Fall Practice

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah...he's good!

Off topic...but someone just DM'd me on Twitter and said since we're running a 4-3 this yr Kylan Johnson is going to be covering the slot/TE in passing situations. Instead of pulling a LB off the field (and letting everyone know what we're in) Randy is just going to keep our 3 LB's in and let Johnson cover. Everyone is saying he's doing a great job in that role because he played safety in HS. Hopefully it works in the games :lol:

I'm pretty sure Mac mentioned that as a possibility and I understood it as one option that they might use, but he wasn't saying that would be their base look.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah...he's good!

Off topic...but someone just DM'd me on Twitter and said since we're running a 4-3 this yr Kylan Johnson is going to be covering the slot/TE in passing situations. Instead of pulling a LB off the field (and letting everyone know what we're in) Randy is just going to keep our 3 LB's in and let Johnson cover. Everyone is saying he's doing a great job in that role because he played safety in HS. Hopefully it works in the games :lol:

Not sure if that is a good idea or not when playing those teams that like to spread things out. I think that is why many teams went to a lot of 2 LB sets against certain teams.

In our spring game we had a few times LBs were chasing wide open WRs.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if that is a good idea or not when playing those teams that like to spread things out. I think that is why many teams went to a lot of 2 LB sets against certain teams.

In our spring game we had a few times LBs were chasing wide open WRs.
I don't think that was the point. You'll match personnel. No way they are going to throw KJ knowingly on a WR for the whole game. I took it as, they have a base personnel in and it goes to an obvious passing down. KJ will stay in and cover rather than get pulled. So the time spent subbing can be used for communicating.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think that was the point. You'll match personnel. No way they are going to throw KJ knowingly on a WR for the whole game. I took it as, they have a base personnel in and it goes to an obvious passing down. KJ will stay in and cover rather than get pulled. So the time spent subbing can be used for communicating.

But that ends up happening some when you play 3 LBs against these passing spread offenses now. The spring game was a good example as Shannon went 3 LBs many times and you had them having to chase WRs sometimes and we are not nearly as pass happy as some offenses even though in the SEC East there isn't many. I wonder how many times against Missouri we lined up in 3 LB sets last season. Some former players seem to think that could be an issue with Shannon being a hard head about wanting to play 3 LBs mostly even if the situation dictates otherwise now.

Johnson is like 236 lb. also so he is not even close to being some hybrid LB/Safety no matter if he has good cover skills for a LB.

Last edited:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

Coach Davis getting on Mike's sorry a$$ at the end. "Does it make sense to go around him or go through him...c'mon get the play started SON" :lol:

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But that ends up happening some when you play 3 LBs against these passing spread offenses now. The spring game was a good example as Shannon went 3 LBs many times and you had them having to chase WRs sometimes and we are not nearly as pass happy as some offenses even though in the SEC East there isn't many. I wonder how many times against Missouri we lined up in 3 LB sets last season. Some former players seem to think that could be an issue with Shannon being a hard head about wanting to play 3 LBs mostly even if the situation dictates otherwise now.

Johnson is like 236 lb. also so he is not even close to being some hybrid LB/Safety no matter if he has good cover skills for a LB.
You're right. Next time I see Shannon and Rumph eating dinner, I'll interrupt and have him hit you up on here.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You're right. Next time I see Shannon and Rumph eating dinner, I'll interrupt and have him hit you up on here.

lol Talk to Nuss why you are at it. Heck maybe there won't be any issues with it just saying some people have said he is a little hard headed and may want to do that a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.