Fishing Videos, Pics and Stories

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Some advice, please, guys. I was given a beautiful custom made spinning rod for Christmas. Reaper Rods out of Punta Gorda. I cannot embarrass the giver by putting a cheap reel on the rod. The rod is single piece, 7 foot, designed to cast plugs between 3/8 and 1 ounce with 10# to 20# line. I think that the rod cost at least $200.
I do mostly inshore, salt water fishing.
What reel do you recommend?
I am pretty certain that I want a braided line with a fluorocarbon leader. Any recommendations for the line.
Thanks for any thoughts. My wife was given an identical rod. Same reel for her?
To complete the story for those of you kind enough to share your thoughts. I bought a Shimano Vanford C3000XG for my wife and a Shimano Stradic C3000XG-L for myself. I appreciate the advice and experiences that were offered.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
To complete the story for those of you kind enough to share your thoughts. I bought a Shimano Vanford C3000XG for my wife and a Shimano Stradic C3000XG-L for myself. I appreciate the advice and experiences that were offered.
Good choices
Now we’re waiting on some fish pictures

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Your going to like that Stradic. Congrats.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Your going to like that Stradic. Congrats.
Thanks. I already like it a lot, and I have only made a few casts. I didn't believe that a good reel would be much better than the ones I was using. I was wrong. Big difference. I should have bought one sooner.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
A nice day on the water yesterday,
Details? General area? Bait?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fished the Mayport jetties Sunday and we had 3 reds ( 2 @ 17 inches and 1 @ 31 inches) , 1 puppy drum, 1 nice 4 lb sheephead, 5 yellow mouth trout, and 1 short flounder. All caught jigging live shrimp.

Last edited:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Fished the Mayport jetties Sunday and we had 3 reds ( 2 @ 17 inches and 1 @ 31 inches) , 1 puppy drum, 1 nice 4 lb sheephead, 5 yellow mouth trout, and 1 short flounder. All caught jigging live shrimp.
Salt is the slot the same on east coast for Reds as the west coast.
Here it’s over 18 and under 27

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is "jigging" a live shrimp the same as "free lining"?
Not really , you rig a live shrimp on a weighted jig head, and are fishing it like you would a grub or plastic worm. At the jetties I am casting it right up at the rocks edge and slowly working it back along the rock edges. Current and structure determine what size weight you want. Jigging live shrimp works just about anywhere, rocks, docks, creek mouths, near oysters, etc.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Salt, How do you hook your shrimp when you jig? Under the horn? First joint from the tail? Thanks.

It really depends on the size of the shrimp. There’s a couple of ways I will do it. Small shrimp sometimes I pinch the tail and thread the hook on through the tail and up the body. Med to large shrimp I will go in at the first joint near the tail. Put the hook through and push through so the jig head is against the shrimp, then twist the hook around a 180 and slide the barb back up in the body of the shrimp. Like your Texas rigging a plastic worm. It’s completely different than hooking under the horn on a float rig.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Took my buddy Russ out yesterday and put him on a new personal best blue catfish for him. It was 46lbs.

IMG_20220404_135708803.jpg

Here's the video in case anyone is interested in seeing the fight.

Last edited:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Took my buddy Russ out yesterday and put him on a new personal best blue catfish for him. It was 46lbs.

Here's the video in case anyone is interested in seeing the fight.

Got two reds, tow Spanish macs , two blues , 3 short flounder, a catfish and three or four puffers. A fun day on the gulf

It’s good to see the Spanish show up lots of fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.