Fishing Videos, Pics and Stories

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up bait casting (drum type reel) for bass. Was very accurate-- could put a lure in a coffee can at 25 or 30 feet. When I retired and took up fishing again, I have fished almost always in salt water with live or dead shrimp. Accuracy hasn't been important. I have never thought of spinning rigs as accurate. Evidently, I am ignorant. So I have been content with inexpensive equipment. Reels have run $20 to $30. Here's the question: what exactly am I buying when I put an expensive for me ($200) reel on the rod? Any ideas appreciated.
I have quite a few shimano reels I have used offshore and inshore for years. What separates them from a Penn for me is a smoother drag and a longer lasting reel. Not saying Penn is bad, I just like shimano better. Inshore I use a 5500C3 and 6500C3 Sweden ambassadors (old school) baitcasters. I have two shimano saros spinning reels , and a Diawa Ballistic spinning reel that can handle big fish like over slot reds. Offshore , I fish with all Shimanos. I use mono on my ambassadors, and braid on 2 of my 3 inshore spinners.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Thanks, Salt, River, and MJM. Good advice and it helps me narrow my search down. You guys must fish a lot. I don't think that I have worn out a spinning reel including an old Mitchell that I have owned for about half a century.
Funny story. I treated my BIL to a guided fishing trip in Louisiana. I have never failed to catch fish with a guide in Louisiana except this trip. We tried "in", we went "out" -- no fish. In desperation the guide resorted to "fishing under the birds". Chasing the birds around the bay where they were feasting on bait fish along with speckled trout (spotted sea trout). We caught fish on every cast, but they were pitifully small. I was so embarrassed! Nothing substantial at all. Then my BIL said that the brand new reel which he put on his rod that day (wanted to use his own gear) had been burned up by the use.I was mortified.
But my BIL bragged on that trip for the rest of his life -- always saying that we caught so many fish that it burned his reel up.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
The new stradics are really nice. Leaps above many others…. The spheros is very nice in the more budget options. Basically an older model stradic.
Now we have to get you a casting rod too

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The new stradics are really nice. Leaps above many others…. The spheros is very nice in the more budget options. Basically an older model stradic.
Post #895. It all started with a new rod.
Edit: does "casting" mean bait casting as distinct from spin?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have two larger spheros I use offshore, I love them. I caught a 40 lb gag on a spheros.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Some advice, please, guys. I was given a beautiful custom made spinning rod for Christmas. Reaper Rods out of Punta Gorda. I cannot embarrass the giver by putting a cheap reel on the rod. The rod is single piece, 7 foot, designed to cast plugs between 3/8 and 1 ounce with 10# to 20# line. I think that the rod cost at least
I do mostly inshore, salt water fishing.
What reel do you recommend?
I am pretty certain that I want a braided line with a fluorocarbon leader. Any recommendations for the line.
Thanks for any thoughts. My wife was given an identical rod. Same reel for her?

If there was a Shimano Stradic and a Penn Battle laying on a table and I could pick one , it would be the Shimano every time.
I’ve been going with a Penn combo for under 200 down at the Hatch with a free return on the rod if I break it.
Both are good reels but must admit the Stradic is a touch better.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If there was a Shimano Stradic and a Penn Battle laying on a table and I could pick one , it would be the Shimano every time.
I’ve been going with a Penn combo for under 200 down at the Hatch with a free return on the rod if I break it.
Both are good reels but must admit the Stradic is a touch better.
I like Shimano much better when I’m casting artificials, but I much prefer Penn for bait fishing (which is what I do most of the time these days). Like I said earlier, I’ve gravitated back to Penn as I’ve aged. I just feel like they’re better overall since I don’t have the arsenal of gear I once had to specialize.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I like Shimano much better when I’m casting artificials, but I much prefer Penn for bait fishing (which is what I do most of the time these days). Like I said earlier, I’ve gravitated back to Penn as I’ve aged. I just feel like they’re better overall since I don’t have the arsenal of gear I once had to specialize.
About 70 percent of the time I’m casting a popping cork with shrimp or gulp and the Penn will cast it a mile, I don’t have a Stradic in my arsenal right now but fished with a friend last weekend that had a 3000 and one thing I noticed is it was smaller and lighter that my Penn. I cast it a few time with just a 1/8 oz lead head and gulp it it was smooth and cast a mile, I can see why Salt likes them so much.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
About 70 percent of the time I’m casting a popping cork with shrimp or gulp and the Penn will cast it a mile, I don’t have a Stradic in my arsenal right now but fished with a friend last weekend that had a 3000 and one thing I noticed is it was smaller and lighter that my Penn. I cast it a few time with just a 1/8 oz lead head and gulp it it was smooth and cast a mile, I can see why Salt likes them so much.
I bought a Lew’s inshore baitcaster and matching rod last year for casting jigs and spoons. It’s awesome for reds.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Interesting fishing trip Monday
Normally this time of year I can catch Black Sea Bass out in 20-25 foot of water but my first 5 stops produced A few Squirrel fish no Blacks. Befour I knew it I was out in 40 ft before I found these and didn’t catch the first Pink Mouth 95E98DA6-E681-4A31-A298-24196144D506.jpeg

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Normally this time of year I can catch Black Sea Bass out in 20-25 foot of water but my first 5 stops produced A few Squirrel fish no Blacks. Befour I knew it I was out in 40 ft before I found these and didn’t catch the first Pink Mouth
That is some good eats for sure.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hey.! I've created a bumper sticker for your boat trailer = "If they outlawed open ocean fishing, I'd be up the creek." :cool:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Normally this time of year I can catch Black Sea Bass out in 20-25 foot of water but my first 5 stops produced A few Squirrel fish no Blacks. Befour I knew it I was out in 40 ft before I found these and didn’t catch the first Pink Mouth
What are they?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Nice Snook I got in the River today
Don’t read the fine print after the picture
F671E493-E2B4-49D3-AF10-1031951D7AD3.jpeg

Died from the cold found it floating

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.