Florida’s overall talent: Bad as we think?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Could have. Sure. Your "could have" is no more accurate than my "could have" which is that one play goes differently and we win the game. In the end they won by a few points which is hardly surprising to me since they were a much better team than us last year, are probably even better this year, and we are still dealing with the same problems. So you can have your opinion that it was a prison rape, and I can read it and say OK.

We hired a coach and made him one of the top 10 highest paid coaches, we shouldn't be seeing a majority of those problems. Especially when we kept hearing all off season about the new attitude, etc... No one is saying this year wouldn't have been a rollercoaster, especially offensively. But when even C2 is saying we got our schit pushed in.... what does that say?

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
As far as the question presented in the OP, yes. Our beloved team is grossly lacking in talent, which is expected after the last several recruiting classes.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As far as the question presented in the OP, yes. Our beloved team is grossly lacking in talent, which is expected after the last several recruiting classes.

agreed.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
We hired a coach and made him one of the top 10 highest paid coaches, we shouldn't be seeing a majority of those problems. Especially when we kept hearing all off season about the new attitude, etc... No one is saying this year wouldn't have been a rollercoaster, especially offensively. But when even C2 is saying we got our schit pushed in.... what does that say?
You’re literally trying to make an exact science out of something that you can’t make an exact science out of.

Stop mentioning salary. It’s beyond repetitive and a non sequitur. To ignore history to prop up your ridiculous assumption that high paid coaches can’t lose to lesser talented and lesser paid coaches is ridiculous. Bad performances happen every week all year long every year for forever.

I’ll say it again. Under your argument, Meyer is a bad coach for being blown out literally last year to Iowa. But he’s not. And this game doesn’t make Mullen a bad coach either. He has a bad team who gave bad effort to a bad team. This team needs to be turned over. In year 3 if we are coming out with performances like this I’ll gladly light his ass up. Hell we better be better next year. It’s game 2 with a bad team.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I'm not sure that there is a coach/savior alive who could turn the last 8 years of hell around and restore us to our football paradise.

For me, I'm praying for a miracle.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You’re literally trying to make an exact science out of something that you can’t make an exact science out of.
No, he was literally trying to figurately make it an exact a literal exact science.

I think you need to get more literal in your posts.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C2 isn't even remotely in the same camp as the chicken littles.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
No, he was literally trying to figurately make it an exact a literal exact science.
LzE72p0.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Stop mentioning salary. It’s beyond repetitive and a non sequitur. To ignore history to prop up your ridiculous assumption that high paid coaches can’t lose to lesser talented and lesser paid coaches is ridiculous. Bad performances happen every week all year long every year for forever.

Coaching is a profession like any other profession, you are paid due to your perceived output. He is paid as a top 10 coach, so we should expect top 10 results.

Do you believe that he gave a top 10 performance at this point in the season?

I’ll say it again. Under your argument, Meyer is a bad coach for being blown out literally last year to Iowa. But he’s not. And this game doesn’t make Mullen a bad coach either. He has a bad team who gave bad effort to a bad team. This team needs to be turned over. In year 3 if we are coming out with performances like this I’ll gladly light his ass up. Hell we better be better next year. It’s game 2 with a bad team.

Never said Mullen was a bad coach, said he was outcoached. I said he doesn't deserve his salary due to his output. In fact in a number of thread I said he was good to very good. But we aren't paying for good to very good. We are paying for top 10. He has a bad team, and his job was to make it a functional good team. It isn't.

It's not like we lost a close game like Meyer and Ole Miss (2009). Or committed a schit ton of turnovers like the +4 Alabama game Louisana-Monroe (2007).

We got run over by a team that was more organized and wanted it more. This wasn't a talent issue it was a organization and a will to win. Offensively we looked bad, but that was expected. Defensively we looked like complete schit, and we made no adjustments.

But the argument people are calling for his firing is a false narrative. If he goes out like Saban and wins the SEC/National Title. This is a non-event. But we have the data we have now, which is 9 years of good, but not elite performance at MSU and a schit show verse the first real D1 school we faced.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Coaching is a profession like any other profession, you are paid due to your perceived output. He is paid as a top 10 coach, so we should expect top 10 results.

Never said Mullen was a bad coach, said he was outcoached. I said he doesn't deserve his salary due to his output. In fact in a number of thread I said he was good to very good. But we aren't paying for good to very good. We are paying for top 10. He has a bad team, and his job was to make it a functional good team. It isn't.

It's not like we lost a close game like Meyer and Ole Miss (2009). Or committed a schit ton of turnovers like the +4 Alabama game Louisana-Monroe (2007).

We got run over by a team that was more organized and wanted it more. This wasn't a talent issue it was a organization and a will to win. Offensively we looked bad, but that was expected. Defensively we looked like complete schit, and we made no adjustments.

But the argument people are calling for his firing is a false narrative. If he goes out like Saban and wins the SEC/National Title. This is a non-event. But we have the data we have now, which is 9 years of good, but not elite performance at MSU and a schit show verse the first real D1 school we faced.
At this point in the season :lmao2: in game 2 :lmao2: inherited a bad team and Doug wants top ten results :lmao2:

I’m not reading anything else you said. That did me in. I’m literally dead

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At this point in the season :lmao2: in game 2 :lmao2: inherited a bad team and Doug wants top ten results :lmao2:

I’m not reading anything else you said. That did me in. I’m literally dead

coaching wise I am, we have top 20 talent... so we should expect 8-9 wins in a roller coaster season...

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
We won 4 games last year, 2 by dumb luck.....
That's true and I think most of us were overly optimistic expecting the team to improve to the point of winning 9 or 10 games. 6 or 7 was a more realistic expectation and depending how we fare against Colorado State & Tennessee, even that could be a pipe dream.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm not sure where some of you guys are seeing and saying that we have more talent than the Kentucky's of the world. I sure don't see that and haven't seen that for years. From actually watching them play I see no players on this team that stand out to me as top talent. I see some players at the skill positions who MAY have talent that we can't see because they lack an o-line or good passer, but so far I've seen no one who I can look at and definitively say is a super star or even better than the players I've seen on teams like Kentucky, South Carolina, Miss. St. or hell, even UCF. Across the board we are a midlevel 30's to 40's ranked team.

Because during our decade of ineptness we have had significantly higher rated recruiting classes than UK and put players into the NFL 3 or 4 to one over UK.
Not disagreeing with most of what you said... but the last time we had a hail mary to win a game, fans were calling into the radio show less than 10 minutes after the game wondering if Butters would last the season. Just putting context to the statement.
Winning the game and keeping the streak alive even if it was by a freak play would have been a helluva a lot better than getting punked by UK at home. I don't think Mullen gets it. This isn't some philosophical logic test. At 6 million a year you have to find a way to beat all the teams with less talent while you are recruiting your ass off bringing in top classes so that you can beat the ones who currently have equal or more talent.

You get a pass against the UGA's and LSU's (although that's a bit of a stretch) and can split with the USC, Mizzou, MSU's the first couple years, but you have to beat the Vandy's and UK's every year, and it doesn't matter if you have to use every trick play in your bag and your entire roster to get it done.

This was a really bad loss for Mullen and you only get so many of these.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

The UK game to me was about where this team is much more so than where Mullin is in terms of his coaching. To expect a "top 10 result" from a first year staff on their second game and first SEC game when their team just went 4-8 the year before is ridiculous.

I think looking ahead at our schedule, our chances are slim to win most matches, but unless he salvages a surprise win against LSU or MSU, or at least win against a terrible FSU (which is more doable probably) then this season is a bust.

What I do ask from Mullen as a Top 10 paid coach this year, is better recruiting. We should be aiming for top 10 class to fix this mess we are in to look forward to the next years. I think we miss the boat on that one this season, but he needs to make adjustments in recruitment to get us ahead.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The UK game to me was about where this team is much more so than where Mullin is in terms of his coaching. To expect a "top 10 result" from a first year staff on their second game and first SEC game when their team just went 4-8 the year before is ridiculous.

I think looking ahead at our schedule, our chances are slim to win most matches, but unless he salvages a surprise win against LSU or MSU, or at least win against a terrible FSU (which is more doable probably) then this season is a bust.

What I do ask from Mullen as a Top 10 paid coach this year, is better recruiting. We should be aiming for top 10 class to fix this mess we are in to look forward to the next years. I think we miss the boat on that one this season, but he needs to make adjustments in recruitment to get us ahead.

UFHeath, did you see top 10 coaching through out the game, did you see the needed adjustments to stop the bleeding.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Tennessee will tell us if they have folded or dug deep and nutted up.

Have to erase last years mindset. Someone needs to make sure they’re not sneaking sauce at night

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.