Florida’s overall talent: Bad as we think?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You're right. He is more like 100ish but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
63rd on this list, but that's with scheduling 4 cupcakes a year so in reality he's far worse. It also hasn't been adjusted for the UK debacle yet so he probably drops a spot or 2. And if you adjust it for winning % vs salary he's in a category all by himself.

Winningest Active Coaches

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Look at the recruiting, Trex can repost if needed.
Gotcha.
You mean top 20 recruiting class avg., not actual top 20 talent. Rankings only matter before a kid signs. Once on campus, you're just another high school kid until you've been coached and developed. And apparently not much of that was taking place under Mac. These kids have learned horrible habits that will take quite a while to break.This team is extremely devoid of talent. There's tons of "potential," though.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
63rd on this list, but that's with scheduling 4 cupcakes a year so in reality he's far worse. It also hasn't been adjusted for the UK debacle yet so he probably drops a spot or 2. And if you adjust it for winning % vs salary he's in a category all by himself.

Winningest Active Coaches
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Do other teams no schedule cupcakes? He was in the SEC west dude.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gotcha.
You mean top 20 recruiting class avg., not actual top 20 talent. Rankings only matter before a kid signs. Once on campus, you're just another high school kid until you've been coached and developed. And apparently not much of that was taking place under Mac. These kids have learned horrible habits that will take quite a while to break.This team is extremely devoid of talent. There's tons of "potential," though.

Hence why I say, I expect top 10 decisions out of the staff, but not top 10 results out of the records. In year, three I expect both to be top 10, if Mullen is worth his salary.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Most teams have a regular out of conference opponent (like FSU for us, Clemson for USC, etc) or at least schedule some good teams out of conference.

Mullinz and company often schedule TWO 1AA teams to pump up the winning percentage. It doesn't count for bowl eligibility but people seem to count them as wins regardless. Bowden did this in the late years too when he was on probation.

I can't think of any other school who scheduled four cupcakes every year. Even the sunbelt teams tended to play UP for one or two games.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Most teams have a regular out of conference opponent (like FSU for us, Clemson for USC, etc) or at least schedule some good teams out of conference.

Mullinz and company often schedule TWO 1AA teams to pump up the winning percentage. It doesn't count for bowl eligibility but people seem to count them as wins regardless. Bowden did this in the late years too when he was on probation.

I can't think of any other school who scheduled four cupcakes every year. Even the sunbelt teams tended to play UP for one or two games.
GMAFB. lagators list of winningest coaches is from every conference in the country and his point is that Mullens ranking on that list is inflated due to cupcakes. Do you really, I mean REALLY think that Mullen had an easier path to total victories than most of the other coaches on that list? C'mon.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

We play FSU, Georia plays Tech, USC plays Clemson, UK plays Louisville, AU played Washington, even Bama, UT and LSU schedule respectable OOC opponents here and there. The Mullen lead MSU team had the most embarrassing OOC scheduling in the entire SEC, but forget the cupcakes, with or without them he has a mediocre winning percentage and really bad conference winning percentage. The fact is we hired a coach with a weak overall record and a losing conference record but are paying him top money. If that makes sense to you then there is no problem.

But for those of us that thought that was a terrible administrative decision, the UK game simply helped confirm what we already thought. But we're stuck with him so all we can do is keep watching and hoping he isn't who his record says he is.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We just lost to Kentucky and the pumpers are in full pumper mode. STFU. It's a bad bad loss. A crap stain on the underwear of the football program. We're still gonna cheer and hope and pray we win them all but stop the excuses already. Haven't you learned your lessons after the last two idiots? Let's wait and see what happens but this loss doesn't give me any extra encouragement that Mullen is the guy.

F ing Kentucky.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
With that logic, how does UK hoops ever lose a game?

Hoops? I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about. My point is to the people saying we are devoid of talent. We're not. It's not what we are used to but it's enough to beat UK at home. Mullen got outcoached. It happens.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Hoops? I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about. My point is to the people saying we are devoid of talent. We're not. It's not what we are used to but it's enough to beat UK at home. Mullen got outcoached. It happens.
Gators aren't doing $hit without an OL, QB and defense. RB's and WR's don't matter without the first three. We are devoid of talent where it matters.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I maybe a way off sunshine pumper but we had 20 missed tackles. We were all over them and let them go.

168 yards after contact.

We had several open dropped passes.

I think we can get this turned around.

LSU lost to TROY. They were atrocious the whole year. The next week against US (UF) guess what? They turned it around.

Last week was not about talent. We just got @^!@# slapped.

We lack intensity. We have got to get nasty.

Play only those who want it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

I found your exchange with LA interesting, so I went in search of a website to give me stats on SOS from year to year.

I found this one.

NCAA College Football Strength of Schedule Rankings & Ratings

Okay, maybe not the most authoritative source, but they're applying the metric equally, so what the heck.

Average SOS rank since 2009.

MSU 23.33
Florida 18.55

Interestingly, the two years Mullen's teams flourished, 2014, and 2015, the SOS was 10th and ninth, respectively.

I would have figured higher for MSU given the divisional sked. Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator