Florida State is in shambles: throw INT in end zone after being in winning FG range

Which would you rather see?

• UF wins 2020 National Championship

Votes: 146 81.1%
  • FSU football program permanently dismantled

Votes: 34 18.9%

• Total voters

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Firing Willie isn’t necessarily bad. If they pick another disaster to follow - especially if they fire in less than 3 years again - that job will be the Chernobyl of college football. No one would go near it.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
This is the point of inversion for FSU. The wing has stalled and instead of recovering, they are about mash the rudder and initiate a snap roll and nose dive into the ground. They are Tennessee bound. Book it.
Reminds me of my first flight instructor at G-ville airport: push on yoke; trees get bigger. pull on yoke; trees get smaller. Keep pulling on yoke; trees impale you. Let's hope the 'nulls keep pulling.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m guessing FSU boosters in the state capital move enough money around to bail FSU out. Just watch.
yup. ive been saying all year, if he has another loser of a season, hes gone, no matter the buyout. fsu is as crooked and corrupt as they come, theyll find a way to pay that buyout, and likely do it with your tax dollars.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Good lord, am I gonna have to start pulling for the Noles to win some, just so they get stuck with this loser longer? Think I’m gonna be sick.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Is exit strategy being discussed for WiLLLLLLLie Taggart?

“I believe an exit strategy is being discussed,” Newberg said in his “On the Bench” podcast. “It’s not a certainty right now. Nothing is done but it is getting real. I’m told that this is a situation where Jimmy Sexton and the FSU administration have been in touch. They have been talking directly about money and a potential buyout-slash-negotiation if it is to come to that. Yeah. I think in the scenario where Taggart does get let go, it’s if this team continues to go down the path that it’s going, continues to play and make the same mistakes that it has. And on the business side, there’s a deal that gets struck in the background.
Assuming Newberg actually has some inside info and he's not talking out of his azz, what is there to negotiate from willie's POV? What does he gain by taking a penny less than everything he's owed? The only wiggle room I can see is if they agree to pay him more, but stretch out the payments. One thing's for sure, FSU is not winning a negotiation with Jimmy Sexton - not when he's holding all the cards. (And the nulls are probably well aware of this.)

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gosh I love this story. As long as Willie has not violated a clause in his contract, if terminated he would be guaranteed $17MIL. Does that have to be paid up front? doubt it, so that would cost $4.25MIL for the next 4 years, provided he does not get another job and that portion offsets the buyout. Well they can't afford $4.25 MIL in dead money so I say Willie should play hardballs. He could ask for the present value of $17MIL now, which won;t save the :nole: much b/c interest rates are low. So maybe Willie should pull a Bobby Bonilla. In exchange for saving you money annually, how about you pay me 1 MIL annually for the next 30 years? I like it! Do not cave Willie, do not cave!

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Good lord, am I gonna have to start pulling for the Noles to win some, just so they get stuck with this loser longer? Think I’m gonna be sick.
You’re assuming they make a good hire. What personnel decisions have they made lately that give you that confidence - especially considering their desperate financial situation?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm having a hard time believing anyone good enough to salvage that program at its current point would be willing to come, especially considering the amount they could afford to pay, and the mess theyd be tasked with cleaning up. Good coaches are hard to come by, and rarely want to walk into a full on dumpster fire. The only way a good one would be willing, and lets be serious - itll take a real good one to turn that thing around, would be for some serious compensation.

They may be able to get rid of slick willie, but they likely wont have enough left over to capitalize on it. I'd say at this point, there's a higher risk of their program turning into the next UT by firing him, than if they simply give him 2 more years and get rid of him without mortgaging the program.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I'm having a hard time believing anyone good enough to salvage that program at its current point would be willing to come, especially considering the amount they could afford to pay, and the mess theyd be tasked with cleaning up. Good coaches are hard to come by, and rarely want to walk into a full on dumpster fire. The only way a good one would be willing, and lets be serious - itll take a real good one to turn that thing around, would be for some serious compensation.

They may be able to get rid of slick WiLLLLLLLie, but they likely wont have enough left over to capitalize on it. I'd say at this point, there's a higher risk of their program turning into the next UT by firing him, than if they simply give him 2 more years and get rid of him without mortgaging the program.
Let’s be honest - how much fun is it to watch them in this lose-lose situation? The best case scenario for them is to luck into an up and comer who’s willing to seriously gamble on his future. Its possible but certainly not probable.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I have posted this before, but will do so again. Here are the names which keep popping up to replace wiLLLLLLLLLLLie:

1. Dino Babers

2. Mike Leach

3. Dave Clawson

4. Mike Gundy

5. Urban Meyer

6. Matt Campbell

Number 5 isn't happening and Gundy's name always pops up in these things. He always says no.
They’d be lucky to get Babers, who I guess is okay, but nothing special. You can cross the rest of those off the list.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Assuming Newberg actually has some inside info and he's not talking out of his azz,
He isn't the only one reporting this. This has been going on a while. The new part of this is the possibility he's canned sometime in the next 24-48 hours. I doubt that. However, I'd be stunned if he is back next year.

They’d be lucky to get Babers, who I guess is okay, but nothing special. You can cross the rest of those off the list.

I like Babers. But, he just signed a new deal extending to 2024. I assume a large buyout goes with it. Campbell's buyout is 7 million. The problem with a Babers, Campbell or Clawson is that just because they are successful at a smaller school, does not mean he'll be good at an fsux. The recruiting and competition are an entirely different ball game.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
You’re assuming they make a good hire. What personnel decisions have they made lately that give you that confidence - especially considering their desperate financial situation?

I don’t want to take that chance, they got a loser now. I want them to be stuck with him for at least 4 years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Realistically, how much can they actually afford to pay a coach? $5M/yr is what they could afford to pay Willie. His buyout is $4.2M/yr for the next 4 years. With revenue and attendance in decline can they afford to pay anybody worth a damn? The fans ain't coming back for a ho-humm hire.
I'll repeat, it's really important to hobble them in recruiting this year.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I don’t want to take that chance, they got a loser now. I want them to be stuck with him for at least 4 years.
I’m with you, just saying there’s a silver lining here. They stay with willie, they might fundraise enough to match his buyout and pay the next guy competitively. They can him now, the financials are jacked, the next guy has to know he’s on a short leash, and if he fails, they’re doomed for years.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Firing WiLLLLLLLie isn’t necessarily bad. If they pick another disaster to follow - especially if they fire in less than 3 years again - that job will be the Chernobyl of college football. No one would go near it.

:britney:

Name a single coach fsu could possibly hire that would be worse than the shyt show going on there now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator