Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
latest

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Home losses like this can be the difference between making it in or not. Still can't believe we don't have a guard that can shoot at all.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We have our chances to get into the NCAA Tourney. Just need to win the SEC games against some tough teams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I like the optimism, coach. But we are an instant gratification fan base especially with the talent level. I still think White will be a great coach at UF once he gets his players in. Took Billy D 3 years to get it going.
Why would you think this? These players are WAY BETTER than anything he has ever recruited as far as I can tell. His first class is weak. What makes you think when Billy's players leave we are somehow going to be better (Billy was the second best recruiter in the SEC)?

Optimism and giving the guy a chance is fine, but what evidence do you have at all that we are somehow going to be upgraded when playing with White's player? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Maybe he has some outstanding recruiting history I'm not aware of.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Lag. This guy gets players to play Def and play unselfishly. We dont know if he can recruit yet. But he can certainly find some guys with better shooting skills than the current roster, dont you think? Billy did not light up the world right away, John Wooden went over 13 years before he became JohnFCKn Wooden........patience grass hopper.....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, freshman Kevaughn Allen had a "breakout game" with 32 points.
Can't remember when last we had a 25+ scorer ? Now if he can keep some
similar level of scoring (18+), maybe others will start scoring too. At least such
will draw defenses away from Hayes and Egbunu underneath. Murphy should try
for a medical redshirt.? Of course, Egbunu needs to learn how to play without getting
into foul trouble; he's got a great upside.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
similar level of scoring (18+), maybe others will start scoring too. At least such
for a medical redshirt.? Of course, Egbunu needs to learn how to play without getting
DFS and Frazier II both had 25+ point games last year. Last 30+ point game was Frazier II two years ago (37).

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Why would you think this? These players are WAY BETTER than anything he has ever recruited as far as I can tell. His first class is weak. What makes you think when Billy's players leave we are somehow going to be better (Billy was the second best recruiter in the SEC)?

Optimism and giving the guy a chance is fine, but what evidence do you have at all that we are somehow going to be upgraded when playing with White's player? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Maybe he has some outstanding recruiting history I'm not aware of.

Fair questions. You are correct. The talent level is beyond what White has worked with, but Billy D couldn't get anything out of these guys. I'm not suggesting the talent level will be automatically upgraded once these guys leave, but maybe it will be in a few years. Allen, Egbunu, Robinson are immensely talented. Transitioning to a new coach is not easy.

It's no secret Billy D wasn't a big fan of recruiting, but dang could he develop guys (Wilbekin, Parsons, etc). Also, some of the guys Billy recruited haven't panned out as we thought. We desperately need a PG like Taurean Green or Wilbekin who can knock down from 18 feet+ consistently, and I think White will find a guy like that. I hope Allen will start to come on strong after the performance he had. As much as I like DFS, he seems to disappear at times.

Next year's recruiting class won't be great due to a new coach and the lack of numbers White can take. But, Eric Hester seems like a baller (6'3 combo guard).

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've mentioned this before : this low shooting % (FTs included) has got to be
in-the-act second-guessing confidence lack, since these guys shot decent averages
in H.S. to get recruited.?? The court positions are exactly the same, the rim diameter
is the same, the ball is the same size, that backboard bank-it square means the same.
The speed-of-the-game is 85% just bringing it down the court. Once the play is spaced
out, defenses are not really challenging our outside shot, knowing our %s are so unlikely.

FT% is an lept-on enigma-TAU fraternity ?? White needs to get a UF professor from the
Psych Dept to teach our guys self-hypnosis with focused "visualization" to practice
15 minutes everyday. Hell, do it as a controlled experiment with half the starters doing
the visualizations and half not. Tested studies guarantee that the visualizers will get
an increase in FT% and FG% if they visualize that. In the shooting %s we have, some
thinking-outside-the-box is warranted. In my 4 year college BB career, I practiced
visualization and in 4 years I never missed a FT -- hit both of them.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
DFS and Frazier II both had 25+ point games last year. Last 30+ point game was Frazier II two years ago (37).

Thanks "B de la P", you're right. I forgot about those occasions. Still, my hope (the hope)
is that Allen is emerging as a Tauren Green type leader and sharpshooter. Hope he keeps
it up and teammates rally to match. Just a 7% shooting % increase and our W-L could be
10-1 or 9-2 or better.? IMHO, these guys will improve greatly.

I have watched bits of other BB teams' games and most (on both sides) look like they're
outplaying our guys ... and out-coaching our coach. But this is his first year and he's not been
a CBB HC on the big floor. At least on TV he's not on the sidelines red-faced, veins bursting
yelling with that "I hate you" rabid-eyes.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Allen is great, so is Hayes. Both are also Billy's recruits, not White's. 2016 will be the first class White recruited and so far it looks like a total disaster. Short of a miracle his tenure could be very short lived. 3rd place in the state will get old real fast.

Check out the 2016 top 100: https://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks "B de la P", you're right. I forgot about those occasions. Still, my hope (the hope)
is that Allen is emerging as a Tauren Green type leader and sharpshooter. Hope he keeps
it up and teammates rally to match.

Allen is more physical than Green and more of a slasher. Green was so good at hitting that 15 ft+ jump shot curling around the screen. Green was also cool, calm, and collected..same as Wilbekin. From what has been said about Allen, he works his tail off. In the off-season, he was upset about not getting in the gym at like 5 AM because the doors are not programmed to open until later. Allen's upside is tremendous.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Allen is great, so is Hayes. Both are also Billy's recruits, not White's. 2016 will be the first class White recruited and so far it looks like a total disaster. Short of a miracle his tenure could be very short lived. 3rd place in the state will get old real fast.

Check out the 2016 top 100: https://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

White had to work Allen hard to get him to stay on board at UF. Allen could have easily been elsewhere.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
White had to work Allen hard to get him to stay on board at UF. Allen could have easily been elsewhere.
Doesn't change the fact that he was Billy's recruit. 2016 is where White's players start. I hope he has some tricks up his sleeve.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I hope he does too, but the numbers aren't allowing him to take a big class. He has 2 already, and that might be it.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I hope he does too, but the numbers aren't allowing him to take a big class. He has 2 already, and that might be it.
I know but if you can only take 2, they should be impact players. Where is our class ranked, 70th nationally or so?

I'm not anti White. He might be a great young coach but his only hope is to find a way to win big with Billy's players in order to keep the momentum of the program going, or to be some recruiting guru who can nab top players away from the UK's, Duke's and Kanas's.

So far we are losing all of the key OOC matchups and have a very mediocre recruiting class. It's an inauspicious start. Falling behind Miami and FSU on the court and the recruiting trail is simply unacceptable and will lead to change quickly.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Lord lag, that ESPN 100 recruits' list portends famine for Gators.
Our future does not look bright, does it.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Allen is more physical than Green and more of a slasher. Green was so good at hitting that 15 ft+ jump shot curling around the screen. Green was also cool, calm, and collected..same as Wilbekin. From what has been said about Allen, he works his tail off. In the off-season, he was upset about not getting in the gym at like 5 AM because the doors are not programmed to open until later. Allen's upside is tremendous.
Love the work ethic but Allen looks like a bad 3pt shooter and has terrible shot mechanics. Same with BFR. In the game it looks horrible. In practice and shoot around the shots look decent. Even Robinson looks good in shoot around. I swear there is a total mental collapse when our players shoot during games. Not sure what is causing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.