***Florida vs Ohio St NIT BBALL Thread***

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I agree that in general it is better to make the NCAAs vs the NIT, but I am not sure it is better for a first year coach rebuilding a team and especially for this coach and this team. If you get a 14 seed and are out right away you don't really end the year on a very high note and you also lose more development time. If you can get several wins in the NIT, however, you have a chance to build some momentum going into the following year. If these guys can win one more and get to NY for the NIT final 4 I think it will definitely be a much better outcome especially when there are so many examples of how teams who are successful in the NIT one year not only make the NCAAs the following year but also make good runs once they get there. One thing is for sure, this team can really benefit from some more practice at learning how to win in clutch situations.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Would you be more upset if we don't win the NIT than if we lost to a 15 seed in the real tournament? There are a ton of ways to look at it all. My view is that it was a let-down to miss out on the NCAA tournament, especially with what little we had to do to get there down the stretch. We proved we weren't consistent enough to deserve the NCAA tournament, and had we snuck in we would have had an early exit. At the end of the day no matter what tournament we made we would have been disappointed with the end result because that is what this team was; a disappointment.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Would you be more upset if we don't win the NIT than if we lost to a 15 seed in the real tournament? There are a ton of ways to look at it all. My view is that it was a let-down to miss out on the NCAA tournament, especially with what little we had to do to get there down the stretch. We proved we weren't consistent enough to deserve the NCAA tournament, and had we snuck in we would have had an early exit. At the end of the day no matter what tournament we made we would have been disappointed with the end result because that is what this team was; a disappointment.

I think that may be a bit too harsh. Remember the core of this team had a losing season last year and didn't get any kind of postseason tournament appearance. I think they are more of a work in progress and though they definitely did disappoint, they never gave up as evidenced by this surprising run in the NITs which may actually make a big difference on next year's performance. If they were truly disappointing then they wouldn't have showed up in the NIT either. I really think these guys have a lot of character but we just need them to develop more of a killer instinct. It would also help if we could recruit someone who was a consistent scorer too.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I think that may be a bit too harsh. Remember the core of this team had a losing season last year and didn't get any kind of postseason tournament appearance. I think they are more of a work in progress and though they definitely did disappoint, they never gave up as evidenced by this surprising run in the NITs which may actually make a big difference on next year's performance. If they were truly disappointing then they wouldn't have showed up in the NIT either. I really think these guys have a lot of character but we just need them to develop more of a killer instinct. It would also help if we could recruit someone who was a consistent scorer too.
It's the harsh reality of being a member of a Gators team that doesn't meet expectations. When this team was on a roll and beat WV, expectations were raised. From coaches to players, they all caved at the end of a season that showed promise, and in-turn disappointed their fan base.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
It's the harsh reality of being a member of a Gators team that doesn't meet expectations. When this team was on a roll and beat WV, expectations were raised. From coaches to players, they all caved at the end of a season that showed promise, and in-turn disappointed their fan base.
Fair enough - I guess I was not so optimistic going into this season so I view that period as more exceeding my expectations. Therefore , though I was admittedly disappointed when they came back to earth, I don't view them as a disappointment overall because I wasn't really expecting for them to come back into relevance that quickly after last year anyway.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Fair enough - I guess I was not so optimistic going into this season so I view that period as more exceeding my expectations. Therefore , though I was admittedly disappointed when they came back to earth, I don't view them as a disappointment overall because I wasn't really expecting for them to come back into relevance that quickly after last year anyway.
I agree with you. I guess it's the perception of any given season. To look back at our football season it's easy now to say that was a disappointing ending, but nobody really expected us to win that many and there is the hope that Grier would have made a difference. The basketball team didn't really lose that big glaring piece that the football team did and the competition they were dropping games to wasn't at the same level.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This conversation seems so absurd. WE ALL WANT TO MAKE THE DANCE. We want to be relevant. We want to win games in the Dance. But would you seriously want to be a 2 seed and lose to a 15 seed the first damned day instead of winning games in the NIT. MSU became that one shining moment of embarrassment while we just keep getting to play. No contest. Now if you told me we win one game Im up for that. And I would rather be a 9 seed (or 8 or 7 or 6 or 5) and lose the first game. BUT NEVER a 2 or 1 to lose on day one. I guess we just disagree/
I guess I just don't understand the stance you and jboss and others are taking. Of course, if we could see into the future it would make sense not to want to lose as a 2 seed, or in the first round of any tourney for that matter. But alas, we can't predict the future, so it is what it is. I'd still rather make the dance (at any seed) and lose in the first round, than play in the NIT. If we had made the tourney, at least we would have had a chance to to make some noise in the only tourney that really matters.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think they are more of a work in progress and though they definitely did disappoint, they never gave up as evidenced by this surprising run in the NITs

I wouldn't call winning the first two NIT games surprising - it's what they were supposed to do as they were the higher seed and favored in both games. We will be again Wednesday vs. GW and maybe even at MSG if we get to the Final 4. The way I see it, this is our tournament to lose. And I don't discount that it will be a huge challenge with one more road game and missing Egbunu for the rest of em. Go Gators!
:chomp:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The whole "atleast we're not Michigan state argument" may be the worst I've ever heard on here. Probably is. Congrats pe and jboss!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is ridiculous. I don't understand why anybody would rather win in the NIT than lose in the NCAA tournament. Making the NCAA tournament is better than being in the NIT. Yes.. Michigan State got upset and will be part of one shining moment... you know who won't be part of one shining moment.... UF... even if we win the NIT... why.... because it is the NIT.

This is the Not Invited Tournament...

I get that it is good for this team to keep playing and get experience, but getting the experience of playing (even if losing) in the NCAA tourney would have been better.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just new angle thinking.
NIT used to be the preeminent tourney. (It started a year prior to NCAA tourney & had the
marquee venue Madison Square Garden.) In 1974 Al McGuire (Marquette) chose the NIT
over their NCAA offer. After that, the NCAA barred any school declining their tourney from
playing in any postseason games elsewhere.

Antitrust lawsuit filed, NCAA fixed by buying the NIT ... that's right, the NCAA owns the NIT in
both senses of that word. There is now favorable consideration (= it will happen) of expanding
March Madness to 96 teams ! This leads to most all Power-6 Conference teams getting in and
then #s 97+ can start complaining.

This different POV shows that by the earlier expansions of the MMadness, once NIT-bound teams
became Big Dance teams ... further expansion = top NIT seeds will be at MMadness = blurred lines.

PS>> Heard March Madness is considering inviting a year-away all-star team of Kentucky's
high school recruits.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This conversation seems so absurd. WE ALL WANT TO MAKE THE DANCE. We want to be relevant. We want to win games in the Dance. But would you seriously want to be a 2 seed and lose to a 15 seed the first damned day instead of winning games in the NIT. MSU became that one shining moment of embarrassment while we just keep getting to play. No contest. Now if you told me we win one game Im up for that. And I would rather be a 9 seed (or 8 or 7 or 6 or 5) and lose the first game. BUT NEVER a 2 or 1 to lose on day one. I guess we just disagree/

+1

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is ridiculous. I don't understand why anybody would rather win in the NIT than lose in the NCAA tournament. Making the NCAA tournament is better than being in the NIT. Yes.. Michigan State got upset and will be part of one shining moment... you know who won't be part of one shining moment.... UF... even if we win the NIT... why.... because it is the NIT.

I get that it is good for this team to keep playing and get experience, but getting the experience of playing (even if losing) in the NCAA tourney would have been better.

I'd rather that we play in the NCAA tournament and win some games in it. I wouldn't want to play in the NIT or lose the first game of the NCAA tournament.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I wouldn't call winning the first two NIT games surprising - it's what they were supposed to do as they were the higher seed and favored in both games. We will be again Wednesday vs. GW and maybe even at MSG if we get to the Final 4. The way I see it, this is our tournament to lose. And I don't discount that it will be a huge challenge with one more road game and missing Egbunu for the rest of em. Go Gators!
:chomp:
Given our road record and the disappointment of not making the big boys' tournament and the general inability to shoot FTs and 3s we've seen so often, aren't you willing to admit it was at least a little surprising? Either way I agree with you that I hope they continue to win according to seeds for at least the next game anyway. :)

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

Don't think anyone said they'd rather win in the NIT than lose in the NCAAs. From my perspective, anyway, it is whether it is better for your team's development to get a really low seed and get whacked in the first round or is it better to win some NIT games and gain some momentum for the next year. I think it is better to win some games personally but it is not really an awesome situation either way.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Given our road record and the disappointment of not making the big boys' tournament and the general inability to shoot FTs and 3s we've seen so often, aren't you willing to admit it was at least a little surprising? Either way I agree with you that I hope they continue to win according to seeds for at least the next game anyway. :)
Surprised they are making FTs and shooting better, on the road? Okay, I'll give you that, but I'm not surprised we're winning - happy, but not surprised. We've been the higher seed and should win against lesser teams. I won't be surprised if we lose either. :wink:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Surprised they are making FTs and shooting better, on the road? Okay, I'll give you that, but I'm not surprised we're winning - happy, but not surprised. We've been the higher seed and should win against lesser teams. I won't be surprised if we lose either. :wink:
We can definitely agree that it is great they are winning and it is not a given it'll stay that way. :) I think we are also very much in agreement that we hope they do!

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We can definitely agree that it is great they are winning and it is not a given it'll stay that way. :) I think we are also very much in agreement that we hope they do!
giphy.gif

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
In its first two NIT games, Florida shot a combined 48.5 percent from the field (64-for-132) and 43.1 percent from beyond the arc (22-for-51). White, on Tuesday, said the reason for Florida's recent success is simple: UF is shooting the ball better.

Deep, coach. Deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.