***Florida vs Ohio St NIT BBALL Thread***

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
After destroying San Diego State, George Washington is playing in the NIT final against Valpo. What could have been? We had a chance to be #69!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Tommy Bartlett won 21 games during the regular season when he inherited a team that was loaded to include the best player in school history (Neal Walk) that Norm Sloan left for him.

Oh by the way, he was fired 2-3 years later when the talent he inherited was gone.

Just saying, I don't think there is any comparison between the two situations.
You do realize that your reply re-enforces my argument, don't you?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just new angle thinking.
NIT used to be the preeminent tourney. (It started a year prior to NCAA tourney & had the
marquee venue Madison Square Garden.) In 1974 Al McGuire (Marquette) chose the NIT
over their NCAA offer. After that, the NCAA barred any school declining their tourney from
playing in any postseason games elsewhere.

Antitrust lawsuit filed, NCAA fixed by buying the NIT ... that's right, the NCAA owns the NIT in
both senses of that word. There is now favorable consideration (= it will happen) of expanding
March Madness to 96 teams ! This leads to most all Power-6 Conference teams getting in and
then #s 97+ can start complaining.

This different POV shows that by the earlier expansions of the MMadness, once NIT-bound teams
became Big Dance teams ... further expansion = top NIT seeds will be at MMadness = blurred lines.

PS>> Heard March Madness is considering inviting a year-away all-star team of Kentucky's
high school recruits.

You've been twerking Miley Cyrus again, haven't you?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You do realize that your reply re-enforces my argument, don't you?

Yes, I can see that but I am also trying (maybe not so well) to say that there is no comparison to the two situations nor does winning twenty mean anything.
The Bartlett example proves that you can back into twenty wins without doing a great job. in Bartlett's case all he had to do was hold on.
In White's case he also inherited a solid team and backed into twenty wins without winning anything meaningful. The jury is out on White and I am still hopeful that he gets it going. However, I just fail to see how anyone that follows the team closely can consider White's performance this year a success. We play in THE worst major conference in the country and yet we finished 9-9.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
GW was a quality team. The beat the hell out of all the teams in the nit but us. They also beat UVA this year. A pretty good team. If you actually watched how they play you saw a solid team with great chemistry and skills and EXPERIENCE.....

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yes, I can see that but I am also trying (maybe not so well) to say that there is no comparison to the two situations nor does winning twenty mean anything.
The Bartlett example proves that you can back into twenty wins without doing a great job. in Bartlett's case all he had to do was hold on.
In White's case he also inherited a solid team and backed into twenty wins without winning anything meaningful. The jury is out on White and I am still hopeful that he gets it going. However, I just fail to see how anyone that follows the team closely can consider White's performance this year a success. We play in THE worst major conference in the country and yet we finished 9-9.
Meh, maybe. The jury is certainly still out, but most of that "solid" team was coached last year by one of the best coaches in basketball-- and to a losing record. If we improve as much next year as we did this year, we will be worth watching.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe we had the 6th toughest SOS in the country - our OOC schedule was brutal for a first year coach. 20 wins was an accomplishment, if nothing else. But also agree that I would not call this year a success. If we had just reached the dance, I would have thought it a success, but we floundered down the stretch and did not deserve a bid.
Next year our OOC SOS will not be as tough, but we'll also be playing all of our OOC away from home, which should pose a real challenge for this young team who is losing their silent leader in DFS. Heck, I can't even find a posted 2016-17 schedule yet, so I have no clue who we're playing, or where.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meh, maybe. The jury is certainly still out, but most of that "solid" team was coached last year by one of the best coaches in basketball-- and to a losing record. If we improve as much next year as we did this year, we will be worth watching.
If by most you mean less than half, then sure. Keep telling yourself that.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Next year our OOC SOS will not be as tough, but we'll also be playing all of our OOC away from home, which should pose a real challenge for this young team
As it stands now, our starting lineup projects to be RSJr Egbunu, RSSr (6th year) Murphy, Jr Robinson, So Allen, and Sr Hill, with Sr Leon the first guy off the bench. In college basketball it doesn't get much older than that.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As it stands now, our starting lineup projects to be RSJr Egbunu, RSSr (6th year) Murphy, Jr Robinson, So Allen, and Sr Hill, with Sr Leon the first guy off the bench. In college basketball it doesn't get much older than that.
The argument will still be that this isn't White's team and we'll have to wait for more of his recruits to come in.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I should have said, 'inexperienced' team (BTW: we were just below the 300th youngest team for the season that just ended).

I'm going by years of experience actually playing major college BB (not age or class):

Hill - 3 (our most experienced player)
Egbunu - 2 (one of those at USF)
Murph2 (if he gets a medical waiver) - <2 (has played less than 600 minutes of college BB, ~20min/game for 28 games - that's only one season really)
D. Rob - 2
Leon - 1 (2 years at JUCO)
Allen - 1 (our best player going into next year will be a sophomore)

Chorizo will be a Jr and the other half of the team will be Freshmen and Sophs (I'm not including Rimmer in this discussion as he's really just a liability).
Still a relatively young team IMO, as we'll be counting on Hayes a lot more, I think Stone will be asked to fill some of the missing DFS role, and I believe we'll see a bit of Hester (long, tall guard), especially when we're in pressure defensive situations.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since there is so much to improve on, I can be optimistic that the players-team will play better
next year. However, I see White needing plenty improvement at in-game coaching. Far too many
games this year I watched this team play as if a small lead was safe to get sloppy with or as if there
was no need to play smart "in-the-moment" to close a score-gap before too late ?? Those flaws
must be corrected to assuage my fan frustration. They seem to be coach-flaws.??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator