Florida's starting quarterback against Tennessee will be decided later in the week

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/08b15...see-later-week
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Florida's starting quarterback against Tennessee will be decided later in the week.
Although redshirt freshman Will Grier played the entire game at Kentucky, a 14-9 victory Saturday, coach Jim McElwain hasn't committed to giving Grier a third consecutive start when the Gators (3-0, 1-0 Southeastern Conference) host the Volunteers (2-1) on Saturday.
Grier completed 13 of 22 passes for 125 yards, with a touchdown and an interception against the Wildcats. He also ran 12 times for a team-high 61 yards and a score. McElwain says Grier used "his feet as a check down" too often and left plays on the field.
Grier has thrown for 442 yards and four touchdowns. He also has two interceptions and a fumble.
Sophomore Treon Harris has thrown for 269 yards and two scores.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't surprise me after the last 2 weeks. He will probably start Grier but may have a short leash if he thinks a change needs to happen depending on how things are going.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing but gamesmanship. We need all the edges we can get.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Griers already scared to throw the ball down because of his benching against ecu. Just pick a guy and roll with him.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
I'd like to see Harris get another shot. Grier has the obvious upside but his play was mediocre in a lot of both the ECU and KY games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n283045]Nothing but gamesmanship. We need all the edges we can get. [/QUOTE]

With his quote in there it sounds like he isn't real pleased with the position right now.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We all know damn well Grier is going to start, he's just 1. keeping UT on their toes and 2. trying to motivate Grier. Flip flopping starters yet again so early in the season would be silly, and Mac doesn't strike me as silly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n283050 said:
With his quote in there it sounds like he isn't real pleased with the position right now.
I'm sure he isn't but he can ill afford to change horses that rapidly heading into the SEC stretch. He's committed.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Doopree;n283049 said:
I'd like to see Harris get another shot. Grier has the obvious upside but his play was mediocre in a lot of both the ECU and KY games.

I think we may see him come in sometime during the Tenn game depending on how things are going. If Grier is doing well we probably won't see him unless its just for a few designed plays.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I don't think it's gamesmanship, think he's seriously trying to decide who to start and will use this week's practice as tiebreaker. There's no denying Grier struggled some against UK. He also fumbled and threw a Pic in the endzone. So if you're not getting the Ball security you are looking for, and not exploiting the passing advantage he has over Treon, then it's not a slam dunk. Plus Treon came in and won the game against UT last year so has that X-factor.

I do expect it to be Will, but would say it's only slightly in his favor and if Treon has a good week and Will stuggles in practice, seeing Treon start wouldn't surprise me.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n283045]Nothing but gamesmanship. We need all the edges we can get. [/QUOTE]

That's what I think.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Grier has real potential. Treon doesn't. Put Grier in and let him take his lumps this year. This back and forth crap is stupid.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n283072 said:
Grier has real potential. Treon doesn't. Put Grier in and let him take his lumps this year. This back and forth crap is stupid.

Treon has no potential? That's a pretty sh*tty thing to say about the kid.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n283064 said:
I don't think it's gamesmanship, think he's seriously trying to decide who to start and will use this week's practice as tiebreaker. There's no denying Grier struggled some against UK. He also fumbled and threw a Pic in the endzone. So if you're not getting the Ball security you are looking for, and not exploiting the passing advantage he has over Treon, then it's not a slam dunk. Plus Treon came in and won the game against UT last year so has that X-factor.

I do expect it to be Will, but would say it's only slightly in his favor and if Treon has a good week and Will stuggles in practice, seeing Treon start wouldn't surprise me.

You're micromanaging a bit too much IMO. Think big picture. You've handed the ball to your redshirt freshman on the road in a hostile SEC environment (never thought I'd say that about Kentucky) and you've come out with a win. Yeah, he effed the throw in the end zone but did the offensive line make his job or the running backs' jobs any easier? I don't think so. Grier's the guy.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I really think this is a recipe for disaster. We're not supposed to win anything so it is hard to get too upset short term. Long term? Get ONE guy ready and stick with him. Pick someone. The kids can't perform looking over their shoulder. Geez.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac is such an amateur when it comes to Head Coach stuff sometimes. It's annoying.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n283084 said:
Mac is such an amateur when it comes to Head Coach stuff sometimes. It's annoying.

Why is he an amateur? Meyer isn't settled on a QB today either. Is he an amateur, as well?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n283076]

You're micromanaging a bit too much IMO. Think big picture. You've handed the ball to your redshirt freshman on the road in a hostile SEC environment (never through I'd say that about Kentucky) and you've come out with a win. Yeah, he effed the throw in the end zone but did the offensive line make his job or the running backs' jobs any easier? I don't think so. Grier's the guy. [/QUOTE]
I mostly agree and would prefer Grier because I think he is the future, but we have no idea what Mac is really thinking. We don't even really know him yet other than there's a lot more intensity than he initially let on. I am getting the idea from his post-game pressers that he isn't much for playing games, and isn't real happy with the offense. He said his dog could play for him and we'd score, so this struggling is kind of making him look bad and obviously pissing him off.

Wednesday we will get injury updates and he will probably tell us who is going to start then, or maybe he won't to keep UT (and us) guessing. It ain't boring and painful like it was with chump, I'll give him that.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n283087 said:
Why is he an amateur? Meyer isn't settled on a QB today either. Is he an amateur, as well?

Tough problem to have, though, picking who your starting QB will be against Western Michigan. I think it'll have him up all night if he's not swallowing Ambien like Pez anymore.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac can't afford to lose to TN, in the Swamp, one of the things he said about getting our mojo back was to dominate in the Swamp. If Grier is having a so-so game and we are down, bet the house that Treon will get in.

I'm all for getting Grier experience, but not at the expense of losing at home to a TN, If he isn't getting the job done or is hurting with mistakes, bench him and give Treon a chance. He's getting valuable experience with each game, screw that taking our lumps BS, WIN baby WIN, plus winning will help land better recruits, Have another 4-8 season and watch those coveted players go elsewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator