Florida's starting quarterback against Tennessee will be decided later in the week

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorta hoping to see Treon start just to see you Grier Fanboyz have a seizure again.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Last time we inserted a freshman as a starter (it was a true one, at that) into a hostile crowd at KY, it was . . . Chris Leak (2003) and he did pretty well. I bet Grier starts this weekend, with same plan as at KY

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n283183 said:
I'm sorta hoping to see Treon start just to see you Grier Fanboyz have a seizure again.

The butthurt would be off the charts. :lol:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Grier starts, but I think Treon gets to play if Grier starts to struggle again. I think Grier's accuracy and quick release gives us a better chance to win. The OL needs to give him some time so he can actually make some throws and not look to run every time.

I can see Grier getting pulled if he fumbles or throws a bad pick.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Doopree;n283049 said:
I'd like to see Harris get another shot. Grier has the obvious upside but his play was mediocre in a lot of both the ECU and KY games.

Why so we can't set Grier's development back even further? We know what we are going to get with Treon; why waste Grier's development time with him.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
CaribGator;n283095 said:
Mac can't afford to lose to TN, in the Swamp, one of the things he said about getting our mojo back was to dominate in the Swamp. If Grier is having a so-so game and we are down, bet the house that Treon will get in.

I'm all for getting Grier experience, but not at the expense of losing at home to a TN, If he isn't getting the job done or is hurting with mistakes, bench him and give Treon a chance. He's getting valuable experience with each game, screw that taking our lumps BS, WIN baby WIN, plus winning will help land better recruits, Have another 4-8 season and watch those coveted players go elsewhere...

I don't know about that....Tenn hasn't won **** and Bootch is still landing top 5 classes

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
TheBigClaw;n283158 said:
Treon can be a terrific QB under Mac. He's developing both. Harris is basically a freshman to since he had no development under you know who last year.

What Treon are you watching? Guy can't make reads and he has the arm of a middle school QB

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Doopree;n283049 said:
I'd like to see Harris get another shot. Grier has the obvious upside but his play was mediocre in a lot of both the ECU and KY games.

I read that Mac said, in retrospect, there were some times when he probably should have put Harris in.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n283064 said:
I don't think it's gamesmanship, think he's seriously trying to decide who to start and will use this week's practice as tiebreaker. There's no denying Grier struggled some against UK. He also fumbled and threw a Pic in the endzone. So if you're not getting the Ball security you are looking for, and not exploiting the passing advantage he has over Treon, then it's not a slam dunk. Plus Treon came in and won the game against UT last year so has that X-factor.

I do expect it to be Will, but would say it's only slightly in his favor and if Treon has a good week and Will stuggles in practice, seeing Treon start wouldn't surprise me.

And don't forget, Grier may be still injured to some degree this week.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not saying Treon sucks. I'm just saying he doesn't fit this system. In this system, he's average at best. Put him in GTech''s system and he'd be fantastic. Put him in a spread option that is up-tempo and he would thrive. Mac's system requires sitting in the pocket, making your reads, and getting the ball out on time. Treon struggles to do that due to not processing info quickly enough and even when he does his lack of velocity causes problems. Take the WR screens or quick hitches Nussie is so fond of throwing. The WR has a lot less time to make a play when Treon is throwing those passes.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n283113 said:
His lack of arm strength will always limit him in this offense. He'd be great in a spread-option system. But that isn't what Mac runs. In this system, he is just a backup QB. Remember, there were big time schools that only wanted him as a CB or slot receiver. They didn't want him at all as a QB.

While we remember that you shouldn't forget there were also big time schools that DID want him as a QB, including fsu, who we stole him from.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n283279 said:
What Treon are you watching? Guy can't make reads and he has the arm of a middle school QB

He's got a better deep ball than Grier.

GatorintheKnox

Masshole
Sep 20, 2015
I don't think Mac likes either QB but he's stuck with them. What kills me is seeing the kid from Notre Dame come in and light it up for over 200 yards but our guy can't get over 100. Hopefully by Grier getting all the first team reps he'll play a little better against UT.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
TheBigClaw;n283301 said:
He's got a better deep ball than Grier.

Now I know you're out of your mind....

Treon's deep ball consists of a fluttering duck.

We really don't know what kind of deep ball Grier has as he really hasn't taken one deep.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n283270 said:
Why so we can't set Grier's development back even further? We know what we are going to get with Treon; why waste Grier's development time with him.

What about Treon's development? Why do we know what we're getting with Treon, but not with Grier? It's not like he's a 5th year senior. In fact, Treon hasn't been on campus as long as Grier. Your argument makes ZERO sense and you are now officially in the racist category! :lol:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n283305 said:
Now I know you're out of your mind....

Treon's deep ball consists of a fluttering duck.

We really don't know what kind of deep ball Grier has as he really hasn't taken one deep.

Grier hasn't taken one deep because as Mac said he used his feet as his check down. If he can't get through his progressions, why should he be starting over Treon? I'm not in either's camp, but I find some of you simply ridiculous with you're one-sided arguments.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n283308 said:
What about Treon's development? Why do we know what we're getting with Treon, but not with Grier? It's not like he's a 5th year senior. In fact, Treon hasn't been on campus as long as Grier. Your argument makes ZERO sense and you are now officially in the racist category! :lol:

:popcorn:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I simply agree with maheo. Grier is a better fit for Mac's system. Plus skin color is a factor for me, no doubt.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That "skin color" comment I made above was a joke, by the way. Please don't call the police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator