Foley Headed To Ft. Collins - Jim McElwain to be hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n122830 said:
Miles to Michigan and Jimbo to LSU although unlikely are within the realm of possibility. But I couldn't see Ritcht going back to FSU because who would want to go back to that hell hole even if you did move to Athens.

I've lived in Athens and I can tell you for a fact Athens > Tally.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatoravatara;n122836 said:
If you dont like hearing other people's opinion, you are free to jump on another thread.

Or you could just be an adult and express your views with something other than bogus claims and "because, because, because" responses.

What possible good is going to come from being negative about a guy that many/most are raving about...before he even steps foot on campus. The WM era is over, and you and I were largely on the same page there. Who knows, we could be once again in a few years. But why poison your wine when you don't have to? If you can't enjoy the idea that we'll start Spring football without a proven loser on our sidelines, as we have the past few, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

JohnCoctostan

Oct 27, 2014
CSU finished 3-9 in each of the three years prior to McElwain. 4-8, 8-4 and 10-2 with him. I like that sort of improvement. Especially when you consider that since 2003, their only other two winning seasons were 7-6. The guy can coach.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
JohnCoctostan;n122849 said:
CSU finished 3-9 in each of the three years prior to McElwain. 4-8, 8-4 and 10-2 with him. I like that sort of improvement. Especially when you consider that since 2003, their only other two winning seasons were 7-6. The guy can coach.

You have to give the guy credit there. He went to a program with little tradition or really very little going for it and pulled it out of the ditch.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
JohnCoctostan;n122849 said:

Yep. Another point of note is that his first actual recruiting class would only have been Sophs(RsFR) this season. And they probably little or no role last year. Which means he took existing players, habitual losers, and guys that were probably subpar talent--even by CSU standards--and found ways to win games with them. That might be the most compelling angle of all, imo, because that's the type of motivation, scheming and developing that we desperately need right now.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n122851 said:
The announcment has not even been made yet. Who is raving about him? For most people it was a letdown. Somebody was raving about how many yards they put up until someone pointed out that the entire conference puts up those numbers because of lack of defense. I guess pointing out facts is negative.

What exactly is your objective here? Are you trying to get others to agree with your thought that this is a crappy hire? It's like you're personally offended that a majority of the posters here and all of the experts I've read think this a good, potentially great hire. You don't like it, we get that, say so and move on. But you're acting like a rival fan or something and being relentlessly negative about it like it's your goal in life to have Gator Nation hating a hire literally before he even steps foot in Gainesville.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n122857 said:
Yep. Another point of note is that his first actual recruiting class would only have been Sophs(RsFR) this season. And they probably little or no role last year. Which means he took existing players, habitual losers, and guys that were probably subpar talent--even by CSU standards--and found ways to win games with them. That might be the most compelling angle of all, imo, because that's the type of motivation, scheming and developing that we desperately need right now.

This is the angle that a lot of people are missing right now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I definitely had never thought of it like that

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n122853 said:
You have to give the guy credit there. He went to a program with little tradition or really very little going for it and pulled it out of the ditch.

McElwain knows what good looks like. This guy knows what goes in to being good, and not just from a coordinator standpoint, but from a head coach standpoint. I'm hoping he can meet with the current players this week, maybe stave-off some potential transfers, keep some fringe NFL guys in school another year (Bullard, Morrison), get some momentum in recruiting and get a quick plan together with regard to our 2015 O-line. May have to bring in 3 or 4 JUCO guys to sure that thing up.

tarjf

Gator Alum
Nov 8, 2014
soflagator;n122857 said:

Absolutely! I really, really like this hire...He obviously knows how to develop players which is something the previous coach lacked. I'm excited, and everybody should get on board because its gonna be a fun ride.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I'm a Gator and will support the new Gator Coach until his results tell me different. That said, Dan Hawkins went 12-1, 13-1, and 11-1 for Boise State before going to Colorado. We know how that turned out.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n122897 said:
I'm a Gator and will support the new Gator Coach until his results tell me different. That said, Dan Hawkins went 12-1, 13-1, and 11-1 for Boise State before going to Colorado. We know how that turned out.

But for every failure of a coach going to a big program like Hawkins, there's a success story like Malzahn or Meyer. Every big name coach started off somewhere small.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n122897 said:

Not the same. Hawkins didn't have nearly the experience before being the HC at Boise that JM has. Apple and oranges.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's not a sexy hire, but if he gets the job done nobody will care. I just want to see our Gators play like they want to score TDs again.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n122502 said:
As it relates to the topic of "home run hire" I would be interested to hear a logical, reasonable explanation as to why a successful NFL coach would leave a potential playoff team to coach the University of Florida. (Not saying "leave" as in Petrino-right-now leave but at the end of the NFL season).
It's not called a "pipe dream" without a good reason. Those NFL guys are not going back to college unless they have a real hankerin' for teaching or schmoozing high school prima donas. It just was not going to happen, even if Fooley had an interest in pursuing them which has not been proven. NFL coaching is a soft life comparably.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n122808 said:
Problem is after all the Muschamp failure it's hard to feel that patient. Meyer was 9-3, 5-3 in his first year.
Yet if Chimp hadn't insisted on playing Driskel we would have won at least the Mizzu game and if he hadn't insisted on Burton and Westbrook we would have won two others.

Of course, we know we'll have some offensive improvement. Even flushing Chimp and keeping the same staff would have ensured that.

What we don't know now is how much the defense will fall off without Chimp and if Big Mac can recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.