Foley's larger failure: Facilities or Butters?

Discussion in 'The Hall of Fame' started by oxrageous, Apr 25, 2018.

1. 78

78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $14,548
    Ratings:
    +20,601 / -1,117
    .[​IMG]

• BNAG8R

BNAG8R Pronouns: them, they, their

Oxbucks:
      $3,917
      Ratings:
      +6,737 / -93
      Disagree. Both of my kids were accepted, and they made a BIG deal about being legacy for my first (the second isn’t going to UF). She had good grades, good test scores, but I know kids with better that didn’t get in. I think legacy IS a factor.

• jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
      BANNED

Oxbucks:
      $344
      Ratings:
      +343 / -204
      Bottomline is it was harder to get into
      I am happy your legacy student got in. What year did they get in?

• jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
      BANNED

Oxbucks:
      $344
      Ratings:
      +343 / -204
      Now I see where you are coming from. I am glad your fiance's kids are getting in. We need more students like them. The problem is the increasing number of empty seats on the student side due to students admitted that could care less about football.

78 Dazed and Confused
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $14,548
      Ratings:
      +20,601 / -1,117
      If you're arguing that the academic standards are being pushed through the stratosphere, you'll get no argument here.

If you're arguing Dr. Fuchs has a personal agenda to reduce the number of pro-Gators enrollees, I can't buy it.

• jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
      BANNED

Oxbucks:
      $344
      Ratings:
      +343 / -204
      His agenda is to move UF to #5 on the US News public university list. To meet the USNews requirements you increase GPA/test requirements, reduce the time to graduate and increase diversity.

Since white males take longer to graduate they have been affected, especially if they are Florida residents. Many white male UF football fans that used get in UF are now going to FSU after UF rejects them.

#326 jhbyrd, May 6, 2018
      Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Blacklabgator

Blacklabgator Lurking Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,812
      Ratings:
      +4,164 / -80
      That’s not completely true

78 Dazed and Confused
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $14,548
      Ratings:
      +20,601 / -1,117
      You position the initiative as diabolical. It can only be an opinion. Unless.

• MADGator

MADGator This space intentionally left blank

Oxbucks:
      $630
      Ratings:
      +1,230 / -15
      That's fantastic and many congratulations to you and your kids!!!

Unfortunately that is absolutely not what I have seen. Three families in the area where I live, three kids with GPA's decidedly over 4.0, really good test scores and off the chart activities, all six parents are UF alum, all season ticket holders and donors, one dad is also the president of his fraternity alumni group and oversees the current group and is also in thick with UF for recruiting for his company; kids were accepted to every... single... college they applied to, except UF. Sadly I thought all three kids were worthy on their own merit, but being legacies? Automatic shoe-ins. Nope. I'm really happy that it worked out for you and yours though. Fantastic accomplishment!

• jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
        BANNED

Oxbucks:
        $344
        Ratings:
        +343 / -204
        Winner!
        78 cannot see beyond his situation. His fiance's son is already a UF fan. That is who you want.

Just because his fiance's child is a Gator fan he thinks every other non legacy student admitted will go to games like his fiance's son. The legacy kids would more likely go to games especially the white legacy males who have been pulling for UF their whole life. Of course white males are still getting in, it is just harder for them to get in than the other groups as they take longer to graduate.

#330 jhbyrd, May 6, 2018
      • jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
        BANNED

Oxbucks:
        $344
        Ratings:
        +343 / -204
        If white male legacies were not getting hit harder I would agree with you. Unfortunately they are.

78 Dazed and Confused
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $14,548
        Ratings:
        +20,601 / -1,117
        Don't flatter yourself. I'm able to look beyond my own situation. I'm not clear you are able to.

You've presented an opinion, a theory that can't be substantiated under normal circumstances.

• BNAG8R

BNAG8R Pronouns: them, they, their

Oxbucks:
          $3,917
          Ratings:
          +6,737 / -93
          Class of 2019, and Class of 2022

Edit: I should add that we are “Out of State”, and both are girls..so that certainly helps the “diversity” argument

• MissouriGator

MissouriGator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
          $815
          Ratings:
          +1,187 / -76
          The reason The Swamp has suffered in the past 8-10 years is a combination of the demands on the students and the poor quality of play on the field--I would guess about 80% being the shyt show on the field.
          A student will sacrifice study time for the experience and excitement of hanging with their friends and witnessing a great win; that time can be made up in other ways because it is worth the thrill.
          We really haven't done that since 2008.
          Put something exciting on the field, win games, and The Swamp will fill....and the top-level recruits will come. It's as simple as that.
          No need for winding conspiracies.

• jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
          BANNED

Oxbucks:
          $344
          Ratings:
          +343 / -204
          Actually the rankings do consider time to graduate and males do on average take longer to graduate. Not a theory a fact.

"Men have showed a steep decline in their on-time graduation rate, as compared to women, according to the study. From the 1945-1949 to the 1980-1984 birth cohorts, men’s on-time graduation rate declined from 66.63 percent to 60.76 percent."

"

Schools try to manipulate things to improve their ranking. Vanderbilt for example sends out letters to students inviting them to apply so they can reject them and thus improving their rejection ratio. No theory as I have seen the letter.

From US News:

Graduation and retention rates (22.5 percent): The higher the proportion of first-year students who return to campus for sophomore year and eventually graduate, the better a school is apt to be at offering the classes and services that students need to succeed.

Student selectivity (12.5 percent): A school's academic atmosphere is determined in part by students' abilities and ambitions.

This measure has three components. U.S. News factors in the admissions test scores for all enrollees who took the SAT critical reading and math portions and the composite ACT (65 percent of the selectivity score).

U.S. News also considers the proportion of enrolled first-year students at National Universities and National Liberal Arts Colleges who graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school classes or the proportion of enrolled first-year students at Regional Universities and Regional Colleges who graduated in the top quarter of their classes (25 percent).

The third component is the acceptance rate or the ratio of students admitted to applicants (10 percent).

If a school told U.S. News that it included all students with scores in its reported SAT and ACT scores, then those scores were counted fully in the rankings and were not footnoted.

If less than 75 percent of the fall 2016 entering class submitted SAT and ACT scores, their test scores were discounted by 15 percent in the ranking calculations. U.S. News also used this policy in the last two editions of the rankings.

Graduation rate performance (7.5 percent): This indicator of added value shows the effect of the college's programs and policies on the graduation rate after controlling for spending and student characteristics, such as standardized test scores, high school class standing and the proportion receiving Pell Grants. U.S. News measures the difference between a school's six-year graduation rate for the class that entered in 2010 and the rate U.S. News had predicted for the class. New this year, the proportion of science, technology, engineering and math – STEM – degrees out of the total degrees granted are included for the National Universities ranking category only.

If the school's actual graduation rate for the 2010 entering class is higher than the rate U.S. News predicted for that same class, then the college is enhancing achievement or overperforming. If a school's actual graduation rate is lower than the rate that U.S. News predicted, then it is underperforming.

#335 jhbyrd, May 6, 2018

78 Dazed and Confused
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $14,548
          Ratings:
          +20,601 / -1,117
          Blah blah blah. Our diversity ranking is nowhere near what you cited. I looked it up. We're 45 spots up the ladder from where you said, nine ahead of FSU.

Furthermore, your logic is so focused on white males it can't possibly account for all the changes noted about 20 posts ago. Females make up 54% of the student population. You think they don't go to football games, too?

Frankly, I've grown tired of this silly debate. The seats are empty not because of Dr. Fuchs' obsession with magazine rankings or how long it takes the average white male to graduate or some sort of multi-cultural shift, but because we've sucked at football too long.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Bring Back Assquash and Slev
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $55,674
            Ratings:
            +82,038 / -5,245
            He is easy to dismiss.

• jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
              BANNED

Oxbucks:
              $344
              Ratings:
              +343 / -204
              I am sure you are tired of being wrong. You probably did not know that UF recently fired admissions personnel as people were upset at how it was being handled . Blowback.

I cited our Diversity ranking? I talked about the graduation rate of males as you can see above. Sucking is also a factor but not the only one. Atleast you got that right. Fewer Gator fans being admitted is another.

#338 jhbyrd, May 6, 2018
              Last edited: May 7, 2018
            • jhbyrd

jhbyrd Banned
              BANNED

Oxbucks:
              $344
              Ratings:
              +343 / -204
              Why are you only happy when we fire coaches Donkey. Why weren't you happy when UF won two national championships in basketball?

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Bring Back Assquash and Slev
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $55,674
              Ratings:
              +82,038 / -5,245
              Im happy because the coaches we fired we shytty coaches who needed fired. Im less than happy when we replace the 21-16 coach we just fired with another 21-16 coach, then replace the second coach with a 33-39 coach.

I was happy when we won in basketball, mostly bc football was dominating. I dont give a shyt about the other sports. It is of course nice when we are winning but it doesnt offset the decade of terrible football Fooley gave us, and continues to give us.

Less than happy donkeys and other gators or gator fans is why seats at the swamp are empty and why we make 40 million or more less revenue than we should.

We arent going to get in an arms race.

Guaranteed 4 year schollies, that was our counter.

#340 Swamp Donkey, May 7, 2018
              Last edited: May 7, 2018