t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n248827 said:
The spelling is close enough.
So now you can make exceptions on thread titles?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatordiddy;n248850 said:
Is that Criser in the middle?

Yep, Arnsparger, Criser and Steinbrenner.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n248763]

And so Lon Kruger, former head coach at Kansas State, took over the program before the 1990–91 season. He went on to become the greatest coach in college history, thanks to Bill Arnsparger.[/FONT]

[/QUOTE]

:britney:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n248736 said:
Somebody had to tell the truth.
Hired Spurrier (National Champioship and perennial SEC champion) and Lon Kruger (Final Four), and made Florida into the university that always won the SEC All Sports Trophy. Hired these proven coaches away from major conference teams and didn't limit himself to looking for bargain priced coaches at directional Louisiana or WAC teams.

Could you imagine today if someone suggested we would be able to hire away a proven basketball HC from KANSAS? From KANSAS! Hell SOS and Kruger weren't even "available", yet he hired them anyway. Think of the amount of abuse that AD would take from the internet fandom who are sure we can't possibly hire away a proven program from ANY OTHER program unless its a directional school? He was also VERY guilty of getting in arms races with the other SEC schools and building a top program. He built our facilities into the best in the conference and certainly didn't settle for us being the other Vandy.

Yeah, he was turrble, just turrble.

You may have never been happier when an AD was fired but it that is just because the curent bargain-shopping, peanut salesman hasn't been fired yet.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n249062 said:
Hired Spurrier (National Champioship and perennial SEC champion) and Lon Kruger (Final Four), and made Florida into the university that always won the SEC All Sports Trophy. Hired these proven coaches away from major conference teams and didn't limit himself to looking for bargain priced coaches at directional Louisiana or WAC teams.

Could you imagine today if someone suggested we would be able to hire away a proven basketball HC from KANSAS? From KANSAS! Hell SOS and Kruger weren't even "available", yet he hired them anyway. Think of the amount of abuse that AD would take from the internet fandom who are sure we can't possibly hire away a proven program from ANY OTHER program unless its a directional school? He was also VERY guilty of getting in arms races with the other SEC schools and building a top program. He built our facilities into the best in the conference and certainly didn't settle for us being the other Vandy.

Yeah, he was turrble, just turrble.

You may have never been happier when an AD was fired but it that is just because the curent bargain-shopping, peanut salesman hasn't been fired yet.

Like I said...hiring SOS was a no brainier. He damn near ruined the hoops program with the forced resignation of Sloan and subsequent hiring of Devoe. Kinda like you harp on Foley for WM, Devoe was THAT BAD. The he hired Kruger from KANSAS STATE! (not exactly KANSAS!) :lol:. Kruger had one great Cinderella team, but other than that he was a .500 coach,,,hardly an epic hire.

Try to rewrite history all you want, though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n249070 said:
Like I said...hiring SOS was a no brainier.
One could argue that so was Meyer.

The he hired Kruger from KANSAS STATE! (not exactly KANSAS!) :lol:.
Meh, still not a directional or WAC school.

Try to rewrite history all you want, though.
Yeah, the fact is that it was Arsnparger who took us to the top of the SEC in football, basketball, and all sports. Fooley took us to the bottom.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep that was a myth about us not already being one of the top schools in the all sports stuff prior to Foley taking over.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pell's the guy who really changed things and got things going, and it began with increased support from boosters. Soon the stadium went through a number of expansions closing in both ends. The facilities in general went through an upgrade. The campus took on more of a bigtime feel. Tennis, baseball, golf, swimming, track ... they were already good and they got better. We became more national in our focus as well as the interest from outside. Arnsparger addressed crises with both the football and basketball programs and the net-net was Spurrier and Kruger, a pretty good net if you ask me.

We shouldn't take anything away from Foley, but anyone who thinks this was mainly his creation simply doesn't have a good grasp of history.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n249091 said:
One could argue that so was Meyer.

Meh, still not a directional or WAC school.

Yeah, the fact is that it was Arsnparger who took us to the top of the SEC in football, basketball, and all sports. Fooley took us to the bottom.

So, it only matters where you hire someone from...not the results they produce? :lol: Refresh my memory on where BD was hired from?
I see you conveniently ignore the Devoe fiasco. That alone tarnishes anything else he ever did at UF, IMO.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n249107 said:
I see you conveniently ignore the Devoe fiasco. That alone tarnishes anything else he ever did at UF, IMO.

Never heard of him. Is it one of those other sports that happen when the guys aren't playing football?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n249105]We shouldn't take anything away from Foley, but anyone who thinks this was mainly his creation simply doesn't have a good grasp of history.[/QUOTE]
You say that so nicely. I was thinking they are raving lunatics, but I like the way you said it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.