Franks/Trask situation all over again; AR lights up USF

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
You know when you use the forward pass, 3 things can happen and two of them are bad. 4.4 yds and cloud of dust is the way real football is meant to be played. Passing is for sissies. (Feel free to add more Knute Rockne expressions here as you see fit.)

90s must have been painful for you.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
To be fair, do we really trust these kickers?
Good coaches practice situational football in practice ....and in practice games. Going for it ALL the time on 4th down is not reality and will cost you more than half the time when the big boys come to town....how many times in the last 3 years have we watch Mullen leave points on the field and then the offense struggles for the next 2 quarters....

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Good coaches practice situational football in practice ....and in practice games. Going for it ALL the time on 4th down is not reality and will cost you more than half the time when the big boys come to town....how many times in the last 3 years have we watch Mullen leave points on the field and then the offense struggles for the next 2 quarters....

That's fair. However, I really think the 4th downs could've been converted with smart playcalling. The example given by the broadcast team of moving the pocket with Emory to give him a self RPO option would've been better than that QB Sneak.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
To be fair, do we really trust these kickers?

This guy is the best personality of anyone since Meyer. He works, but his big fault is not being able to do what needs to be done such as firing friends or personnel changes. I'd take him over Butters and Champ.
I’d prefer to have neither of the three, but if I were forced to choose, it would be Chump, if only for his crootin. Again, I prefer none of the three.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
90s must have been painful for you.
Not me. My idea of a good Gator football game is to be ahead 35 or 42 to zip midway through the 2nd quarter. Then I can enjoy the game. My dad on the other hand was a football purist and thought averaging 4.4 yds per attempt was the epitome of play calling. Except when SOS was on the sidelines. In my dad's view, SOS was the prototypical Florida coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d prefer to have neither of the three, but if I were forced to choose, it would be Chump, if only for his crootin. Again, I prefer none of the three.
it is a false choice. it's never either/or.

they are literally thousands of options.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Dorky Dan is not my cup of tea, and I imagine he’s not liked by many. However, he’s not the sniffling, lying, no work ethic, @ahole that Butters is.

Butters had no redeeming personality traits.
Butters missed his game yesterday with "appendicitis". He probably ate some of his BBQ sauce and had a belly ache.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was thinking about this. can you imagine what sperrier would have said?

yeah he can run really well can he. neither of them can throw for a lick, but that's on me not on them. I should have coached them better. I'm the one that put them out there.

Correct. It was always on him. I always mention this but the post game, on field interview after the ‘94 SECCG is a picture perfect look at great coaching. Amidst all the praise and congratulating, he immediately goes back to Eddie Lake’s INT to seal things and says, “I wish we’d coach them to just bat those down”. You also see him on the play itself telling Lake to get down as he’s running with the ball. That’s attention to detail and constantly looking to improve, from the top down even when things look like they’re near perfect.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
What in the hell are you even talking about, Old Timer?
I am very disappointed in EJ. More so because CDM ran Corral off. Corral wanted to come in even with Dan bringing in a run option offense. Corral is athletic enough to run it as well as EJ and we would have better passing, better decision making, and better leadership if he had just let Corral stay. Annoyed me at the time; really hacks me now.

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I am very disappointed in EJ. More so because CDM ran Corral off. Corral wanted to come e en with Dan bringing in a rin option offense. Corral is athletic enough to run it as well as EJ and we would have better passing, better decision making, and better leadership if he had just let Corral stay. Annoyed me at the time; really hacks me now.

Corral would have transferred out 15 seconds after the 4rth quarter ended playing Kentucky in 2019, when it was clear that Trask was the starter for two years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I am very disappointed in EJ. More so because CDM ran Corral off. Corral wanted to come e en with Dan bringing in a rin option offense. Corral is athletic enough to run it as well as EJ and we would have better passing, better decision making, and better leadership if he had just let Corral stay. Annoyed me at the time; really hacks me now.

The 4th and goal play does a lot to dispute that. Running a QB power with someone not cut out for that gives you what you saw. He’s not changing his core, old ways and anyone not named Tebow, Newton or maybe Richardson are going to struggle. Corral would’ve been ok with a Johnson like passing attack such as we saw last season. But he didn’t for. Emory did. Whether or not Corral could be competent is irrelevant. We have someone else who can run it and isn’t a pilled out embarrassment.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather have Corrall than Jones. It's seriously a no Brainer. The truth is Dan Mullen may be the qb whisperer but he's constantly whispering to the wrong qb. Let's look here. He had Russell over Dak,Franks over trask, now EJover AR. He signed jalon Jones instead of Sam Howell. He tried to recruit that bum from Jacksonville who trolled us instead of AR. I don't think picking the right qb is Mullen’s strong suit. He coaches em up but he damn sure struggles with recruiting and identifying em.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather have Corrall than Jones. It's seriously a no Brainer. The truth is Dan Mullen may be the qb whisperer but he's constantly whispering to the wrong qb. Let's look here. He had Russell over Dak,Franks over trask, now EJover AR. He signed jalon Jones instead of Sam Howell. He tried to recruit that bum from Jacksonville who trolled us instead of AR. I don't think picking the right qb is Mullen’s strong suit. He coaches em up but he damn sure struggles with recruiting and identifying em.
or maybe he doesn't at all, and that's why we usually see piss poor qb play

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The 4th and goal play does a lot to dispute that. Running a QB power with someone not cut out for that gives you what you saw. He’s not changing his core, old ways and anyone not named Tebow, Newton or maybe Richardson are going to struggle. Corral would’ve been ok with a Johnson like passing attack such as we saw last season. But he didn’t for. Emory did. Whether or not Corral could be competent is irrelevant. We have someone else who can run it and isn’t a pilled out embarrassment.
With Corral as QB we wouldn't have been fourth and goal. And if we somehow were, Corral would not have left us in that play when he saw the defensive alignment.
And to Donk's point that Corral is not a nice person -- really? We can stomach Hernandez, Cam, and various gun-toting, drug snorting, night club Playas, we just can't stand Corral? Really?
I was hoping that Donk's sudden "Road to Damascus" conversion to disapproving of people who weren't nice would be confined to politics, but I see it now extends to sports.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
With Corral as QB we wouldn't have been fourth and goal. And if we somehow were, Corral would not have left us in that play when he saw the defensive alignment.
And to Donk's point that Corral is not a nice person -- really? We can stomach Hernandez, Cam, and various gun-toting, drug snorting, night club Playas, we just can't stand Corral? Really?
I was hoping that Donk's sudden "Road to Damascus" conversion to disapproving of people who weren't nice would be confined to politics, but I see it now extends to sports.

Corral is a pill head jackass. There’s a reason he was kicked from at least one HS and no team on the west coast have him a sniff. He also instigated and led a fight in the egg bowl in 2018 that got like a dozen players suspended. We need none of that.

As for Donk and the road to Damascus, the guy hasn’t left his home in months. It’s been well documented, so that’s out. Anyway, regardless of the supernatural event, he’d still argue with them, reference the 90’s passing game and create fancy nicknames for whoever he encountered.

Bottom line, there are more kids that play QB than just Jones and Corral. Out issues have nothing to do with one missed idiot recruit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator