Free Throws

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone playing the #1 spot should have a very high FT%. They have the ball more times than not in the critical closing moments.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We should lock the players in the gym...all they are to practice is FTs and 3pters

If we tie Vandy for 7th does our (most likely) 0-2 vs UK be considered worse than vand 0-1....that would be total bull

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
LeeForThree;n186835 said:
We should lock the players in the gym...all they are to practice is FTs and 3pters

If we tie Vandy for 7th does our (most likely) 0-2 vs UK be considered worse than vand 0-1....that would be total bull

Conference does win-loss record vs # 1 team for the 2nd tie breaker, and not even winning percentage. If that's the case then probably would get hosed. If not then it goes to win/loss vs #2 team etc.

http://www.secsports.com/article/11098238/tournament-tiebreakers

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Walker should benefit the most using "Rick Barry's" underhand style. With the length of his arms the ball's release point
would be 2 feet closer to the rim, an easier trajectory to lock in on. Besides, all the joints, ligaments and muscles are
naturally "geared" for underhand, swinging motion.

I bet (since he's at 39%) it wouldn't take more than 3 days for his underhand FT % to top his current %..
If I remember right, Barry's FT% was always better than 85% and he always lead the NBA in FT%> ??

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Rick Barry shot 89.3% for his career and shot over 90% six times. And as far as I know, no one has used his shooting style since.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n186834 said:
Anyone playing the #1 spot should have a very high FT%. They have the ball more times than not in the critical closing moments.

I agree 100% The fact that both our PGs have such a bad FT% is a key reason this team is so bad. Shoot... people aren't afraid of Kasey driving the lane because he can't make the shots, so they can fould him. Just don't let him get a layup...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They're free-throws and should be shot with the more natural movements that don't have "hitches" built in them.
That is … unless a player just can't learn it, which I really doubt. If you can do it with no knee flexion, that would
allow for more unblemished motion. To some of our big guys, it might seem like they're just dropping it in.
Remember the Knick's Grier (I think) shot all his FTs as jump shots. He said that's the shot he "perfected" and took
the most of in the game, so he stayed with it at the line. He was good from the line and the perimeter.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Experience from my storied career as a pickup basketball player: It was very possible for me to get the free throw yips. When I did, I'd take a page from Greer and go to a jump shot. Since that meant that I elevated all of two inches off the ground, very few people noticed. But it did cure the yips.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Can guys take a running start, take off behind the line, and release the shot 2 feet from the rim?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n186870 said:
Can guys take a running start, take off behind the line, and release the shot 2 feet from the rim?

Nope, ball has to hit the rim before you cross the line. Chamberlain tried that and they changed the rule.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
gator1946;n186872 said:
Nope, ball has to hit the rim before you cross the line. Chamberlain tried that and they changed the rule.
Well, I'm fresh out of ideas.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The backboard is your friend. Those shooting under 60% should be told to bank/brick it off the board. It takes less skill than shooting for the rim.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n186877 said:
The backboard is your friend. Those shooting under 60% should be told to bank/brick it off the board. It takes less skill than shooting for the rim.

Now you tell me.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n186850 said:
Rick Barry shot 89.3% for his career and shot over 90% six times. And as far as I know, no one has used his shooting style since.
That's because there aren't any white people playing in the NBA.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n186754 said:
Not sure i get the strategy of taking Chiozza out on defense and putting him back in on offense with under a minute to go. I understand he is little and can't defend the best and that he is a decent ball handler...but what i understand most is that he is atrocious shooting from the foul line and is a far bigger liability shooting FT than he is defending or someone else handling the ball.

Yes and Kurtz is generally money from the FT line. Now as we all know practice is not enough, you must practice the correct form and process. I tried to find his HS stats surely he was better then. Might be a mental toughness type of issue.

With Scotty at the point we would beat some of these teams easily and many more victories might have beaten KY as well. Billy has to be very frustrated but he can't play he can only coach.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n186881 said:
That's because there aren't any white people playing in the NBA.

i

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's completely mental at this point. These guys have good form. They're not shooting it with confidence.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n186844 said:
Conference does win-loss record vs # 1 team for the 2nd tie breaker, and not even winning percentage. If that's the case then probably would get hosed. If not then it goes to win/loss vs #2 team etc.

http://www.secsports.com/article/11098238/tournament-tiebreakers

I don't see how they could consider 0-2 vs. 0-1 to be worse. We're a lock to finish either 7th or 8th in the conference, and if we're tied with Vandy and they don't hose us on the 0-2/0-1 thing, we'll have the tiebreaker over them based on our win over Arkansas.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n186900 said:
I don't see how they could consider 0-2 vs. 0-1 to be worse. We're a lock to finish either 7th or 8th in the conference, and if we're tied with Vandy and they don't hose us on the 0-2/0-1 thing, we'll have the tiebreaker over them based on our win over Arkansas.

With how lucky this team has been this year, I would not be surprised if the conference gave Vandy the tiebreaker somehow.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We definitely would have been in more games, and probably won a few more, if the FT throwing was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.