Friendly reminder- Soccer is a ladies game

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Now we have to beat Iran to move on. You know, the country that is our mortal enemy in the middle of violent protests over suffocating human rights abuses. Sure, it doesn’t have the drama of say the Wyoming Fresno state football game later today, but it might be worth tuning in, you know, unless you’re a commie.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Now we have to beat Iran to move on. You know, the country that is our mortal enemy in the middle of violent protests over suffocating human rights abuses. Sure, it doesn’t have the drama of say the Wyoming Fresno state football game later today, but it might be worth tuning in, you know, unless you’re a commie.
I'll be watching the Pokes beating Fresno St. Even with Bohl coaching, there will likely be scoring.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People here don’t appreciate Mountain West sports.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp missed his calling as a soccer
Coach . 0-0 game and the main strategy is time of possession . You know that bastard probably busted a nut at this scoreboard

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

FUCH Iran.
Regardless of how much one doesn't like soccer on here--it's a simple proposition: if the US wins, Iran is eliminated and we advance.

A loss or a tie; and Iran goes through.
Unless you hate America and are someone who openly roots against our country, there is no possible reason to root for anything other than an American victory on Tuesday.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Muschamp missed his calling as a soccer
Coach . 0-0 game and the main strategy is time of possession . You know that bastard probably busted a nut at this scoreboard

T.O.P. is one metric...but it's not determinative (same as football).

England had more possession, but the US had more chances, shots, and corners. By every metric, we were the ones who had the better game and even my British friends are sitting here and applauding the effort since, objectively, we were the better team today.

TheMarylandGator

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2022

England had more possession, but the US had more chances, shots, and corners. By every metric, we were the ones who had the better game and even my British friends are sitting here and applauding the effort since, objectively, we were the better team today.
0-0 no one had a better game :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I’ll be honest though. The arbitrary time that gets thrown back in, while in theory making sense, is so bizarre to me. It’s never questioned and if you were the team clinging to a one goal lead, you just see them take it. Way too analytical for that.

The other thing that I’ve seen in a few matches I’ve watched is this insistence on playing safe regardless of time left. I think it was the World Cup 2018 where Germany beat someone and in like the final 30 seconds the team makes a little bit of a push, but it starts to get congested and he kicks it back out to midfield. And that’s where the game ended. Like, there’s nothing to lose, but this guy’s over here not wanting to get too aggressive. Who cares if they stripped it from you? If you kick back to midfield it’s definitely over but that’s what they did. And then these guys kicked it back and forth between themselves 3-4 times and the whistle blew. I kept waiting for the equivalent of a Hail Mary and some lunatic just plowing through people to try and score but it never happened. Just sort of this, “yeah, guess it just never came together for us” expression on the losing team. And of course, all of this after the other team was told, “hey nice job, but we’ve decided you have to keep doing this for another 12:53 because we said so.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

And yet...even after our "better game" we got nothing. And if we get the tie hat trick, we go home. Stupid ****ing "sport".

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You know I’m not a soccer guy . From what I saw 5,6 and 8 were our most athletic guys . 10 hit some nice corner kicks but didn’t get any help from his teammates .I thought 8 in particular really stood out . 3 sucks nearly as bad as Myeron Jones .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You know I’m not a soccer guy . From what I saw 5,6 and 8 were our most athletic guys . 10 hit some nice corner kicks but didn’t get any help from his teammates .I thought 8 in particular really stood out . 3 sucks nearly as bad as Myeron Jones .

This reads like a post-game Bobby Bowden press conference, circa 2006.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

#10 is one of our most talented players and was the designated "star" of the team that England was maneuvering to shut down (he plays for one of the best teams in English club soccer).

But yes, #6 (Musah) and #8 (McKennie) are also two of our better players and cover tons of ground. Our gameplan vs England was to basically out-hustle them in midfield and clog up the passing lanes. We accomplished just that--and when we got turnovers in the midfield, we pushed forward with pace (and our very young team can do just that), which caused England trouble.

Zimmerman (#3) was alright--think you're being a bit harsh in comparing him to Jones: yes, there were at least 2 bad turnovers, but he also played solid defense and snuffed out multiple chances for England (the block he had in the first half was England's best chance of the game and would've been a goal had he not slid in). And fyi: he's the devout Christian conservative I mentioned earlier who's very Tebow-esque in his faith, so perhaps that's me being predisposed to liking him more; but it wasn't the defense's fault we didn't get the result here is all I'm saying.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If you know absolutely nothing about soccer, sure, that's one take.

I will acknowledge my ignorance when it comes to soccer. I’m sure there are certain nuances to the game that I do not understand. That being said if after two hours of unsuccessfully trying to kick a ball into a goal, and neither team being able to do so, can we agree that me, Maryland and Gatorbait25 could’ve probably accomplished the very same thing if given the chance?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was watching the game on FOX on DISH. It went out. I had to switch to my antenna to see it. That FOX station is still off even for the football game. I think its out of Jax. The tie with England is a win for us. Much like the choke at doke was for the nulls. But more so. Now we beat the Ayatollahs (are ass a holas) and we get to keep playing. usa USA usa

TheMarylandGator

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2022
And to clarify, I am fairly ignorant about most sports...real football included. But I know this, watching fake injuries and no score is not remotely entertaining. And now I have to yellow card myself. I just stubbed my finger typing. Injury time :30 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.