Friendly reminder- Soccer is a ladies game

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
And yet...even after our "better game" we got nothing. And if we get the tie hat trick, we go home. Stupid ****ing "sport".

Ties get you nowhere in any sport.

It takes FAR more athleticism to play soccer than many other sports (looking at you, baseball); and the whole diving thing is about equal to basketball these days (watch any NBA game, let alone international basketball & the point will be driven home).

Being completely objective, hockey requires the most balance between athleticism, endurance, and skill; and I'd say it's a toss-up between football, soccer, & rugby for the number 2 spot. For damn sure, baseball & basketball are nowhere close to the level of athleticism needed to be elite in the other 3 sports.

TheMarylandGator

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2022

It takes FAR more athleticism to play soccer than many other sports (looking at you, baseball); and the whole diving thing is about equal to basketball these days (watch any NBA game, let alone international basketball & the point will be driven home).

Being completely objective, hockey requires the most balance between athleticism, endurance, and skill; and I'd say it's a toss-up between football, soccer, & rugby for the number 2 spot. For damn sure, baseball & basketball are nowhere close to the level of athleticism needed to be elite in the other 3 sports.
Just having a little fun. For me hockey is up there and rugby is tops.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our goalie is good and did a fine job. The English goalie was always screaming at his mates and I don’t think the wanker was asking for tea and crumpets .

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I will acknowledge my ignorance when it comes to soccer. I’m sure there are certain nuances to the game that I do not understand. That being said if after two hours of unsuccessfully trying to kick a ball into a goal, and neither team being able to do so, can we agree that me, Maryland and Gatorbait25 could’ve probably accomplished the very same thing if given the chance?

No, I cannot agree to that.

Heck, I wouldn't even agreed to that if *I* was out there--and I ran track at UF and played on the club soccer team when there--and even I'm not arrogant enough to say I could be anything other than a massive liability for our team out there.

I know this is tongue-in-cheek & can laugh along with the next guy; but soccer's a lot more of a sport than many give it credit for. And yes, I played hs football too in Jacksonville for a pretty good school, so it's not just saying that because it was the sport I was good at.

This game was a good example of the strength that's needed at the upper levels: England was pulling us back and fouling a LOT on transition, with the ref letting most of it go because our guys had the strength to fight through the contact and not just dive to the ground to get a foul. The closer you get to goal, the more contact you need to play through. There's a reason most defenders are 6'3-6'5, 210~ lbs guys that can run a 4.5/4.7 40...and why most forwards are 6'1, 200 lbs with a 4.3-4.4 40...

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Just having a little fun. For me hockey is up there and rugby is tops.

Oh I know.

Most of this thread are people "taking the piss" and I can laugh along.

At the end of the day, 99.9% of us are rooting for the US to go as far as we can because nothing would be more of a troll than us crushing the dreams of the world with our B/C athletes out there.

TheMarylandGator

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2022
No, I cannot agree to that.

Heck, I wouldn't even agreed to that if *I* was out there--and I ran track at UF and played on the club soccer team when there--and even I'm not arrogant enough to say I could be anything other than a massive liability for our team out there.

I know this is tongue-in-cheek & can laugh along with the next guy; but soccer's a lot more of a sport than many give it credit for. And yes, I played hs football too in Jacksonville for a pretty good school, so it's not just saying that because it was the sport I was good at.

This game was a good example of the strength that's needed at the upper levels: England was pulling us back and fouling a LOT on transition, with the ref letting most of it go because our guys had the strength to fight through the contact and not just dive to the ground to get a foul. The closer you get to goal, the more contact you need to play through. There's a reason most defenders are 6'3-6'5, 210~ lbs guys that can run a 4.5/4.7 40...and why most forwards are 6'1, 200 lbs with a 4.3-4.4 40...
I'm just trying to imagine a rugby player taking a fake dive.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

I didn't say they aren't good athletes...I said it is a stupid ****ing sport.

Figure skaters are phenomenal athletes, and that is only slightly less stupid.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I'm just trying to imagine a rugby player taking a fake dive.

There's less of a rules advantage in rugby as the other sports though.

In football, we've all seen WRs pull up and try and get the flag on minimal contact (to say the least of punters or QBs and how they crumple to the floor when breathed on to try and get a flag). Same with soccer or basketball, when fouls lead to direct scoring chances.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm proud of my soccer ignorance. I wear it like a crown.

d-stands-for-dumb-scarred.gif

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

In football, we've all seen WRs pull up and try and get the flag on minimal contact (to say the least of punters or QBs and how they crumple to the floor when breathed on to try and get a flag). Same with soccer or basketball, when fouls lead to direct scoring chances.
I agree with Title 9 and soccer.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Dude, NOBODY flops and flails around like those nancies that play soccer. The NBA tries, but they’re rank amateurs in comparison.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This so called world’s greatest sport, 5 of the 15 games World Cup games played so far have ended 0-0, scintillating stuff right there, can’t wait to watch more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.