From the stand this past weekend...

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a very good friend that has belonged to a club at the Little Ohoopee for about 20 years. He has 50 acres off Kight Rd. Deer population is off the chain there.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
I have a very good friend that has belonged to a club at the Little Ohoopee for about 20 years. He has 50 acres off Kight Rd. Deer population is off the chain there.

My buddy’s parents have been living in Kite for about 15 yrs and hunting there since 1982. He had an opening on the lease this year so I joined. 1200 acres between 5 of us. It’s near Meeks Rd. I’m definitely hooked!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Meeks have bought up a lot more timber land there and have harvested quite a few acres lately. Next time you're in the Penny Saver, ask them about a guy named Kahuna. That's my buddy. Look in the Lounge forum, I posted a thread there called Billy the Chairmaker. Billy owns the clubhouse for the club. They had something like 7000 acres but the owner died last year and his kids sold the land to the state. The state made it a WMA.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its no7t every day a 300 winchester mag won't pass through a white tail deer. Found this in the far shoulder as I was processing my buck.
I usually hunt in heavy brush areas. My favorite place was some oaks on a hill overlooking a small cornfield and creek. For various reasons that hill funnelled between several more areas and was a deer highway between farms.

I used to hunt w a 30/30 but went to an AR mostly bc I had it and liked the idea of making libs and Fudds piss their panties.

I will admit I am extra careful w it. I stay away from the shoulder. The important stuff is farther down. I hold right about the top of the front leg. Ive had several rounds liquify the heart. They all dropped both lungs so its a quick kill, rarely more than a few steps. One went down the hill to the next ravine. None further. Even w 223, Ive never needed a followup.

I have passed up shots Im not comfortable with, ie moving. Im just not going to make one suffer. Im not starving and they arent shooting back at me.

If you are in the shoulderblade area, you can miss the lungs, even though obviously they arent running with mechanical disruption of that shoulder.

deer-anatomy.jpg

Im an unapologetic meat hunter, not a horn hunter. A tender youngish doe is fine w me.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Good job, Spearo!

I agree mostly with SD, but I like my deer to score 120 or more

120 pounds, not inches!

Processors charge by the deer.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I usually hunt in heavy brush areas. My favorite place was some oaks on a hill overlooking a small cornfield and creek. For various reasons that hill funnelled between several more areas and was a deer highway between farms.

I used to hunt w a 30/30 but went to an AR mostly bc I had it and liked the idea of making libs and Fudds piss their panties.

I will admit I am extra careful w it. I stay away from the shoulder. The important stuff is farther down. I hold right about the top of the front leg. Ive had several rounds liquify the heart. They all dropped both lungs so its a quick kill, rarely more than a few steps. One went down the hill to the next ravine. None further. Even w 223, Ive never needed a followup.

I have passed up shots Im not comfortable with, ie moving. Im just not going to make one suffer. Im not starving and they arent shooting back at me.

If you are in the shoulderblade area, you can miss the lungs, even though obviously they arent running with mechanical disruption of that shoulder.

deer-anatomy.jpg

Im an unapologetic meat hunter, not a horn hunter. A tender youngish doe is fine w me.

I, too, am a meat hunter. I shot the buck because it had more meat on it. *grin* I've tried boiling the antlers for hours...they never get tender enough to eat. I hear people going nuts about QDM and I just shrug. I'll kill whatever is in front of me if I have room in the freezer.

I agree completely with you about shot placement. When I say "shoulder" I'm not talking about the scapula up there near the spine. I'm talking about five to eight inches above the top of the leg. Maybe a few inches higher than where you mentioned you aim with your 223. There's a nerve cluster in there that drops em in their tracks. If the front leg is angled forward (the deer took a step with the near side front leg) I will tuck one right behind the shoulder. Esp with a bow or crossbow or primitive muzzle loader. (ie. not one with a breech plug).

If its a morning or early afternoon hunt and I want to get as much meat as possible, I will sometimes avoid the shoulder and shoot behind it. That saves the shoulder meat, but misses the nerve cluster and the heart. It will double lung the deer which works for me. They run. But its usually an easy blood trail with a magnum.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Nothing saves beer drinking time like a high shoulder shot, no wasted time tracking a DRT deer.

SD, there are several AR15 friendly calibers that can get you in the 100+ grain bullet weight available these days.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Nothing saves beer drinking time like a high shoulder shot, no wasted time tracking a DRT deer.

SD, there are several AR15 friendly calibers that can get you in the 100+ grain bullet weight available these days.

The only 100gr bullets for the 223 that I could find were all subsonic rounds and had some difficulty in chambering with ARs. Have you shot any of the 100gr 223s out of an AR? They seem very niche-market to me.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
The only 100gr bullets for the 223 that I could find were all subsonic rounds and had some difficulty in chambering with ARs. Have you shot any of the 100gr 223s out of an AR? They seem very niche-market to me.

Not .223, I have a 6.8 that I shoot 120 grain SST's in. Just swap uppers on your AR15 lower receiver.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
The Meeks have bought up a lot more timber land there and have harvested quite a few acres lately. Next time you're in the Penny Saver, ask them about a guy named Kahuna. That's my buddy. Look in the Lounge forum, I posted a thread there called Billy the Chairmaker. Billy owns the clubhouse for the club. They had something like 7000 acres but the owner died last year and his kids sold the land to the state. The state made it a WMA.

Will do asking about Kahuna. My buddy and his mother are good friends with owner of the Penny Saver. We cut across his land (with permission) getting to back half of our lease. I arrived today 2pm and was in the stand by 3:30. Expectations were high with the cooling afternoon but only seen a couple turkeys. Will be out there mornings and afternoons until Sun. Full moon may be a problem?? I searched for the thread you mentioned but couldn’t find (newbie).

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
I use the app Windfinder and a couple other sources when fishing. Been using it as I hunt as well. I’m not smearing myself or sprinkling artificial doe piss (as of yet).
Just the basics so far: no scent wash before, no scent detergent on clothes, careful on too much movement. Noticed this afternoon woods look “thinner” than just 2 weeks ago meaning viz was further for myself and deer.
Any common sense steps pre hunt or during appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.