From the stand this past weekend...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I use the app Windfinder and a couple other sources when fishing. Been using it as I hunt as well. I’m not smearing myself or sprinkling artificial doe piss (as of yet).
Just the basics so far: no scent wash before, no scent detergent on clothes, careful on too much movement. Noticed this afternoon woods look “thinner” than just 2 weeks ago meaning viz was further for myself and deer.
Any common sense steps pre hunt or during appreciated.
I'll take a stab at this, but first, a couple of questions:

• Do you hunt on a stand hanging from a tree, or a blind/shoot house?
    • If shoot house, are you on the ground, or elvated?
  • Do you put cameras out at all, and:
    • Do you have the date/time set correctly?
    • If so, do you track at all what daylight times antlered deer/does worth taking are there?
That should be enough info for me to type something up.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I use the app Windfinder and a couple other sources when fishing. Been using it as I hunt as well. I’m not smearing myself or sprinkling artificial doe piss (as of yet).
Just the basics so far: no scent wash before, no scent detergent on clothes, careful on too much movement. Noticed this afternoon woods look “thinner” than just 2 weeks ago meaning viz was further for myself and deer.
Any common sense steps pre hunt or during appreciated.

First consideration is wind, try to stay down wind of deer.
Second is cover or elevation:
ground blind, a downed tree, sit with back against tree wider than your shoulders, and sit still. I prefer ground blinds so I can move a bit, read a book, etc.

Elevation, ladder stands, climber, etc. get as high as you are comfortable with.

I am an old fat guy, so I stay as close the ground as possible using pop up blinds or just sitting in a chair in brush. But I will sit in sturdy ladders and tripods.

A climber built for my size, 3X fat bastard, is too heavy to tote around.

I use Tink's 69 as an attractant / distraction.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Tenderloin and a bit of back strap for breakfast...

Doesn't get any better than that!!!!! How do you prep/cook it?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
ground blind, a downed tree, sit with back against tree wider than your shoulders, and sit still. I prefer ground blinds so I can move a bit, read a book, etc.

Elevation, ladder stands, climber, etc. get as high as you are comfortable with.

I am an old fat guy, so I stay as close the ground as possible using pop up blinds or just sitting in a chair in brush. But I will sit in sturdy ladders and tripods.

This sums up my hunting style a well. The only thing I would suggest is, if possible, have a discreet way in and out of your blind/stand. One clear of briars and brambles and noise makers. Being able to quickly and quietly slip in and out of a hunting area is important.

There's one place I hunt that I have been very negligent in clearing a path to/from. Everything in the woods knows when I leave that place in the dark. Not the best.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Doesn't get any better than that!!!!! How do you prep/cook it?
This may sound lame, but here’s what I do with this: throw it in the zip lock bag, pour in a bunch of Worcestershire sauce, some soy sauce, and garlic salt. Keep flipping the bag for 24 hours, then usually grill on each side for 4-5 minutes. Once in awhile I’ll dredge in flour and fry in iron skillet.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Once in awhile I’ll dredge in flour and fry in iron skillet.

This is the only way I eat non ground venison.

I will make chili, spaghetti, tacos, etc. with ground venison. I do not have fat added, just pure deer meat.

I will also buy a pound of ground chuck and mix it with ground venison to make a meat loaf.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
This may sound lame, but here’s what I do with this: throw it in the zip lock bag, pour in a bunch of Worcestershire sauce, some soy sauce, and garlic salt. Keep flipping the bag for 24 hours, then usually grill on each side for 4-5 minutes. Once in awhile I’ll dredge in flour and fry in iron skillet.

Not lame at all. I used to marinade them in italian dressing and grill wrapped in bacon. Now, I will usually cut the meat thin and give it a couple of whacks with a meat mallet so it will hold onto the milk. Then I will coat the slices in milk and dredge in flour+lemon pepper seasoning and fry. The kids call them 'deer nuggets' even though they aren't even close to being nugget shaped.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
I'll take a stab at this, but first, a couple of questions:

• Do you hunt on a stand hanging from a tree, or a blind/shoot house?
    • If shoot house, are you on the ground, or elvated?
  • Do you put cameras out at all, and:
    • Do you have the date/time set correctly?
    • If so, do you track at all what daylight times antlered deer/does worth taking are there?
That should be enough info for me to type something up.

We have a number of stands (leaners) in different areas and usually choose which one to hunt according to wind. 4 box blinds (shoot house) on the ground and 1 pop up tent. All spots have feeders.
We didn’t put out any cameras which was a mistake because we haven’t seen as many deer, bucks especially, as my buddy typically sees.
This past weekend was especially tough, thinking the full moon Fri had something to do with it. Didn’t see a shooter buck and missed the 1 doe I shot at. Had a nice doe 60 yrds straight in front of me yesterday at daybreak then 30 sec later 2 more to my right. We seen flashes of a big buck in that area 2 weeks ago so I let them walk hoping to get him. Didn’t see another deer. Regret not taking what the woods were giving after a tough 4 days.
Thanks DG.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We have a number of stands (leaners) in different areas and usually choose which one to hunt according to wind. 4 box blinds (shoot house) on the ground and 1 pop up tent. All spots have feeders.
We didn’t put out any cameras which was a mistake because we haven’t seen as many deer, bucks especially, as my buddy typically sees.
This past weekend was especially tough, thinking the full moon Fri had something to do with it. Didn’t see a shooter buck and missed the 1 doe I shot at. Had a nice doe 60 yrds straight in front of me yesterday at daybreak then 30 sec later 2 more to my right. We seen flashes of a big buck in that area 2 weeks ago so I let them walk hoping to get him. Didn’t see another deer. Regret not taking what the woods were giving after a tough 4 days.
Thanks DG.
I’ll answer in a bit, headed out to hunt now

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018

Thanks. I’ll check out Tinks. Been using some spray I got at Walmart in Douglas, GA. Doe down wind I think it’s called. Probably crap...

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
The Meeks have bought up a lot more timber land there and have harvested quite a few acres lately. Next time you're in the Penny Saver, ask them about a guy named Kahuna. That's my buddy. Look in the Lounge forum, I posted a thread there called Billy the Chairmaker. Billy owns the clubhouse for the club. They had something like 7000 acres but the owner died last year and his kids sold the land to the state. The state made it a WMA.

Didn’t make it to the Penny Saver this trip. Buddies mom kept us well fed. We usually see the man that owns it but didn’t this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.