FSU considering adding Deion Sanders to coaching staff

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Kids barely know who Michael Jordan is these days. They definitely won’t know who Deion Sanders is. And I highly doubt he’ll leave a cushy job as an analyst to coach under a guy that is unproven like Taggart. Too risky.

Coaching on the college level, particularly as an assistant, is a GRIND. I can't see Dion putting in 60--70 hours weeks, breaking down film, pounding the recruiting trail, etc. In other words, working hard....which is not something he was ever noted for. He probably would bring some buzz to the job just because he is a big personality. The fact that they are talking about this makes me think Taggert is leaning toward style over substance in that I've never heard anyone talk about Dion being an X & O's expert. As others mentioned he excelled on raw talent.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Coaching on the college level, particularly as an assistant, is a GRIND. I can't see Dion putting in 60--70 hours weeks, breaking down film, pounding the recruiting trail, etc. In other words, working hard....which is not something he was ever noted for. He probably would bring some buzz to the job just because he is a big personality. The fact that they are talking about this makes me think Taggert is leaning toward style over substance in that I've never heard anyone talk about Dion being an X & O's expert. As others mentioned he excelled on raw talent.
My thoughts exactly. Put him on the staff! Please! It will only hurt them in the long run.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He could teach a class about how to not go to class and still be eligible to play.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I think it's an excellent move particularly if that's their alternative to hiring a DB coach instead. The first thing all the DB's will have to be ready to do is always have a mouthpiece in. Otherwise those gold chains have been known to fly up and knock out teeth.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
giphy.gif

Red D

Nov 4, 2017
No way he coaches. He has zero experience. My question is why the put-on? Is this the only way they can break into the college football news cycle right now? A publicity stunt?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, being a pastor they want him just to lead the pregame prayer. I hope they'll all take a knee.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Primetime is a 15 watt bulb in an LED world. He played in a time where officials allowed DBs to nearly assault WRs. Definitely not relevant today. Plus, the man expects to show up 51% of the time for a full time check.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I just can't see him leaving the spotlight. He's called "primetime" for a reason; he likes being in the spotlight. He won't get that as a position coach.... Or he steps on the HC's toes trying to be in charge.

He was a hell of a player, he just doesn't seem like the type to be a position coach.

Isn't his son in college somewhere right now?

I believe his son was just offered a scholly by FSU. If memory serves me correctly, the kid plays QB and is in the 2021 signing class.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Isn't his crackhead buddy Michael Irvin a pastor?

Probably, but that’s a whole other scam. A lot of these guys become “pastors” and set up non-profit organizations. Their non-profit organization then gets donations from favored boosters, and sometimes their alma mater, get government grants, etc. and use the cash to fund their lifestyles, without doing much of God’s work. A buddy of mine that played at Bama for Bear Bryant told me a lot of former Bama players from his generation became “pastors” and he openly admitted to me it was a big hustle. Shocking, I know, that ex-Bamners would do that.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Probably, but that’s a whole other scam. A lot of these guys become “pastors” and set up non-profit organizations. Their non-profit organization then gets donations from favored boosters, and sometimes their alma mater, get government grants, etc. and use the cash to fund their lifestyles, without doing much of God’s work. A buddy of mine that played at Bama for Bear Bryant told me a lot of former Bama players from his generation became “pastors” and he openly admitted to me it was a big hustle. Shocking, I know, that ex-Bamners would do that.
If this were the political forum, I would ask where the ideas to set up a foundation to sustain a lifestyle came from.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Please let this be true. Make him the Assistant HC in charge of tackling.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I kinda brought this "preacher-thing" up as subtly mockworthy; but in fairness, my life has interracted with many more "lay" pastors, all black (except their soles)= joke-joke, please. They were studious over the Bible and serious in their convictions. Many held decent rough-labor jobs, while enrolled in seminary school working to become a worthy ordained minister.

One day, a dental patient entered the treatment room carrying his Bible. He was burly; played the line in HSFB years ago. In my chair, Bible in lap, I asked him. He explained that at work among other rough compatriots or at the lunch-counter, someone or two would ask. That allowed him to launch his unsin-ister plan to put an uplifting message into their "lives". "Judge knot"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator