FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen’s done a solid job since landing here, but if it were to be done all over, I’d still take Norvell. He’s a brilliant offensive mind and a terrific recruiter. I don’t want to see him on the other sideline after Thanksgiving each year.

I know zero about recruiting, but this is really the only tidbit I can find on his recruiting (from a noles 247 article pumping him up)

Recruiting Acumen

Norvell does have experience as a recruiting coordinator from his time at Tulsa and Pittsburgh.

The Tigers, under Norvell, have typically been one of the higher-ranked teams in recruiting rankings within the AAC. Norvell’s recruiting footprint has been regional, with an emphasis on Tennessee (obviously), Mississippi, Alabama and other states in the Southeast. He’s also been active in going after JUCO players.

His top-ranked class at Memphis is 56th (2017)

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like Norvell at Arky. Not that I expect him to go there, but I think it would be a good move.

1) he’s familiar with the recruiting area and Arkansas as a whole

2) they can afford to pay him

3) if he looks at it as a short term gig, he can show a quick turnaround and take a bigger gig.

4) Saban’s years are numbered and so are Brady’s at LSU. Three years from now, he may have a shot at divisional titles like Nutt did.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@TJ_Pittinger: lolololol.

That tells you a little something about how the dominoes began falling when Ole Miss went coach hunting yesterday. When teams start scrambling for the same people, the leverage shifts dramatically.

If FSU felt the ball was in its court, it feels a lot less that way today.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That tells you a little something about how the dominoes began falling when Ole Miss went coach hunting yesterday. When teams start scrambling for the same people, the leverage shifts dramatically.

If FSU felt the ball was in its court, it feels a lot less that way today.

The Ole Miss AD apparently told Plumblee that their new coach would be in place in less than a week and a half. That also appears to coincide with the Memphis game. I think FSU thought too highly of themselves and kept going after big names that they had no chance with. All that did was waste time getting ahead of these other programs at hiring the better middle tier coaches, who they should have started with. FSU's hollow pride is going to backfire and it's going to be glorious!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That all but confirms it’s Norvell.

It all but confirms he’ll be their target. Really nothing more. They may, in fact, land him. But it’s not as if they did this on purpose. In the world we live in today, things simply can't be kept secret. No different than our flight to NH or talks with Frost. They let it leak--purposely or not--that there was going to be something big today. Now, it's not expected until after the weekend. They, nor Norvell, didn't suddenly realize that Memphis had a game Saturday. And if those flight reports are accurate, if anything, they're going back to early targets for another swing. As I said, no idea if he's the guy or not. But any insinuation that there's a deal in place or even close, but just can't be announced until next week, with NSD looming, is nonsense.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'd hire Tom Allen before signing Norvell. Allen went 8-4 in the big 10 and Indiana is going to be decent next year.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'd hire Tom Allen before signing Norvell. Allen went 8-4 in the big 10 and Indiana is going to be decent next year.
After looking into Allen a bit, he would actually make me pretty nervous. Seems like he really turned things around at Indiana. His defenses are dynamite and he actually turned their recruiting around pretty solidly for a place that is tough to recruit. He even has some ties to Florida (coached at Temple Heights and Armwood, albeit forever ago, and also was DC at USF for a year in 2015).

I would imagine he would be a relatively inexpensive hire as well.

He wouldn't be a splashy hire, but I could see him actually succeeding. I'd be a bit nervous with him there.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
On the one hand, Allen would be a good choice: successful season in a P-5 conference at a lesser school, and was at USF for a year and coached HS ball in Florida so he's not unfamiliar with the recruiting territory. On the other hand, he did coach under Taggart, so he may still have some of that stank on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator