FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Any chance we can land Odell in an assistant role? I understand he a great recruiter.
I'd bet he retires. Theres some rumors he was supposed to be named HC and that's why they set up the stuff early last week. A big booster...we'll say complained, and now theres Norvell.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd bet he retires. Theres some rumors he was supposed to be named HC and that's why they set up the stuff early last week. A big booster...we'll say complained, and now theres Norvell.
Yeah, I read that here as well. Just think we could use his recruiting and coaching the DL.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Realistically, this was the best hire they could've gotten considering their current situation. Norvell has a lot of upside (great offensive scheme and playcaller and can coach up players), but the lack of experience recruiting Florida and the fact that he's never built a program from the ground up, make him a high risk, high reward hire. Who he brings on as assistants will determine how well he can do there. Fsu is such a dumpster fire right now that he very well could be in over his head. He likely doesn't realize the challenges he's going to have to deal with now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a Newberg article on their site titled "10 Memphis Prospects that FSU Should Recruit" - talk about dumpster diving!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If one is to believe what Goon has said here, that scenario about a booster doesn't add up.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Question remains, how much money do they have to spend on assistants?

Spanx girl gave them $20 million....saved their dumb asses. Got to give Thrasher credit for firing Wilcox and Taggart before it was too late, too.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Realistically, this was the best hire they could've gotten considering their current situation. Norvell has a lot of upside (great offensive scheme and playcaller and can coach up players), but the lack of experience recruiting Florida and the fact that he's never built a program from the ground up, make him a high risk, high reward hire. Who he brings on as assistants will determine how well he can do there. Fsu is such a dumpster fire right now that he very well could be in over his head. He likely doesn't realize the challenges he's going to have to deal with now.

That's my assessment as well. He didn't build Memphis, he inherited Fuente's already rolling program. He has limited P5 experience, his only stops being PItt and ASU. He's never worked for an elite recruiter HC, or at a school that recruits elite talent. His wins at Memphis are mostly from beating up garbage teams. There's no evidence that he sucks, but there's also no evidence that he can be or should be great, nor does he have any experience doing what he will be asked to do at FSU. He is a high risk hire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator