FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was little early with this a few days ago but it is now Thursday so I will let the honorable Judge Smails speak for me:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@BruceFeldmanCFB: It’s STILL VERY EARLY in the #FSU coaching search process but one name I’m hearing that is getting some traction there is #Memphis HC Mike Norvell who is 34-15 e/ the Tigers and his buyout is only about $500K: Feldman: Identifying candidates to be the next Florida State...

No good. I’m not convinced he doesn’t just ignore defense because the entire G5 does as well. With a solid DC and some modest changes in philosophy, he could’ve been great here, imo. In the ACC, he’ll kill it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No good. I’m not convinced he doesn’t just ignore defense because the entire G5 does as well. With a solid DC and some modest changes in philosophy, he could’ve been great here, imo. In the ACC, he’ll kill it.

I wondered why Norvell never got a bigger job before and the answer has always been that he has lots of baggage. I'm not sure what this baggage is, but it's been enough to scare off several other suitors. Of course, this is the FSU team that brought in Kendal Briles and Jim Leavitt.

I haven't heard it anywhere but I think the hottest name among assistant coaches LSU's Joe Brady, their passing game coordinator who was an assistant with the Saints. Very little experience, but it would make a splash I think.

Alex.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Mark Stoops is about the best they could do, but i doubt the vocal wing of the fan base would stand for it. Those idiots are so delusional they actually believe they are getting a meyer, a stoops, or a dabo type coach and really believe they deserve them. It'd be a meltdown Tennessee like repeat when/if the school announces stoops and then the fans find out its Mark :lol:

While I agree, I think he’d be a decent hire. He certainly did better than I expected at a basketball school and his ceiling will be higher at the university of win-at-all-costs.

Not predicting championships, but he’ll recruit well enough to irritate us and coach better than willie.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Makes you wonder what he’s got in his past that scares so many teams away. Could be a great football hire that backfires due whatever issue has kept him away from a big time job in the past.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I wondered why Norvell never got a bigger job before and the answer has always been that he has lots of baggage. I'm not sure what this baggage is, but it's been enough to scare off several other suitors. Of course, this is the FSU team that brought in Kendal Briles and Jim Leavitt.

I haven't heard it anywhere but I think the hottest name among assistant coaches LSU's Joe Brady, their passing game coordinator who was an assistant with the Saints. Very little experience, but it would make a splash I think.

Alex.
He likes a moderate amount of beer, titties, and gambling. Who doesn’t? But programs are cautious about possible future ramifications. That’s about it honestly

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This was on Gameday last week, Norvell was doing some kind of mentor program when he was in college (at Central Arkansas where he was a very good WR), he told the kids if they won they could braid his hair. He said, "My biggest mistake was taking our team pictures with the braids...":

upload_2019-11-7_10-45-2.png

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
FSU athletic director David Coburn says his main object in hiring a new coach is to hire somebody who will win a national championship. I say good luck with that Dave.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He likes a moderate amount of beer, titties, and gambling. Who doesn’t? But programs are cautious about possible future ramifications. That’s about it honestly
shoot, if this is a disqualifier what does that say about most coaches? Not sure I want a coach that doesnt like beer, tits, and winning $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.