FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
WTF do you need a search firm for? AD's used to get off their fat asses and work the phones themselves. They don't do their jobs anymore?

I always wondered why AD's and other Univ. officials use a search firm when hiring a coach for your most prominent sport? Aren't you supposed to be aware of what the hell is going on in your area of expertise? Isn't that why you have a staff in house?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I always wondered why AD's and other Univ. officials use a search firm when hiring a coach for your most prominent sport? Aren't you supposed to be aware of what the hell is going on in your area of expertise? Isn't that why you have a staff in house?
With the salaries the way they are now, I can see getting professional input. Then again, you’d have to hire the right firm.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well they didn't use a search firm last time, and took some criticism for it after the fact. So that's why they're outsourcing the process this time. From ESPN:

[FSU Athletic Director David] Coburn said the university would hire a search firm to help find a new coach, and the Florida State boosters would also play a role in the decision. Former Florida State athletic director Stan Wilcox did not use a firm when he hired Taggart in December 2017. Wilcox stepped down from his job to join the NCAA eight months after he hired Taggart, and after a lengthy athletic director search, Florida State opted to go with Coburn, who came over from university administration.

Besides financial considerations and the notion that any new coach coming in won't be given enough time to rebuild, what could complicate the coaching search is long-term stability at the top. Both Coburn and Florida State president John Thrasher are not expected to still be in their positions in the next two to three years. The newly created Florida State University Athletics Association, which now includes both the athletic department and Seminole Boosters, adds a wrinkle that hasn't been a part of any previous coaching search. Coburn said the new FSUAA wouldn't have a huge impact on the way the search is conducted, though he did say the Boosters would be involved.

Ideally you'd like your Athletic Director to be someone with lots of NCAA connections and the ability to conduct their own coaching search. But Coburn "came over from university administration," so probably doesn't have those resources.

Then there's the fact that, "Coburn and Florida State president John Thrasher are not expected to still be in their positions in the next two to three years." That being the case, might as well let candidates deal with third-party interviewers. If Coburn and Thrasher are leaving then the candidates are going to take any long-term assurances from them (about facilities, job security, future support for the program, etc.) with a grain of salt anyway.
If your AD isn't qualified to hire a coach himself, then get a new AD. It is totally absurd to spend a ton of money on a firm to do the job of your AD. He must be loving it, though. If/when they bomb another hire, he can point a finger at the search firm instead of himself. Puke.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I thought about that too, that if things go south with the new hire they can absolve themselves of responsibility and blame the search firm. But ultimately the search firm does not make the final decision, obviously. They just present the administration with a group of pre-screened candidates from which to choose.
I think the university should simply let the AD know that during the time the search firm is getting candidates, he isn't getting a paycheck. Seems fair to me. If he doesn't like it, he can GTFO.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Stoops has told at least two people now directly that he's not a candidate. Hard to believe he would do that if he was.

Just a thought based on semantics: He is not a "candidate" if he has already accepted the job.
Not arguing for this interpretation, only a comment.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Oxs point, about not getting blamed, is partially correct. The other part is being a state university the use of a firm ensures a fair playing field and no bias was used in the process thus ensuring no legitimate chance of a successful lawsuit.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
WTF do you need a search firm for? AD's used to get off their fat asses and work the phones themselves. They don't do their jobs anymore?

“Interesting work, guys. Thanks for the list. Let’s see...ummm...wow, candidate ‘1’ looks appealing. What is it, is it pronounced ‘Say-ban’? Am I saying that correctly? Yes? Ok, so what exactly do we know about this guy?”

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Your original post on Stoops was perfectly played. Well done.

But Tombstone has no business even being in the same sentence or thought as The Godfather. That was my whole point the other day. It’s persistently overrated.
You're on the verge of me taking back 30 to 40 of my likes ,Sofia.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Well, it could save you from getting caught trying to sneak back into town with the president after getting turned down.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Reminds me of this guy who was the live-in manager of a beautiful beachfront condo with about 30 units. The guy got a free condo to live in, $70,000+ salary, free health ins., cell & car allowance and 6 weeks paid vacay. He started hiring out most of the required tasks (i.e.-pool cleaning, lawn service, minor repairs, etc.) to outside companies. I was like “WTF, the old manager did all this stuff for the same or less money. What are you doing to earn your $100;000+ per year comp package?” Pathetic...but nice work, I guess, if you can get it.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Initially I thought this seems like our Chip Kelly fiasco in 2017, but now that B Stoops says he is not even contacted or a candidate, it seems more like the UT Gruden fiasco.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Today is the day fellas

The day Bob Stoops does NOT get hired by FSU :heehee:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bianchi on the radio was talking about how well connected Herbstreit is. He said Herbstreit has stated Bob ain’t interested. He also was quoting him pimping Mark Stoops for the job. They polled Nulls and 59% said they’d be excited about the hire. :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bianchi on the radio was talking about how well connected Herbstreit is. He said Herbstreit has stated Bob ain’t interested. He also was quoting him pimping Mark Stoops for the job. They polled Nulls and 59% said they’d be excited about the hire. :lol:
Mark Stoops is about the best they could do, but i doubt the vocal wing of the fan base would stand for it. Those idiots are so delusional they actually believe they are getting a meyer, a stoops, or a dabo type coach and really believe they deserve them. It'd be a meltdown Tennessee like repeat when/if the school announces stoops and then the fans find out its Mark :lol:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Mark Stoops is about the best they could do, but i doubt the vocal wing of the fan base would stand for it. Those idiots are so delusional they actually believe they are getting a meyer, a stoops, or a dabo type coach and really believe they deserve them. It'd be a meltdown Tennessee like repeat when/if the school announces stoops and then the fans find out its Mark :lol:

I think it’d be hilarious is Stoops turned them down to stay at Kentucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator