Game Over: NCAA allows athletes to profit from name

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Message boards are considered relaxed conversations therefore proper grammatical rules do not apply. My apologies for offending you.
Clearly I dont follow grammar rules.... but wall of words, dude. Way too much work to read.

On a phone, that is like three screens of text. Impossible to read.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If I understand you correctly, you have a two part argument against this. The second part that you present (moral grounds is what I will call it) is not relevant to this topic. I think everyone will agree that benefits and compensation afforded to athletes, coaches and Kardashians are way out of line with their tangible merit to society. But it is not illegal and unfortunately we are all to blame in our willingness to consume and pay top $ for the product they produce thereby creating the environment of said benefits and compensation. I think its rather silly to say the college athletes shouldnt be paid because gosh darn it we already put athletes on a pedestal. Perhaps in a simpler time when the levels of $ were not in play this argument is more relevant.

The first part of your argument is relevant. My counter is that the money being generated in college football now is on par with any of the professional sports. On professional teams even the 3rd string backup is well compensated because they contribute to the overall product that is put on the field. I do think it would be incredibly difficult to pay the individual college athletes based upon their individual market value so I would prefer to see some solution that shares equally across all athletes on the team. Yes, they do get the scholarships and other perks but even being generous the scholarships and perks are worth $100,000 per year? So $100,000/41,000,000 = 0.2% of the cut! Even the athlete that never plays and is on the practice squad contributed to the product on the field. Yes, some do get injured and never contribute, but that is more the exception than the rule. I still dont understand how you cannot agree that the college game is way different than it was 10-20 years ago.

I'm not sure what you read into my argument, but no, there's not a moral element at all. Or at least I didn't mean to imply that. The simple response is that these player are largely being given major opportunities to get something based on their athletic ability that they wouldn't have otherwise. As Seabee said, your math isn't even scratching the surface of accuracy. The value of a 4-5 year stay at UF, plus meals, clothing and other benefits is easily 250k(I've seen a quote of 300 in an article). So for every 10 Wells/Linton type players, we've essentially wasted 2.5-3 million. Even in some of our best classes like ‘06 there were 10 or so players that were dead weight and never amounted to anything. Over a four class period, what percentage of our roster is practically a bunch of unknowns who still get all the same benefits.

To me this is a classic case of trying to make things more fair, and it simply won’t. To be clear, if this was in place in 2006-2009, there wouldn’t be a commercial in Gville that didn’t feature Tebow in some fashion. If it were Knoxville in the mid-90s, it would be Manning. So the kids who come from money and grew up in a great community are making money even in college, while the other 85% of the roster who have twitter handles like retiremoms are getting very little. Yeah, I don’t see any issues there. When Gatorland says they want Trask not Toney, which is their right, I’m sure those in favor of this rule will just quietly sit by and accept it because now it’s “fair”.

As I’ve said, I get that players are important and if you want to formulate a way to compensate all of them from the sale of Tebow’s jersey, so be it. But it should be fair in the way it’s paid out. And there’s no denying that a gigantic can of worms has been opened. Those ignoring that are ignoring reality.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Page 1, Fishon.

I agree that it shouldn't be a race issue. But everywhere I look, it seems like it's headed that way. Of course that doesn't mean every single person in favor or against is taking their position as a result. I'm sure you fit that category. But unfortunately, the whole debate will be stained with that perception. As I said, we didn't even make it a page before anyone against it was deemed an "old white", which, by my standards is the epitome of prejudice and using race as a reason.

Btw, my mom's Sicilian which means I'm likely up to 8% Arab. And I'm only 39. Not sure how to feel anymore.
Do we need Dennis Hopper to explain to you what happened to Sicilian women back in the day?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Do we need Dennis Hopper to explain to you what happened to Sicilian women back in the day?

I’m sure it would be productive but my afternoon is pretty packed. And since I don’t know exactly what you’re talking about, I’m gonna err on the side of caution and just say no thanks.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That came out when I was 13 so my parents weren’t letting me see it. I’m not a movie guy really so there are a ton of classics that I know by name but have never seen. I refuse to click on it now out of sheer principle.
So be it. It's only one of the absolute best scenes in movie history from both a writing and acting standpoint.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'm not sure what you read into my argument, but no, there's not a moral element at all. Or at least I didn't mean to imply that. The simple response is that these player are largely being given major opportunities to get something based on their athletic ability that they wouldn't have otherwise. As Seabee said, your math isn't even scratching the surface of accuracy. The value of a 4-5 year stay at UF, plus meals, clothing and other benefits is easily 250k(I've seen a quote of 300 in an article). So for every 10 Wells/Linton type players, we've essentially wasted 2.5-3 million. Even in some of our best classes like ‘06 there were 10 or so players that were dead weight and never amounted to anything. Over a four class period, what percentage of our roster is practically a bunch of unknowns who still get all the same benefits.

I was alluding to your comment of how athletes are given more latitude than the average joe as far as transgressions and therefore "get enough already".

That math is exactly right, the value of 4-5 stay is $250 - 300K heck make it $400k, and over that 4 year period their participation in the program yielded close to $200 million in TV dollars, that still means that the athlete is getting only a fraction. Meanwhile the coach alone has received close or more than $40 mill in that time period. Part of my argument is that even if the 5 star turns out to be a bust on the field, if they participated with the team, went through the practices, etc. They still contributed to producing a product on gameday, even if their in game contribution is minimal.

IAs I’ve said, I get that players are important and if you want to formulate a way to compensate all of them from the sale of Tebow’s jersey, so be it. But it should be fair in the way it’s paid out. And there’s no denying that a gigantic can of worms has been opened. Those ignoring that are ignoring reality.

I think we both can agree that the devil is definitely in the details. I guess perhaps my argument is more that the can of worms has already been opened with previous actions and this is just a natural progression of things. Coaches salaries continue to rise, TV contracts continue to rise, palaces continue to be built, but we are still saying "you have a scholarship and that is enough" when a significant reason why the money is flowing is because of their participation in the sport.

I do agree, a final solution is going to be challenging and unsure how effective, but I would rather see NCAA and colleges get ahead of this before the decision is made for them ala, Cali and Florida, etc.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That math is exactly right, the value of 4-5 stay is $250 - 300K heck make it $400k, and over that 4 year period their participation in the program yielded close to $200 million in TV dollars
200 million is pretty high. I think our cut of the revenue from espn is like 20 million. Im sure CBS is far less.

You realize there isn't just one athlete on the team, right?

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
I dont really care about race and dont think its relevant here. But in my opinion the athletes are being exploited (to be clear, I am only talking P5 programs). The AD's and presidents long ago left behind the ol' college game that so many folks seem to think we are still playing. Its about TV contracts, marketing dollars and national exposure. I am unsure how folks can look at decisions made by the NCAA and conferences over the last 10 years and deny that decisions regarding how college football is played show little concern of the "student-athlete". Decisions such as increasing the number of games, playing games at all different hours, playing games at different days of the week, travelling to all different locations, expanding conferences outside of geographical footprint. All this is done so that the TV contracts are satisfied and more lucrative. I stated this before, last year in TV $ alone every SEC school received $41 million. Now we have seen coaches salaries rise, athletic departments continue to build bigger and more elaborate palaces, yet the athletes in $ terms receive a fraction of a %. How can you say that is not exploitation? Many of you will point to this as the reason that college football is changing/dying/whatever, but that trajectory was set a long time ago. So the question is do you continue to deny this change and pretend nothing has changed in the management of the game from 20 years ago or try and be proactive and get ahead of the change to mitigate the impact. I do think we have to find some ground that recognized the contribution that the athletes make to sport. At least this hopefully starts an earnest discussion.
You should meet 78, he's the master of the hard return.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
200 million is pretty high. I think our cut of the revenue from espn is like 20 million. Im sure CBS is far less.

You realize there isn't just one athlete on the team, right?

SEC schools receive $43 Mill in revenue sharing

And yes I do, so collectively the athletes receive about the same percentage as the head coach, approx $8.5 mill or 20%. As GBM pointed out to me in the NFL the player cut is closer to 48%.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
how did i know a thread were cuuf shows up would involve whining about some faux injustice.... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.