Game Over: NCAA allows athletes to profit from name

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The other fallout is this: As a booster I don't have control how my money is spent. I could give $1000 and it go to women's softball. So istea og giving that money to the booster organization I'll give it to the "Friends of Gator Athletics" where I know my money is going directly to pay a football recruit.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I, for one, welcome the litany of GCMB posts that will follow recruiting like free agency. All the deals, all the rumors. This is a boon for my good friend, Oxrageous, and his glorious Gator message board.
I doubt it. It's more likely to lead to the demise of this website along with the whole sport.

Jason and I used to follow the NBA religiously as roommates 20+ years ago. We'd go pick up a burger at Wendy's with a copy of the USA Today sports section and study the box scores. Now I've never heard of half the smelly European (or even American) tards dribbling basketballs in that garbage league. It's a crap product and I hope it goes under, and those responsible executed. Start with David Stern and work your way up to LeBron James, a "transitional" player that is responsible for more harm to the league that can even be measured. When Michael Jordan retired, the NBA was done.

I've found myself caring a little less about the NFL as the years go on. I hardly even watch the games anymore. Ten years from now, I can only guess that I won't know who most of the players are in that doomed league, either.

This is the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it. Honestly, you'd have to be retarded not to believe that. The cons of this far, far, far outweigh the pros, and everyone involved knows it. The unintended consequences are going to be absolutely epic.

So screw them. Screw all of them. Take another terrific product and ruin it with BS. I don't have anything left to care for.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt it. It's more likely to lead to the demise of this website along with the whole sport.

Jason and I used to follow the NBA religiously as roommates 20+ years ago. We'd go pick up a burger at Wendy's with a copy of the USA Today sports section and study the box scores. Now I've never heard of half the smelly European (or even American) tards dribbling basketballs in that garbage league. It's a crap product and I hope it goes under, and those responsible executed. Start with David Stern and work your way up to LeBron James, a "transitional" player that is responsible for more harm to the league that can even be measured. When Michael Jordan retired, the NBA was done.

I've found myself caring a little less about the NFL as the years go on. I hardly even watch the games anymore. Ten years from now, I can only guess that I won't know who most of the players are in that doomed league, either.

This is the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it. Honestly, you'd have to be retarded not to believe that. The cons of this far, far, far outweigh the pros, and everyone involved knows it. The unintended consequences are going to be absolutely epic.

So screw them. Screw all of them. Take another terrific product and ruin it with BS. I don't have anything left to care for.
Who is Jason?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
So bob the booster tells 5 star athlete if he attends the school they'll pay him money to use his likeness in their car ads and stuff like that. Well, here we go......
Yep

The possibilities are endless and policing this is impossible. Line up the lawyers for every infraction the NCAA tries to levy. Never mind trying to get these kids motivated to play. You will have a couple kids on each team with big deals and the rest crying poor. Team culture will suffer when Johnny is on billboards holding up sneakers.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This was happening, and always had been, for a long long time. Renaldo Garcia, back in the Norm Sloan years, told me once he could have a car whenever he wanted. It really only hurt the folks who were at least attempting to play by the rules. As soon as the money got really crazy, it was only a matter of time.

Even Barry Switzer shared with a group of us recently that he was pissed Lincoln Riley gets 7M a year when he only got 27K for the same record after 40 games. Money corrupts.

It may ruin college football, as Ox has forecasted, we will very quickly find out, but it has been heading down this road for a long time.

Like CS pointed out, the schools willing to spend money were winning anyway. Now, at least, a top player who really wants to play at a school but feels he has to take gifts from another school has the chance to do so without sacrificing where he wants to be. Not great but this is all big business and has been for quite a while.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
It's about time.

They should of just created a minimum pay scale and they could have avoided this. Too many very poor kids have been chewed up through the years by these programs without anything to show for it. Read Ray Lewis’s book. He showed up at UM with $20 a pair of jeans and three t-shirts dropped off by his grandmother. Yes he made it but for every Ray Lewis there has been hundreds tossed aside.

This will quickly get out of control. Every college athlete from every sport will look to cut a deal and will monetize their social media. How you going to monitor that? Lose a big game or get benched and the salacious rantings will blow up so they can get clicks and get paid.

Absolute disaster.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At least I can get NCAA Football back as a video game and run the Gators as God Himself intended.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
The only way this doesn’t get out of hand is if the pot is somehow distributed equally. Once agents arrived it’s the Wild West.

Curious to see what programs get cut and how the lower tier sports react to this. Will women’s sports require equal share that football gets?

Forget the agents. The unions are already planning to sweep in so the they can represent the lessor known athletes and create national deals which will utilize local athletes.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

This isn't the demise of those sports, it is the natural aging of fans (and in the NBA's case the loss of the most dynamic athlete of many of our lives (with some argument for Tiger). Nearly all of us watched many more sports when we were 20 years younger (some 40 years younger), when we had less life, family and job responsibilities. Now, our marginal hours are harder to dedicate, so we are more selective. Most here have picked college football. Nearly all of us will be less passionate about it as we age. We just happen to be starting from a more passionate spot than most.

But, openly paying the best players isn't going to change much. Many are being not so secretly paid anyway. As I've written in the now locked Florida and California thread, we are not in the worst spot here to make something of this ourselves. Sure ND may come back more as a result of this change, but we are the biggest program in the third largest state. We are going to be a serious player. Our money just will not go through the AD to F up.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
So will it be ok for a high school kid to have a you tube channel or a pay to view website so people can see his film? Then of course it is just fine that every booster, coach, alumnus ect ect signs up. Bamn instantly the kid has a million bucks and goes to Bama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator