Game Over: NCAA allows athletes to profit from name

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
So we're basically writing legislature for a couple of examples that are extremely rare.

These stories may be motivating, but I don't think they drove this change. Adult fans and college student rolling around in Jerseys for Gurley, Akers, Barkley, Zion Williamson, etc , many after they have graduated were more impactful (I'm not arguing here that this alone justifies the change or that the change will not cause major issues). The other major impact is the continuing ballooning of the billions of dollars made off of two college sports. Are there any other entertainment options where the entertainers can't go market themselves for endorsements as well? Maybe, but I can't think of any and I think that reality was more impactful than protecting the guys who might get injured. In reality, Lattimore, Chester, etc. would have still lost far more through injury and no college endorsement for a DT who shared time with Ellis Johnson was coming close to fixing that problem. The insurance will still be needed. Maybe more players will be able to buy insurance.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Point 1) Great. I like it. So we find out in January that Robinson has a heart condition that will prevent him from ever playing, immediately move on to other prospects, and he's left holding a preliminary contract that will no longer be executed and a lanyard from his OV to a school that will no longer offer him a scholarship. Massive win for the young man.

I get what you are trying to do, but there is no comparison between someone who never busted one sweat for a program and a person who worked his a$$ off, earned his program millions in sold merchandise and then got injured just before being a first round draft pick. The sooner you find out a high school player has a heart condition, the better. Screening them before they drop dead in their senior year of high school is a lot better than a lost scholarship.

Point 2) Assuming this was at approximately age 25, inflation alone would leave you in a real bind before you hit 40. Not to mention that whole thing would be a considerable concession prize give what could've been if given the opportunity, which is basically what those insurance policies are for athletes. Bottom line, UF Health is making a fortune off of you. And if you can't perform, even if it's through no fault of your own, you're getting peanuts and will likely have to settle for some other job at a fraction of the pay.

As I said, the disability only needs to keep you from doing the job you needed to do. A physician can still earn substantial amounts and get 60% of their previous salary. Also there is a 3% increased cost of living clause built into these disability policies.

I definitely think all schools or the NCAA should have insurance policies paid on all players. It would be a drop in the bucket for the NCAA.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Remember the bouncing ball songs and or commercials? We have some members that can’t follow along even with that...

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If the NCAA is serious about maintaining the integrity of a student-athlete centered sport, simply require all enrollees to score 1600+ on a proctored SAT (or equivalent ACT score) exam prior to being eligible for recruitment by any member institution.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I get what you are trying to do, but there is no comparison between someone who never busted one sweat for a program and a person who worked his a$$ off, earned his program millions in sold merchandise and then got injured just before being a first round draft pick. The sooner you find out a high school player has a heart condition, the better. Screening them before they drop dead in their senior year of high school is a lot better than a lost scholarship.

As I said, the disability only needs to keep you from doing the job you needed to do. A physician can still earn substantial amounts and get 60% of their previous salary. Also there is a 3% increased cost of living clause built into these disability policies.

I definitely think all schools or the NCAA should have insurance policies paid on all players. It would be a drop in the bucket for the NCAA.

I could definitely get behind that, and think that's a much better way of handling things if this is our concern. It would also be the most equitable, which should absolutely be the goal. Having an already wealthy Tebow padding a bank account and Harvin buying the best weed available, while the Trautwein/Watkins/Pouncey's of the world are stuck being broke and/or watching broke parents struggle, will create problems within a locker room. I'm not sure how anyone can't see that.

But again, yes, I like the idea of an insurance policy being granted by the NCAA. I'm sure there will be problems there as well that I haven't taken the time to explore, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be better.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, but, it cuts out Fooley's Clowns from the process.

This could be good for us.

I agree though, by signed photographs of your favoeite Gators and fvkk sending money to UAA only to be pocketed by bureaicrats or spent on softball and baseball.

It could be. But it depends where we land payroll wise. Certainly we will be in the 5-10 range. But I fear there Is no amount that Bama fans won’t spend.
Then of course the barn will have to keep up.
LSU isn’t going to be left behind.
And aTm has plenty of money.
So UF and UGAy will play catch up with the West.
And that’s just the SEC.
It certainly clarifies recruiting and makes it less interesting. No need to have ace recruiters since it will come down to the bottom line.
As a recruiter you could maybe sell playing time or prep for the pros. But now these kids will just go to the highest bidder.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thinking about all the variables of this situation, there are a ton of moving parts that it seems would be impossible to sync and have it work with minimal flaws. Good points about the likely inequities among the opportunities/payments to the stars and the lunch pail guys and other lesser-knowns. Surely there will be discontent among the differing amounts received between players? Can't imagine it being good for team chemistry as others have pointed out. As for these endorsements and previous "incentives" received by college athletes...
It won't make it better, just more open. It is allowing kids to do what they are already doing under the table.
...I doubt that the behind-the-scenes stuff will cease. Kind of like the argument about legalizing drugs...who the hell wants to pay the government a cut when they can keep it rolling as is? And if the endorsements get really crazy, shouldn't the players take some of the responsibility for their university-related expenses (somebody raised the tax responsibility question)? No more need for Pell Grants I would think. And how's Title IX going to feel about all of this?

There is merit to the argument that college athletes deserve some compensation beyond the value of the scholarship (which doesn't consider the forecast of employment opportunities once the ball is over, nor the great contacts that most of the athletes can make to enhance the aforementioned employment needs). But without some regulatory guidelines in place, I can't imagine how it won't make a mess of an already imperfect system. @soflagator reminds us all of the value of the college scholarship and degree that is available for those who choose to work for it. It may seem outdated thinking, but it will be there and provide a means of living when all the Escalades quit running and Uncle Gus' car detail franchise (that you sunk $2mil in) goes belly up. Priorities...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Likenesses? Kids will be "selling" autographs for $5000 a pop to boosters.

Queue the Doors This is the End...

How is it any different than now? Except now they’re just getting money in paper bags?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How is it any different than now? Except now they’re just getting money in paper bags?
Before it was done behind closed doors and kept quiet. Now punks will be flaunting all their bling to their less-talented teammates. It’s going to be a disaster for team morale.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Before it was done behind closed doors and kept quiet. Now punks will be flaunting all their bling to their less-talented teammates. It’s going to be a disaster for team morale.

I think it was kept behind closed doors as far as media is concerned. But I think other players know when other players are getting paid.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think it was kept behind closed doors as far as media is concerned. But I think other players know when other players are getting paid.
I think they have an idea, yes. But it wasn’t in your face. Now we’re going to have to see some doofus with diamond-capped teeth pull up to practice in his Bentley. It’s enough to make you puke.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Yeah maybe but when the other 98% on each team start seeing Marquez and Kyle all over social media and on billboards and driving new whips there is going to be very real and negative consequences for the team culture.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It could be. But it depends where we land payroll wise. Certainly we will be in the 5-10 range
that's still drastically better than where we are now. It's no doubt not the only factor but we pay about half the stipend that FSU, UT Jr or even Central. I'd be surprised if we're in the top 50 today.

. But I fear there Is no amount that Bama fans won’t spend.
Nothing changed the day after that wasn't true the day before. Trailerbammer was paying $200,000 to a high school coach for a high three-star tackle in the 90s. Travis Carroll was given an SUV. Every player gets a expensive sports car or Cadillac Escalade now, their parents get houses, their fathers sell fake lawn businesses for half a MM.

We currently give half of the max stipend (approx $6000), some of the worst housing this side of Eastern Europe, and the name of a friendly used scooter dealer.

We have more alumni and business opportunities. We certainly won't be coming in behind directional schools. If nothing else the kids can sell signed photographs, jerseys, footballs whatever. We will sell a lot more than directional schools.

The good news this is something we DONT have to rely on convincing the slumlords to pay.

Last edited:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
What happens when the women athletes start wanting the men athletes $?...?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator