Game Reset on Dan Mullen

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nice job on this, however Spurrier was 1-1 in the SECCG, lost the first one in 92 and won it in 93. I have some problems with Mullen’s arrogance at times and his unwillingness to make changes when they are needed, but Spurrier was like that too, it took him a while to install the shotgun into his offense for one. I think Mullen is doing a better job than anyone else we could have gotten at the time he was hired, the one thing he could adopt from Spurrier is to not stick with dead wood coaches and players that aren’t getting the job done. Spurrier knew when to kick someone to the curb when it was needed.

‘93 was Spurrier’s fourth season. We’re counting through game #4.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nice job on this, however Spurrier was 1-1 in the SECCG, lost the first one in 92 and won it in 93. I have some problems with Mullen’s arrogance at times and his unwillingness to make changes when they are needed, but Spurrier was like that too, it took him a while to install the shotgun into his offense for one. I think Mullen is doing a better job than anyone else we could have gotten at the time he was hired, the one thing he could adopt from Spurrier is to not stick with dead wood coaches and players that aren’t getting the job done. Spurrier knew when to kick someone to the curb when it was needed.

There are differences for sure. I feel like I say this about 5 times daily here, but Mullen is not Spurrier. But it’s more a compliment to Steve than a knock on Dan. We are not going land first ballot HOF coach every time. But there’s a massive gap between HOF and complete garbage. We’re experiencing somewhere in the middle right now. Maybe he gets us over that hump, maybe he doesn’t. I’m ok with the experiment. Just sort of wish he’d stop being such a belt-fed excuse launcher along the way.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I posted a breakdown last week of the first 4 years for both(going off of Top 10 end of year rankings which I feel is a more accurate gauge).

It was almost always a two game season with some exceptions and change of characters. It still is basically a two game season.

Mullen is not on par at this point and basically has no chance of equaling his win totals against Top 10 teams because we won’t have the opportunity other than Jax and Ala in Atl.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

that we play? Just those two I think. The SEC west has quite a few ranked teams. The SEC East is garbage and has been for several years.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

I’ve got to give you credit for bringing context to numbers. Not that you ever fail to in the years I’ve seen your posts. I hear the record vs. record stats and similar things like this could be said for Zook vs. Mullen.

As far as the question, LSU might get ranked, Mizzou could’ve been, but blew it. Other than that, no.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I like the offensive product on the field. Yesterday’s 1st half was a bit boring though. Like we were sleep walking.

I don’t get why we keep Grantham. Hopefully we lead in sacks this year and Grantham moves on.

I agree 100% that my issue with Mullen is he is pretentious as fvk. But in a non endearing way.

Oh and the abortion ending to last season.

I’d like us to recruit like the big boys. I think Mullen generally out coaches the opposition but if he just recruited like a normal staff, we would have a much stronger program.
TBH, I've been surprised and somewhat relieved by the improvement in EJ's play. I seriously doubted that he would look like anything like a competent SEC QB, any time soon, if at all. Grantham has always sucked and always will.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
‘93 was Spurrier’s fourth season. We’re counting through game #4.

Well, you want to be accurate with the numbers, then double check your math. Let’s start with the fact that SOS was 0-1 in the SECCG at this point, not 0-2. But wait, there’s more, because you’re covering a time period when the format changed.

1990 - unofficial #1 in the SEC. Not the HBC’s fault UF was on probation, still accomplished that with another coach’s players.

1991 - SEC CHAMPS (and killed a good f$u’s shot at a MNC). Still mostly using another coach’s players.

1992 - lost the SECCG to eventual MNC bamuh.

If not for probation, SOS has a 2-1 record for SEC Championships in the first 3 seasons. So, not only is your “0-2” stat inaccurate, it is horribly misleading when comparing performance on the field. Btw, he was 3-0 vs the barn and ugaly, each.

I stubbornly have hope for DM to figure things out, I’m still pulling for him, but he’s not in the same league as Florida’s favorite son.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good catch on Spurrier, CG. My calculator wasn’t trusty after all.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the info and numbers. It's never a good idea to live in the past, though too often we do. Mullen should be judged on now, and it is about results. Former coaches with different administrations, different league, different times won what we long for and want to win now. I do think he's trying to figure it out but some things are real head scratchers from my perspective. He's in a race to get it done before the noise gets too loud.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I was curious how he ranked against the big boys, Spurrier and Meyer, at this point in his UF tenure. So I started googling and got out the trusty calculator.

Through game #4, fourth season.

Spurrier 32-8 (0-1 in SECCG)
Meyer 34-9 (1-0 in SECCG, BCS title)
Mullen 32-10 (0-1 in SECCG)

How about against ranked teams at this juncture? Mullen sucks against ranked teams, right? Maybe so, maybe not so bad compared to his predecessors.

Spurrier 9-8
Meyer 11-5
Mullen 7-6

Strength of schedule? Without spending half my day futilely comparing apples to pineapples, I’ll just say this: IMO, college football, and the SEC in particular, are far more competitive now than the early ‘90s or late ‘00s.

Maybe we shouldn’t be so hard on Mullen beyond the sometimes snarky attitude, the piss-poor recruiting and the inexplicable gay love for Todd Grantham.

You must be a natural born statistician. Quoting SOS's 0 and 1 record in the SECCG yet totally ignoring that we won the SEC Championship in 91 prior to the CG.

I can understand if you want to support the team, the coach, etc. But to imply that the program under Mullen is somehow on par with the program under Spurrier or Meyer just isn't credible.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I was wondering if it was time for some cognitive testing.
emoji3061.png
At his age he's doing well to remember is own address...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You must be a natural born statistician. Quoting SOS's 0 and 1 record in the SECCG yet totally ignoring that we won the SEC Championship in 91 prior to the CG.

I can understand if you want to support the team, the coach, etc. But to imply that the program under Mullen is somehow on par with the program under Spurrier or Meyer just isn't credible.

Not clear what you mean by ‘91 unless you’re referring to “1st in the SEC” in Spurrier’s first year, which didn’t involve a championship game.

You can infer what you want by my comments, but I’m only putting up the numbers to invite discussion and let the chips fall. No, I don’t believe Mullen is in Spurrier’s or Meyer’s elite category. That really wasn’t the point. I also don’t think he’s the complete numskull he’s often made out to be on this board. More to the point, I’m asking you to try and remember your thoughts about his predecessors four games into their fourth season, not based on the entire body of their UF work. I admit that’s challenging to do. We’re naturally influenced by the national titles that came later.

Mullen’s, too, is a work in progress.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This board is full of guys so smart and skilled they should be applying for head coaching positions at major universities.
I’ll bet 99% haven’t even coached at the Midget Football level. And like the donkey
have never had a football uniform on in their entire life.
We are soooo priviledged to hear the words of wisdom from these gifted folks.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Stats and records are stats and records. While Mullen’s on-field results are slightly better than I expected when he was hired, his recruiting is much worse than expected.
I’ve seen championship caliber teams built and sustained at UF. This ain’t it.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Not clear what you mean by ‘91 unless you’re referring to “1st in the SEC” in Spurrier’s first year, which didn’t involve a championship game.

There you go again... 1991 was our first official SEC Title (no SECCG, but won the conference). 1990 was the "1st in the SEC" due to probation. Dude, your memory is slipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator