Gator Basketball Gators blow it again, lose to LSU in OT

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't you think Keyontae was told to pass to Hudson during the time out?

Yeah I was talking about KJ getting the pass from Hudson when was was slipping. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4
seconds left on the clock. It's definitely not the best situation for a freshmen to be in, but i'm certain if he had to do it over again he would have
tried to create a shot for himself rather than passing it to Kevaughn.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I forgot to ask, was the goal tending reviewable or were they just reviewing for a flagrant foul of their big who got busted in the mouth? Because if that was reviewable and they didn’t reverse it that’s intentional game fixing. Zero question it had already reached apex and had started descent.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I'm guessing the call during timeout was something like "Give it to Hudson to try to drive it inside. If it isn't there, let's kick it over to Kevaughn on the perimeter to drive to the basket if it is open, if not, take the perimeter shot." In theory with the defense collapsing on Hudson driving to the basket, Kevaughn was likely to be open for at least a mid-range jumper

The breakdown happened when Hudson slipped, and the ball slowly trickled over to KJ, who did as he was coached, rather than adjust (take the scorer role) with the clock winding down. This allowed the defense to back away from Hudson and reset closer to the basket. It further broke down when Kevaughn didn't recognize that too much time was gone to try to drive it inside, even if it had been there. At most he had time to take a step or two inside, but definitely not to get it to the hoop, which was guarded by their trees anyway.

The play call wasn't a bad one, the execution was horrible. I can't really blame Hudson for slipping, things like that happen. I can't blame KJ for trying to get the play back on track, even though a more experienced KJ would either take the perimeter shot or step in for a midrange jumper. I do blame Kevaughn for not recognizing that there wasn't time to drive the ball all the way to the basket, and not taking either a perimeter shot, or, better, to dribble in one or two steps and create space for a 12-15 footer.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I forgot to ask, was the goal tending reviewable or were they just reviewing for a flagrant foul of their big who got busted in the mouth? Because if that was reviewable and they didn’t reverse it that’s intentional game fixing. Zero question it had already reached apex and had started descent.
If they weren't competing for the conference championship and a high NCAA seed I think goal tending would have been called!

BTW, I think basketball refs used run numbers for the mob before the lottery.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This is the most frustrating season in a long time. Just can’t help ourselves and get over the hump.
This season and the season where Jacob Kurtz rebounded the ball and it slipped into the basket for the winning game vs FSU (Billy's last season). I think that season we lost 5 games out of 17 losses by a collective 8 points or something ridiculous like that.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'm guessing the call during timeout was something like "Give it to Hudson to try to drive it inside. If it isn't there, let's kick it over to Kevaughn on the perimeter to drive to the basket if it is open, if not, take the perimeter shot." In theory with the defense collapsing on Hudson driving to the basket, Kevaughn was likely to be open for at least a mid-range jumper

The breakdown happened when Hudson slipped, and the ball slowly trickled over to KJ, who did as he was coached, rather than adjust (take the scorer role) with the clock winding down. This allowed the defense to back away from Hudson and reset closer to the basket. It further broke down when Kevaughn didn't recognize that too much time was gone to try to drive it inside, even if it had been there. At most he had time to take a step or two inside, but definitely not to get it to the hoop, which was guarded by their trees anyway.

The play call wasn't a bad one, the execution was horrible. I can't really blame Hudson for slipping, things like that happen. I can't blame KJ for trying to get the play back on track, even though a more experienced KJ would either take the perimeter shot or step in for a midrange jumper. I do blame Kevaughn for not recognizing that there wasn't time to drive the ball all the way to the basket, and not taking either a perimeter shot, or, better, to dribble in one or two steps and create space for a 12-15 footer.
He was open to take the three. The defender was closing in on him, but that has never stopped him before.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
He was open to take the three. The defender was closing in on him, but that has never stopped him before.

No no, Allen’s issue was the defender wasn’t close enough and wasn’t contesting his shot enough. That’s why he dribbled into the trees

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our players' efforts were hard-fought.
The loss came as a few mis-coached opportunities to win:
1) A properly intense coach would not have been lax here, not provided just one scenario to win.
2) White failed to ASAP "pick on" Reid to foul him out.
3) White didn't use Hudson's play to alert KJ, Allen, Locke to play similarly.
4) White didn't get it through to them that last chance to "bring the ball down-court faster", so the timeout leaves 1-2 more seconds to operate.
4) at the time out it should have been pounded into their heads that if the ball-handler draws a foul, we probably win, or at least tie for 2nd overtime with their 4-foul guys.
5) could our players have "tunnel vision" because they're coached with tunnel vision?

IDK, just some "on-paper" observations:
1) LSU went inside the 2nd half more than 1st half 21 vs 26.
2) the above hints at poor coaching instructions since Reid did that with 4 fouls
3) our guys made it close by their 2nd half play = 8-11 inside the arc = 72.7% plus with 7-14 from 3 = 50%.. That we played fantastic went unnoticed because it bore no coach-template = it was individual player efforts. Blame the players?

Last edited:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Was at the game and had a hell of a time up until the last play. While Fl. had many chances to win this game Allen not taking the shot from the corner on the last play stands out to me, make it or miss it give your team a chance to win.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I was at the game last night as well and also had a great time until the end. I had row 1 seats and it’s my belief that White didn’t intend to call the timeout at all. I think initially he didn’t want LSU to have a chance to set the defense. Then when Andrew took so much time to get across half court he changed his mind. I would not have called a time out either. LSU is too big to let them set up. We had a better shot in transition. Nice crowd for spring break time.

Wrong thread but the night before I went to the baseball game where we won 15-0 over FGCU. Really enjoyed it. Would have enjoyed it more if not for being dressed in SFla clothes and then realizing the temp was dropping rapidly.

Both nights the Salty Dog came to my rescue.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
There were a number of blunders in this game I was surprised that we got to OT at all. Our seniors have not done what others have in the past, and that would be to win the game late in the game, with our without "coaching".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.