Gator Basketball Gators blow one to LSU; NIT bound?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Guess we can’t be too upset giving up 84 points. Wade out-schemed White over and over, creating mismatches nearly every time down.

Disheartening to get constantly punched in the face down low and keep accepting it. Kinda like in football when a team keeps gashing you on the ground and there’s nothing to stop it.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Guess we can’t be too upset giving up 84 points. Wade out-schemed White over and over, creating mismatches nearly every time down.

Disheartening to get constantly punched in the face down low and keep accepting it. Kinda like in football when a team keeps gashing you on the ground and there’s nothing to stop it.
Yeah, but Glover has to learn sometime.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
The thing is...do we even want them to barely make the dance and get booted in the first round or the second? Or even sweet 16. Knowing our AD, theres no a chance of white being fired if we make the dance. I started on thw white bandwagon. But this is such an egregious waste of talent...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We've seen Payne begin to spread his wings for Gator's benefit. Then Scottie Lewis began his effective rise tonight against tuff opponents. So Mann & Glover might catch on, but when Glover makes several sequential TOs remove him & let others help us not hurt us. A regular coach pulls a veteran if he makes repeated costly mistakes. The announcer said LSU made 24+points out of our 14(?)TOs. If Glover was left in long enuff to have 5 TOs that's a 10-12 point swing. No coach should be unaware of results like that!

Again though it looks like our Gators are on the rise and maybe will not be inconsistent as before. In fact, the way they refused to collapse against LSU is avoiding backsliding at those points when I thought "Here comes the collapse; LSU will pile it on now." But we fought back even.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Oh my goodness, we face Baylor next. They're 16-1. Baylor is not taller than we are. They have about a 12 point victory margin. They suffer 12 TOs/g. We are not so out of the chance to win, if we keep progressing = learning how to use Payne, how to weave Lewis into our basket architecture.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow tough game to lose but really credit our guys for hanging tough in a rough road environment where we got ZERO help from the refs. When another team shoots 20 more free throws then you, you have ZERO chance to win the game but we were right there in it. Amazing how when we went inside not much of anything was called but when LSU goes inside it was a foul just about every time. We shot a lot of 3s but the home cooking was very evident from the tip off. We will see if the calls are even when we play LSU at home in late February. BEAUTIFUL play drawn up by White to tie the game at the end there. KJ was just a little slow getting the shot off or else it was OT. Looking at the schedule we have #1 Baylor at home so that is most likely a loss but the 7 games after that we have to win 5 or 6 of those

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
We've seen Payne begin to spread his wings for Gator's benefit. Then Scottie Lewis began his effective rise tonight against tuff opponents. So Mann & Glover might catch on, but when Glover makes several sequential TOs remove him & let others help us not hurt us. A regular coach pulls a veteran if he makes repeated costly mistakes. The announcer said LSU made 24+points out of our 14(?)TOs. If Glover was left in long enuff to have 5 TOs that's a 10-12 point swing. No coach should be unaware of results like that!

Again though it looks like our Gators are on the rise and maybe will not be inconsistent as before. In fact, the way they refused to collapse against LSU is avoiding backsliding at those points when I thought "Here comes the collapse; LSU will pile it on now." But we fought back even.
Yeah and the defense took the second half off. I dont share your optimism

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but Glover has to learn sometime.

He should definitely be taught that "you make a sloppy play you come out. Even an experienced player gets pulled for shooting & missing too many 3s or shooting too early on the clock, etc. Some nights some guys need to sit awhile to get their heads straight. But I'm OK letting him learn when we are playing an easier team to beat.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LSU got to shoot 31 FTs while UF got to shoot 11. They got 24 pts off FT. We got 9 pts from FTs. Both teams hit the same good % of FTs.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
Tough loss. No moral victories, but I saw progress as far as some of the young athletes coming in to their own. Playing more intuitive, making quicker decisions. Thus could be huge.

White’s dilemma is he really has two factions on O. Nembhard, Blackshear, and Locke are not elite athletes but bring good ball security and high IQ. They benefit the team playing a methodical offense. Lewis, Mann, and Johnson are better athletes that fit a running style, and excel in transition. Glover fits the latter style better, but isn’t at the level of those 3. Payne adds value to both styles as a rangy, hard working big man. The fixer.

I will take it as a good sign when the team situationally prioritizes the transitional game, and starts moving more quickly and decisively in the set offense when they cannot run.

On rebounds or TOs Nembhard should look to run first, getting the ball out on the wing fast to Lewis, Mann, or Johnson and let them push the ball and finish at the rim if they can take it with a second pass or off the dribble; with Payne or Blackshear trailing. Those guys need to learn when it’s not there and kick it out to Locke, Blackshear, or Nembhard for an uncontested 3 in transition, or to then run the set.

The set O should be what we run first only off the inbounds. Only, because we have two problems there; inexperience and unreliable distance shooters. There just isn’t a trustworthy 3-point shooter on the team, which hampers running Princeton sets through Blackshear. If this roster had a Lee Humphrey, White would look like a genius because he knows that O well. Defenses would have to pick their poison. Crush the interior lanes or guard the perimeter. They just crush the lanes against this roster, negating the athleticism of the 5 stars. Imagine Lewis and Johnson cutting in the lane and getting fed by Kerry. So, absent running the O through Kerry that way, that leaves motion sets requiring young players to read the D and move in concert. White’s motion O is a bit like an RPO in that way, except more than one player has to make the read.

That’s why the ‘squeaky shoes’ concept has some merit. Players knowing what to do without thinking and standing around indicates they’re getting it. Once our fast twitch youngsters gel in that part of the game it will be a beautiful day.

I think I’m beginning to understand White’s situation and what he’s been doing. Exposing the 5stars to the half court game so they can run it fluidly during tourney time when teams who win the high-value possession battle win the big games. It has been painful to watch because we lack good outside shooting and I think the offense has been hard for these guys to pick up. Mann is perhaps the most glaring example of someone who’s thinking too much. The train is wobbling around the bend, but at least it is moving. Hopefully it snaps to the tracks in time to make the tourney. That’s Whites gamble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator