GCMB Poll: Worst UF football coach ever

Which UF coach bombed the most? (Won-loss record, years coached)

• Charlie Strong (0-1, 2004)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charley Pell (33-26, 1979-1984)

• Urban Meyer (65-15, 2005-2010)

• Galen Hall (40-18, 1984-1989)

• Total voters

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This. Darnell second.

One of the more colorful coaches was the Gator's HBC from back when men played the game and didn't need no stinkin helmets.
George E. Pyle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_E._Pyle

Pyle replaced Jack Forsythe as the Florida head football coach, and he held that position for five seasons, from 1909 to 1913. During that period, he accumulated a 26–7–3 record and a 0.764 winning percentage, making him the third winningest coach in school history after Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer. In 1911, Pyle led Florida to its first and only undefeated season when the newly named Gators posted a 5–0–1 record.

The first Swindle

In 1912, Florida posted a 5–2–1 record. After the season, the team participated in its first post-season game, the Bacardi Bowl held in Havana, Cuba. It was actually a two-game series against different Cuban athletic clubs. The first game was played on December 25 under the so-called "old rules" that existed before the American football reforms of 1906. In that game, Florida defeated the Verado Tennis Club (?), 28–0. On December 30, Florida played the Cuban Athletic Club of Havana under the "new rules." According to one source, the game's referee was a former coach for the Cuban team, and the officiating was blatantly biased. After two Florida touchdowns were nullified by questionable officiating, Pyle protested a fifteen-yard penalty. When the referee offered a five-yard penalty instead, Pyle and his team left the game in protest. Another source states that the game ended late in the first quarter after a fight broke out between the teams; Florida accused the Cuban team of still playing under "the old rules." Regardless of the reason for the forfeiture, Pyle was arrested by the Cuban authorities. He was charged with violating a law that prohibited a game's suspension after money had been collected. After his trial was delayed, Pyle and the Gators left the island country, which caused him to be branded a "fugitive from justice."
Cool story. Thanks for posting

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dickey, without a doubt!

I still remember "first you have to avoid losing before you can win"

:facepalm:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am not trying to say Pell did no good for the program, but he may not have been a net good. What I am trying to point out is that UF has a long history of trying to pound a UAL style coach into the UF program and it has not worked yet. There must be some reason that somethings hasn't worked over multiple decades.

Pell, Alabama everyone was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Hall put more of a passing offense in, and Spurrier completely changed the game. But I don't fault Pell when that is what everyone was doing. I do fault Muschamp and McElwain (even though his CSU offense wasn't Alabama offense). It a difference in time and athlete. I understand what you are saying, but following Bama in late 70s early 80s is different than following Saban's bama of the 00's/10's.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
From my recollection, Wayne Peace threw the ball quite a bit. Not really the "3 yards..." Pell offense some of you are describing. Plus Hampton, Anderson and Williams covered more than 3 yards.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp and it's not even close...but I'm only counting those i was around for (since 1991 season)

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
From my recollection, Wayne Peace threw the ball quite a bit. Not really the "3 yards..." Pell offense some of you are describing. Plus Hampton, Anderson and Williams covered more than 3 yards.
As much talent Pell brought to UF, he couldn't pull off a win against UGA.

Bob Hewko was a decent QB back in the day as well.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Hands down, its Muschamp. What he did to our program can still be seen. Though the short sighted fans can't seem to see it, coach Mac is still digging us out of that hole. once he has brought the team up to par, then we will see what he really can do. He has done much with very little. I just hope the loudmouthed minority doesn't run him out of town before this happens.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From my recollection, Wayne Peace threw the ball quite a bit.
7000 yards over 4 years. Very pedestrian. Less than 2000 yards a year, but not bad I suppose for boring ball being played then by most teams.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Chump, of course. We turned him into a wealthy redneck and all we got in return was McElwain.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know everyone wants to pile on chump but clearly the Zooker was worse.

Zook
1. Inherited a loaded team to include one of the top 3-4 QB's we have ever had
2. Teams were bad in all phases of the game
2. Left us with a decent amount of talent but he added a losing culture

Chump
1. Inherited talent but it was mostly very young
2. Inherited a broken program and an entitlement culture
3. Purged the program of offense but built great defenses
4. Left us with gobs of defensive talent and a losing culture

Not defending chump (nobody would) but he inherited a much worse situation than the Zooker

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Zook

2. Left us with a decent amount of talent but he added a losing culture

Certainly Zook was the first step UF took away from a meritocracy in football.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

The '84 team was the most potent offensively of any of Pell's other teams, and you have to wonder why. Was it due to the presence of Bell, who was unusually cool in the pocket for a freshman? Was it because of the maturation of John L. Williams, Neal Anderson and Lorenzo Hampton in the backfield, who together combined for 2,575 yards? Was it the changeover at OC from Mike Shanahan to Galen Hall? Was it the blocking up front from the Great Wall? Probably all four.

The '83 team with Marshall was Pell's best defensively. The '84 team was his best offensively. BTW, the '83 team began the season with a 28-3 thumping of Miami, which went on to beat Nebraska for the national championship.

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No way. Zook never had a losing season, he didn't lose to an FCS squad, he beat the nulls on Ron Zook field and he left Meyer with a national championship defense.

Sure, I wanted him fired before he coached his first game, but no way in hell was he the worst.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thats crazy talk. Im not really going to address it.

Zooker vs Butters is a decent argument. Both have about the same records vs ranked teams, we just played more good teams back then. Id say Zook actually had a stength, namely recruiting. He also prodeuced a reasonably potent offense.

Im hard pressed to think of anything Butters does with competence.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The '84 team was the most potent offensively of any of Pell's other teams, and you have to wonder why. Was it due to the presence of Bell, who was unusually cool in the pocket for a freshman? Was it because of the maturation of John L. Williams, Neal Anderson and Lorenzo Hampton in the backfield, who together combined for 2,575 yards? Was it the changeover at OC from Mike Shanahan to Galen Hall? Was it the blocking up front from the Great Wall? Probably all four.

The '83 team with Marshall was Pell's best defensively. The '84 team was his best offensively. BTW, the '83 team began the season with a 28-3 thumping of Miami, which went on to beat Nebraska for the national championship.

I think it is the combination of the factors. Hall was a better playcaller than most give him credit for. Him and Bell worked well together in multiple leagues.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it is the combination of the factors. Hall was a better playcaller than most give him credit for. Him and Bell worked well together in multiple leagues.

Hall was a brilliant playcaller, as good as any we had here until Spurrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.