GCMB Poll: Worst UF football coach ever

Which UF coach bombed the most? (Won-loss record, years coached)

• Charlie Strong (0-1, 2004)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charley Pell (33-26, 1979-1984)

• Urban Meyer (65-15, 2005-2010)

• Galen Hall (40-18, 1984-1989)

• Total voters

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well I did live through the Dickey years. He and Muschamp have to be 1a/1b for the worst ever. Most hated coach.......for me it was Zook. Could not stand him and he was a terrible figure for anything UF. I have always said that RZ should have never even been offered the job. Why would you hire for HC the guy that Spurrier ran off. Zook can make a strong case for 1c.

Yeah I wavered back and forth between Dickey and Chump but taking into consideration all things, Chump was the winner. Dickey sucked balls but up until his time we'd only had a couple good years and hadn't become a national power yet so the suckatude wasn't as strongly felt. But losing at home to Georgia Southern secured Chump's place as the worst of all time for ever.......hopefully.

I do remember Dickey getting roundly booed when he was introduced at Gator Growl his last year. And that was back when Gator Growl was actually good and attended by 65,000.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
#gatorchattermyth #32 Meyer left a broken program.
The program was far from broken. Yes it had a few ne'er-do-wells and scullywags but it had enough athletes to hold a scrimmage and Florida still had reputation to get top recruits. A mere speed bump. And yet Chump took all that luster and in his third year went 4-8.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't buy that urban left the program broken. We won 11 games 2 years after he left because of how loaded we were on the defensive side of the ball.
Not having an offense IS broken.

Yes, he left maybe the best class in history on defense. But zero on offense.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp should be the only choice on this list, the guy lost to a Georgia F'n Southern team that didn't complete a pass in the game.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Muschamp should be the only choice on this list, the guy lost to a Georgia F'n Southern team that didn't complete a pass in the game.
And had just as many injured players as UF. Or was it injured starters?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Dickey. I liked the man. He was a gator and Gainseville boy.. He won it at UT and seemed the right pick. He was too nice in that time period and the players were having too much fun in Yon Hall back then. He had UGA beat one day for the SEC title and they crashed and burned. His team was loaded with speed and talent but I guess not heart. Up 27-10 over UGA they lost 42 (?) -27.
Worst loss ever except for the Lindsey Scott loss.............
It's never mentioned much, but the Richard Appleby pass was pretty doggone deflating

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
as long as we keep shaking the Saban tree, we never will.

I think we could go on about the state Meyer left the program in. But this is the real problem. Saban maybe is ok for the UAL program, but he is not what I want at UF. UF copying UAL did not worked out with Pell nor Muschamp and I wonder if it will work out with McElwain.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we could go on about the state Meyer left the program in. But this is the real problem. Saban maybe is ok for the UAL program, but he is not what I want at UF. UF copying UAL did not worked out with Pell nor Muschamp and I wonder if it will work out with McElwain.

Difference is Pell did a lot of good for the program, restructured how the athletic program made money, and how the University Recruited (in a good way). Other than some rebalancing of the roster, so far Butters has a complete incomplete in his footprint on the program.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
At this point I truly wish we were copying bamas program... we'd have a ridiculous coaching staff, complimented by a ridiculous support staff, and finally followed up by top 3 classes.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Difference is Pell did a lot of good for the program, restructured how the athletic program made money, and how the University Recruited (in a good way). Other than some rebalancing of the roster, so far Butters has a complete incomplete in his footprint on the program.

I am not trying to say Pell did no good for the program, but he may not have been a net good. What I am trying to point out is that UF has a long history of trying to pound a UAL style coach into the UF program and it has not worked yet. There must be some reason that somethings hasn't worked over multiple decades.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I am not trying to say Pell did no good for the program, but he may not have been a net good. What I am trying to point out is that UF has a long history of trying to pound a UAL style coach into the UF program and it has not worked yet. There must be some reason that somethings hasn't worked over multiple decades.
Back in the days of Pell everybody in the SEC was running the same 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. That's why/how Spurrier changed the game. Zook didn't have an offensive plan that I could discern. Meyer of course brought something that was decidedly not 'bama ball. Chump on the other hand definitely tried to emulate 'bama so we fired him. Mac was brought in to change that. Now nobody knows what a Mac/Nuss offense at Florida looks like because we've yet to see one. But apparently it needs a passing game because it damn sure doesn't work without it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Back in the days of Pell everybody in the SEC was running the same 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. That's why/how Spurrier changed the game. Zook didn't have an offensive plan that I could discern. Meyer of course brought something that was decidedly not 'bama ball. Chump on the other hand definitely tried to emulate 'bama so we fired him. Mac was brought in to change that. Now nobody knows what a Mac/Nuss offense at Florida looks like because we've yet to see one. But apparently it needs a passing game because it damn sure doesn't work without it.

Very good summary of the hires from Pell on. Still emulating UAL has not yet worked for UF and it was tried in the 1980s and now has been tried twice in the 2010s. I guess one can say that that McElwain was only at UAL for 4 years, but without those 4 years he probably does not get the job at UF.

My expanded view on each hire is:

Pell: An blatant attempt to copy UAL's style which has long been defenses, special teams and cheating. UF played ok at times but Pell also tightened up at times and of course UF got into big probation problems.

Spurrier: Brought in to put spark back into the offense that stagnated under Hall after Bell left. He did and along with Graves earlier tenure established the style UF fans expect from their program.

Zook: Was a guy with a plan to fix up a junker but was handed the keys to a Ferrari. Zook's plan was to rebuild a program from rubble and he failed to adjust it to the program he was hired to run. Foley also wanted to put his stamp on the football program with this hire.

Meyer: This was Machen's hire. I personally did not like it at the time. I did not like what Meyer did to the program while he was there. He is a heck of a coach, but has zero confidence in his coaching so he constantly tries to win with bad guys. He runs a high school offense which matches his thought that he is not a good enough coach and must get better players than the competition.

Muschamp: Foley once again trying to put his stamp on the program and be a copycat when to the perfect bureaucrat hire: A UAL/Saban guy who was coach in waiting at UTx. Better yet the guy lived in Gainesville growing up and Foley could ignor that UGa connection.

McElwain: Foley was not giving up on his UAL/Saban dream. We shall see if it works out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm getting a kick out of all these references to copycatting Bama. Screw that. I'm not even sure Bama wants to Bama anymore, and esp not after watching them get their asses handed from a fast, playmaking, hungrier Clemson team. You know what they say about job interviews and first dates -- be good but mainly be yourself. We're good at getting people open in space, chasing down the quarterback from the corners and generally speaking making plays other teams can't. Well, we USED to be good at that.

Let's get back to being Florida and forget trying to be someone we're not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.