Grantham spurns Bengals, stays at UF

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely agree with Law and Alky that if Grantham bolts promoting Gray makes the most sense.
The only downside with this is it almost surely keeps Ron on staff. I've wanted to bring Mike P back
for awhile now, but i'm not sure how he or Bam would fit into the staff with Robinson here , who we
need to keep on board.
Having the extra coaching position should help. I’d think English would stay, but I think a young replacement for English with Gray overseeing would work. Hell, Gray may be able to handle secondary and DC, not sure if he could or not.

I think if you bring in a good LB coach, you could split the front 7 into groups and have two seasoned coaches help bring Robinson along w/o negatively impacting on field performance.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you'd be happy to lose our best recruiter because of where he went to college? Or our best DC since 2012 because he coached at one of our rivals for a little while? Makes perfect sense. I for one hope we keep them both and I bet Mullen does as well.

We just hired our best recruiter in Gray, and the LB's missed enough tackles and were out of position enough for me to think CRob is replaceable, especially with Durkin unemployed right now. Also our defenses under Collins were statistically better than Grantham's. Yes Grantham had less talent to work with, but he gave up 303 yards rushing to UK, 471 total yards to Mizzou, and 31 points to a Muschamp coached offense this year. Meh.

He's a good DC, and I'm certainly fine if he stays; however, I think the chances are pretty low that we'll downgrade if Grantham leaves.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
One part of the equation that a lot of people seem to forget during these times is who is realistically available. Timing is everything.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@GatorDave_SEC: So this was the last time it looked like Grantham was heading to the NFL. Decided to stay at Louisville. So he could either see the Cincy job as a last chance to get back in or stay at UF and take advantage of all the talent he's building.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
With Mullen’s hiring history at DC, I’m confident the next guy will be solid. I’d like the guy to run an aggressive defense but not the kamikaze style Grantham runs.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
With Mullen’s hiring history at DC, I’m confident the next guy will be solid. I’d like the guy to run an aggressive defense but not the kamikaze style Grantham runs.

Im with ya. I am no x's and o's guy but I appreciate the attack style D but also see us getting burned because of it. I was hoping upgrading talent would help. It "seems" that several players have commented that they like Grantham and his style of D. Personally I would rather him stay one more year before making a move but would gladly welcome DJ back with open arms. Im not totally sold on MM yet but who knows. I absolutely hated the Mullen hire at first so....

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@GatorDave_SEC: IF Grantham leaves, I make Bud Foster tell me no first. I DON"T THINK HE WILL LEAVE VT, but with everything that is going on with all the transfers under Fuente, the talent he could recruit at UF, and the chance to work with Torrian Gray... now would be the time to leave VT.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
1st question...what am I missing on English? Seems many here would welcome his departure. What am I missing?

2nd question...we all know Durkin is a great DC so ability isn't the question, but isn't he too "toxic" still after the Maryland thing? I just could see recruits parents not feeling warm and fuzzy about him being their son's future coach.

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014
As much as I hate the Hokies, I would love Bud Foster. Always had a great defense with less talent. Yeah, I am sure you can find years where the defense wasn't great, but he's been there for so long. With Gray at UF and the transfer chaos at Tech, now maybe the time to get him. If Grantham leaves of course.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
As long as we are dreaming 'about slim to none chance' hire like Foster, I would make Brent Venables tell me no first. WDWTA. DJ just had a player die under is watch with questionable 'culture'. Spitballing needs to get a little tighter shot group, imo.

GatorScott

Jan 21, 2019
Did you see the safeties play this year and have you seen his recruiting?
I was under the impression the safety play was more attributed to the change in scheme that Grantham brought, but I definitely see where you're going about the play being subpar (makes me wonder how worse it would've been without Gardner having a great season). As for recruiting, I do remember Mullen saying safety was a position of need next recruiting cycle. Thanks for clarifying.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Much to my chagrin, I think Manuel gets the first offer if Grantham leaves. I just hate the style of D MM runs.

:barfaway::barfaway::barfaway:

GatorScott

Jan 21, 2019
Much to my chagrin, I think Manuel gets the first offer if Grantham leaves. I just hate the style of D MM runs.

:barfaway::barfaway::barfaway:
it was brutal watching my Falcons D the past two seasons. Injuries played a part this past season, but Beasley regressed and there was no aggressiveness whatsoever on the rush or pass defense...hence why Dan Quinn fired Manuel and is taking over the D himself. I just think there has to be better quality candidates out there that would jump at chance to come to the 'Ville' and be the coordinator.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
As long as we are dreaming 'about slim to none chance' hire like Foster, I would make Brent Venables tell me no first. WDWTA. DJ just had a player die under is watch with questionable 'culture'. Spitballing needs to get a little tighter shot group, imo.
I suspect we'd never spend that kinda money on a coordinator, but, yeah, why not shoot for the moon in Venables? Sidenote: Didn't Urbs try to hire Foster his last season at UF?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect we'd never spend that kinda money on a coordinator, but, yeah, why not shoot for the moon in Venables? Sidenote: Didn't Urbs try to hire Foster his last season at UF?
Grantham makes $1.5m and would go to $1.6m so it's in the ballpark.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I'm not sure about Meyer, but Spurrier tried to hire him. Maybe around the time we hired John Hoke?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What about the UM DC or Mattison? Mattison may be too old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator