Grier vs Harris (Courtesy of Goldkamp)

deuce

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Grier is like that piece of candy you can't have.

rogdochar

RIP
Lifetime Member
Look, Treon's 4 solo games were using our most experienced team players.
Grier worked with our least experienced players. It looked to me that with Grier
the team was poised to improve better than with Treon.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
That's why the STATS are crazy. Grier looks as if he has a much better command of the offense but the stats belie that. Mind boggling.
I tell you what is mind boggling. This People Magazine BS debate about who is better and oh please let the appeal save us from the "midget" as the perv calls him...........After the 1/2 decade debacle we still have the negative norberts looking for something to pissss and moan about. McFly..........we are 9-1 going BACK TO ATLANTA with a real coach leading us and getting QUALITY play out of guys not ready for prime time. The future is bright and this team has played lights out enough to be 9-1............So proud of these guys........to bad some fans are too dim to see it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
And you're the one sitting at home talking trash about our Qb, oh how successful you are! I think most everyone knows at this point that Grier is a better Qb to the eye test and we'd be better with him, no reason to call treon a "Midget". Bet you didn't call Leak a midget who was only 6'0, dumbass.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.

Chris Leak was a fairly good college QB, but he would not have won a championship trophy without Tim Tebow.

He could not cut it at the next level because he is too short, too slow, and too scared.[/QUOTE]

AND you are a fckn moron..........Chris Leak played for 3 different offensive (not offensive like you)coordinators and ended up with stats that rivaled SOS QBs. He played against every bad ass SEC def. You dont do that being a coward. Of course he didnt have a computer screen to hide behind like you but you get my drift. Leak was/is a GREAT gator and your description is Nole Like at worst and ignorant at best............btw your God, Timmy didnt cut it at that level either, I guess.

Last edited:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
I just hate to see our "Fans" sitting at home talking trash about our players. Treon isn't a great Qb but he's helped us win some football games. I will continue to support him as long as he's here.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.

I to object to the name calling directed at our players. My question, did you react this way to the crass things said about (and still being said) Driskel?

Swamp Donkey

7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Chris Leak was a fairly good college QB, but he would not have won a championship trophy without Tim Tebow.
No, Chris Leak was a great college QB but he was stuck with a fvkktarded OC that wanted to run the Bob Davie's option.

Spurrier would have scored 50 points a game with Leak.

GatorJ

Hopeful
Looking at their play, I think Grier has a higher ceiling. But I am incredibly thankful that Harris is still here. We would not be in the position we are without his commitment and skill.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
The problem is also taking into account that all the players were new to this offense this season. Much like Treon and Will were learning the offense so was every one else. All the other players are growing within the offense, and the offensive line has been growing (still a weakness). If this was next season where everyone had a year within the system this comparison would be more apt. We may have played the better defenses with Treon, but we have also played 4 of the worst offenses on our schedule with Treon at the helm. Which presents more opportunities.

In the eye test I think Grier is better, mostly because I prefer that style of quarterback. But Harris has done very well for this team in the last two years.

Gatorhunter

Lifetime Member
Leak was the MVP of the 2006 NC game. Just sayin'. We tend to look at him in the shadow of Tebow. And he was vertically challenged and it was a problem. But Treon is nowhere near the QB Leak was. That's laughable.

I'm not saying Treon is as good as Leak but comparing a senior Leak to a true sophomore Treon is not really fair.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
I'm not saying Treon is as good as Leak but comparing a senior Leak to a true sophomore Treon is not really fair.

What about comparing a true sophomore Leak and a true sophomore Treon.

Treon Harris
Freshman 49.5% 9 tds 4 ints 146.2 rating 4.4 ypc 3 tds
Sophomore 55.6% 6 tds 3 ints 134.8 rating 3.4 ypc 0 tds

Chris Leak
Freshman 59.4% 16 tds 11 ints 132.9 rating -.8 ypc 2 tds
Sophomre 59.6% 29 tds 12 ints 144.9 rating 1.3 ypc 2 tds

Thus far I prefer Leaks true sophomore numbers comparitively

TheBigClaw

Proud to be a Gator
I to object to the name calling directed at our players. My question, did you react this way to the crass things said about (and still being said) Driskel?

I didn't like Driskel as a player but never once called him any names. He was still a university of Florida football player and needed the fans support. He was and is a fantastic young man and I'm happy he's doing well for himself at LA tech.

alcoholica

I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Chris Leak is one of the more overrated QB's at UF. Not saying he wasn't good, he was. However, some want to over correct and compare him to Wuerffel, Matthews, Grossman, etc. Those seem to forget that we were playing catch up so often during the Zook era that Leak got a chance to pad his stats. SOS would jump out early and run out the 2nd half. Can you imagine the stats that SOS's QB's would put up if he wanted to run the offense for 4 quarters?

Leak was also a pussy. The old chuck and duck. He was the exact opposite of Tebow in that regard. Probably the least tough QB since SOS came back to UF.

Again, not saying he wasn't good, but not great either. If he had played for SOS, maybe he would have great, but he didn't.

t-gator

too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
I tell you what is mind boggling. This People Magazine BS debate about who is better and oh please let the appeal save us from the "midget" as the perv calls him...........After the 1/2 decade debacle we still have the negative norberts looking for something to pissss and moan about. McFly..........we are 9-1 going BACK TO ATLANTA with a real coach leading us and getting QUALITY play out of guys not ready for prime time. The future is bright and this team has played lights out enough to be 9-1............So proud of these guys........to bad some fans are too dim to see it.
Nobody's unhappy where we're at. The debate in this thread is "grier vs treon" you're just too dim to see it.

Zambo

Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Treon is the guy. I'm behind him. Wish Grier was still here though because he was a better QB.

Grier could stand at the line, see where the go-to receiver was going to be, take the snap and have the ball out of there on a rope in half a second. It doesn't matter that he didn't complete all those passes, what matters is that he would throw it. It forced the defenses to back out of their run-stopping look and respect the pass. We weren't setting any records yet with Grier but anybody with some acumen could see the potential, something that hasn't existed here in what seems like forever.

Anyway, that's gone and we are running the Treon offense now. Its different and frustrating but its allowing us to stay in games and come out on top. Hard not to be excited not only about what's happening now but the future of this program under Mac.

CaribGator

Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
What about comparing a true sophomore Leak and a true sophomore Treon.

Treon Harris
Freshman 49.5% 9 tds 4 ints 146.2 rating 4.4 ypc 3 tds
Sophomore 55.6% 6 tds 3 ints 134.8 rating 3.4 ypc 0 tds

Chris Leak
Freshman 59.4% 16 tds 11 ints 132.9 rating -.8 ypc 2 tds
Sophomre 59.6% 29 tds 12 ints 144.9 rating 1.3 ypc 2 tds

Thus far I prefer Leaks true sophomore numbers comparitively

not bad, but only half the job, go back and count the starts for linemen in front each quarterback, Leak played behind a far more experienced oline and one that wasn't in it's first year of learning the system, couple that with WR Leak threw to.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
I don't see the point in these discussions because it is likely Grier won't be back until the middle of next year. So I've moved on. Still, for the purposes of this thread, Grier is more accurate. Actually he is far more accurate (52% career vs. Grier's 66%). Grier sees the field better and his timing is better. The coaching staff had said that. Grier spread the ball around better. How many of us have complained about the tight ends disappearing since Treon took over. The middle of the field has been untouched until the USCe game. And even then, that was because the o-line gave him a day and a half to throw the football. Lastly, defenses respected Grier's arm. You can tell that opposing defenses don't respect Treon at all. This has hurt our running game as it is worse under Treon. I leave out the UGA game because that game is an aberration. For whatever reason, jawja turns into scared naked mole rats when they play us.

Zambo

Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Leak was a good QB, better than anybody we have now. Lots of teams have won championships with QBs like Leak under center. The thing that I think gets forgotten about Leak was how frustrating it was watching him sometimes. He would throw a great pass one minute and then look lost the next. Of particular note was how many time he ran out of bounds behind the LOS trying to avoid a sack instead of just throwing it away. I think he set a record in that regard.

TheDouglas78

Lifetime Member
not bad, but only half the job, go back and count the starts for linemen in front each quarterback, Leak played behind a far more experienced oline and one that wasn't in it's first year of learning the system, couple that with WR Leak threw to.

Actually, it was Larry Fedora's first year as OC at Florida (Ed Zaunbrecher was the previous year). I'm not going to do the other research you want to "prove" what ever point you are trying to make. I guess a part you didn't want to take into account is coaching at the head coach level, the difference in having Zook to having someone like McElwain.

TheBigClaw

Proud to be a Gator
The only thing so far that I've seen that Treon's better at would be keeping his eyes down the field when scrambling. Grier seemed to go through his progressions much faster and better, was more accurate and also consistent. I've seen Treon improving slowly but surely, he just isn't breaking out the way Grier did vs Ole Miss and 4th quarter Tennessee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.