Grier's dad reveals more info in Charlotte Observer interview

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
The owner of a business I used to work at had a saying for things just like this: the more you stir it, the more it stinks. I think he should stop talking. Every time he says something he risks saying something that can be taken out of context or used against him. His public denials or pleas for understanding are not going to change anything or anybody's minds at this point so, stop talking and let the university deal with the NCAA.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The real sham is the supplement industry to begin with. How much are these kids spending on that garbage. If a supplement is really going to help you, it's certainly on the NCAA 650+ list. The rest is just garbage being promoted by folks who in all likelihood roid up. Just hit the gym and eat enough quality food. Studies have shown that you need .75 grams of protein per pound of body weight for optimal muscle gain. So Will needs about 150 grams of protein. If he eats 5,000 calories a day, he can easily hit that number from food sources.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n298633 said:
Originally posted by GatorTAG View Post
Doesn't matter what he took. It was a banned substance and he's admitted that he took it and he has to deal with the consequences. He won't get it reduced. So, see you next year Will.

So you agree that smoking pot gets you a one game suspension and this gets you a year? I think its pretty silly. If he were juicing and injecting steroids, I would agree. If he had a track record then maybe. Just to be clear I agree he did wrong and deserves some kind of punishment just not one this harsh.

I said the same thing. A rule is a rule and he broke it. But in the context of the suspensions I dont think the punishment fits especially as stated with smoking pot. I've always said the NCAA is consistently inconsistent. Here is just another example of it. A lesser of a suspension for taking an illegal drug vs. an OTC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gingerlover;n298665 said:
My guess is that all the secrecy is the lawyers telling him to shut up.
Which is exactly why Will's daddy should STFU.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
In his defense, reports are circulating Will took "PEDs" which to most means steroids. I think Chad's doing a good job of clearing the air, explaining the fact this is some OTC product purchased at GNC and not some Lance Armstrong cocktail injected into his a$$ like some bad college football movie from the 90's.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n298687 said:
Which is exactly why Will's daddy should STFU.

WTF is wrong with the guy wanting to defend his son and the truth, assuming it is the truth? It's his kid. I'd do the exact same thing if I were in his shoes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
78, it's basic strategy to respond to something like this. The last thing you want is the story in the news. Let it go away and negotiate behind closed doors.

You can see just from the responses here, even a guy who is sexually involved with Grier (not that Grier knows about it) like Matt doesn't believe it. There is zero to gain. Shut your pie hole and coach your own team.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n298701 said:
78, it's basic strategy to respond to something like this. The last thing you want is the story in the news. Let it go away and negotiate behind closed doors.

You can see just from the responses here, even a guy who is sexually involved with Grier (not that Grier knows about it) like Matt doesn't believe it. There is zero to gain. Shut your pie hole and coach your own team.

I wasn't inclined to believe it either, but I've come around in my thinking. I do think it could have been a spontaneous mistake. I see no harm in the father coming out the way he has. It's not going to have any impact on the NCAA either way, but it could impact the public's view of the kid and I think that's important.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n298704]

I wasn't inclined to believe it either, but I've come around in my thinking. I do think it could have been a spontaneous mistake. I see no harm in the father coming out the way he has. It's not going to have any impact on the NCAA either way, but it could impact the public's view of the kid and I think that's important. [/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. If what his father says is true I'd broadcast it over and over and over....The NCAA will get pressure from e-mails, phone calls and media that could help sway this in Griers favor. IMO this should carry no more than a 2 or 3 game suspension and I wouldn't be shocked to see it reduced to the end of the season at the minimum......

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n298696]

WTF is wrong with the guy wanting to defend his son and the truth, assuming it is the truth? It's his kid. I'd do the exact same thing if I were in his shoes.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. It's tough to ask a father not to defend his son from the kind of scrutiny and vitriol he's been subject to.

However, I also agree with the contingent who say his dad just needs to chill out and let the appeal process happen. There will be a time to give the full story, but right now might not be the best time.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With all the speculation and the no comment from Will makes it quite interesting. I can see where both sides can benefit the situation. Hopefully Chad will not give them anything inflammatory. But with an appeal in place there could be something good come from it. If it was an open-shut case would there be no appeal??

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just saw an article with the headline "Florida feels good about the Grier appeal", or something similar. Wouldn't something like that kinda tick the NCAA off? This kind of stuff needs to stop until the appeal process is done...:facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n298704] but it could impact the public's view of the kid and I think that's important. [/QUOTE]
It does. It impacts it negatively. Most people aren't going to listen anyway. Who wouldn't expect a parent to lie for his kid? It just keeps it in the headline. Moreoever there is a serious risk of big mouth saying something different than what our attorneys are saying.

After the appeal is over, you deal with public opinion... which really isn't that public. The public doesn't care. College football fans will and most of them root for other teams and aren't going to listen anyway.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n298727 said:
I just saw an article with the headline "Florida feels good about the Grier appeal", or something similar. Wouldn't something like that kinda tick the NCAA off? This kind of stuff needs to stop until the appeal process is done...:facepalm:

That article began as a message board joke and grew legs to a headline on some obscure site like SDS or something similar.

You can't prevent interwebs bull $hit, Nav.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n298729 said:
It does. It impacts it negatively. Most people aren't going to listen anyway. Who wouldn't expect a parent to lie for his kid? It just keeps it in the headline. Moreoever there is a serious risk of big mouth saying something different than what our attorneys are saying.

After the appeal is over, you deal with public opinion... which really isn't that public. The public doesn't care. College football fans will and most of them root for other teams and aren't going to listen anyway.

There we are in agreement, but if what he said is truthful, the mistake was simple, not egregious and forgivable outside the scope of the rules. I'm confident, too, that he and the Florida staff had already spoken by the time this interview took place. Chad Grier doesn't strike me as a popoff kind of guy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n298742] Chad Grier doesn't strike me as a popoff kind of guy.
[/QUOTE]
He has popped off about everything. Treon running with the 1s. Treon starting. Driskel getting hurt. Coaching issues. He's constantly popping off and putting himself in the news.
As for it being an OTC bought from a nutrition store, we ALREADY leaked that. It was all out there. We got this. We don't need twitterwhores from NC jumping in and effin it up.

As for it being a mistake, of course I believe it was anything but a minor mistake. If I wasn't clear about that, my apologies.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, if Will can play from the opening campaign next Fall, I will consider him/us fortunate when dealing with the college gestapo.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Chad Grier wouldn’t confirm what supplement his son took, but said this: “You can walk in the store and buy what he took yourself. For guys that train hard, it’s a common thing. He buys supplements just like a lot of his teammates do and he had a reward card and he had some extra points and the guy helping him said, ‘Hey wanna get something else for your points?’

Comments like that aren't terribly helpful.

“Will said, ‘I’m trying to add weight and size,’ and the guy said, ‘Try this, it works great.’ Will took it for two weeks and threw it away because he didn’t get anything out of it.”

So much wrong with this. You just do what some GNC store idiot tells you do on faith, in spite of what your coaches and staff repeatedly tell you? Then you do it for two weeks, then quit? From the little bit I've heard of these things, they take time to have an impact. Not likely you will see a material change in 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator