Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I didn’t compare Napier with Meyer in claiming they’re equal. Nor have I said he’s the next great one. What I have said is that there are more similarities to someone like Meyer than Muschamp, and dismissed the overly critical views of a rivalry game being close. You responded the names I mentioned hadn’t done that. I provided a host of examples and now I guess I’m changing the subject. Ok. You need a refill.

What do you expect from spectrum boy? Always autistic but never in doubt.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I didn’t compare Napier with Meyer in claiming they’re equal. Nor have I said he’s the next great one. What I have said is that there are more similarities to someone like Meyer than Muschamp, and dismissed the overly critical views of a rivalry game being close. You responded the names I mentioned hadn’t done that. I provided a host of examples and now I guess I’m changing the subject. Ok. You need a refill.
True, but he compares more to McElwain than Meyer, also.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So you're saying Naps isn't the guy either then? Obviously we don't want to be like the examples u mentioned above right?

Yes. And since all have at one point been mentioned as possibilities, or hopefuls, here, and clearly none of them fit the criteria, the prudent thing is to probably just shut down the football program all together.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
True, but he compares more to McElwain than Meyer, also.

He really doesn’t, but sure. McElwain had won 10 games exactly once, and had a losing season(4-8) in 3 tries.

Napier has won 10,11 and 11(maybe 12), and has never had a losing season in 4 tries.

One is considered a recruiter with an emphasis on that area, while the other had serious question marks there from even his biggest supporters like McElroy.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Well, you guys are free to believe whatever you want. I've looked at his body of work and I've watched some of his games and listened to him and I just don't see the next Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer. It is at best an underwhelming hire and seems right out of the Chump/Butters/Mullinz playbook or trying to find some diamond in the rough. How's that worked out for us? I see no point in talking myself into anything otherwise just to feel good about it. I guess we'll (unfortunately) find out. I hope I'm wrong and if so I'll be here to eat crow.
So what made Spurrier and Meyer the way they were before coming here and why do you not see it in Napier?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

So Napier says nothing is decided yet and now this quote from Riley, along with news Aranda is sticking with Baylor.

If this Riley quote is genuine, the doubt and hand wringing over Napier’s qualities is going to turn into epileptic seizures when Billy goes to LSU and we slide all the way down to Campbell or Stoops.

pundits like Doering and Dooley will look foolish for asserting Napier was in the bag if the Riley quote isn’t a troll.

the systematic destruction of our program started by Foley and completed by Stricklin and Mullen is total.

we’re going to get the finger from LSU’s third choice and have zero desirability as a destination in the eyes of anything other than middling turds. We won’t be relevant for twenty years. If ever.

my gut tells me Napier is not going to UF. He wants LSU and VT to shoot their shots, and there are no half decent prospects waiting in the wings.

someone is going to be left off this carousel and it very well might be our shipwrecked azzes….

I hope I turn out to be wrong. And if we do hire Napier I hope he ends up dispelling the doubts people have about him.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So what made Spurrier and Meyer the way they were before coming here and why do you not see it in Napier?

Well factually Spurrier and Meyer had won at multiple places:

1. Spurrier won in the USFL and at Duke sharing an ACC title.

2. Meyer had won at BGSU and Utah

while Napier has only won at one schoool. Then again Stoops has only won at one school so who know.

Still if you go back far enough in time, UF hired two out of the prior three year SEC championship winning coach former UF QB Doug Dickey and that did not work out. He too only had won at one place. Maybe the UF situation is unique enough that you need to find someone flexible enough to have won at different places?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If Napier picks LSU I have no idea what UF would do. Yikes. It would be a disaster.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Lsu may take another swing at Aranda if Riley turns them down. All the reports said Aranda is expected to sign an extension in the next 2 weeks, not that he’s already signed one. Stricklin will look really stupid for the second consecutive coaching search if he doesn’t land Karl.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So chatter went from hating the hire to afraid we will lose him to LSU?
LSU wasn't expected to hire him. However, if they keep striking out he's going to be next on their list.

I've heard both ways that Napier prefers LSU to UF, and vice versa. He's going to one of those two schools, I'm sure of that.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
2228.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.