Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
My brother in law is a ND alum, and he’s through the roof livid. He raised points a lot of people forget:

Remember when some kid died when Kelly kept him on the scaffolding to film practice during heavy wind?

Kelly’s had a losing season and a string of bad seasons. ND was not good for a decent stretch.

In his 1st few years, Kelly had a Bobby Knight attitude that doesn’t fly today.

Through all this ND stayed loyal and gave him multiple raises

Now, ND is a potential playoff team and he just skips town. LSU can keep him, they just got Bobby Petrino sans motorcycles and side-pieces.

Character counts, eventually a snake will bite you.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
To me, only proven, ridiculously safe multi-title winning coaches would ever be worthy of $15+ million a year - Saban and Meyer, that's it. I would have to think that these salaries, which are only the tip of the iceberg on the total football budget (countless millions more for staff, etc.), could definitely cause problems down the line when the big donors finally say STOP. There is not an endless pool of money.

UF is getting criticized by some of you for not doing what LSU did, spending whatever it takes to get a "top" coach. Can you really tell me they did better than us? Can you really tell me what they did was smarter than us?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The current admin is not going to hand out a $100 million contract to any one coach. Period. That's just the way it is.

Again, my point... as Foley said we aren't getting into an arms race... now we have been passed by. We are one of 8 universities that have pulled a profit in the athletic department on average for over the last two decades. But we aren't willing to get into the game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My brother in law is a ND alum, and he’s through the roof livid. He raised points a lot of people forget:

Remember when some kid died when Kelly kept him on the scaffolding to film practice during heavy wind?

Kelly’s had a losing season and a string of bad seasons. ND was not good for a decent stretch.

In his 1st few years, Kelly had a Bobby Knight attitude that doesn’t fly today.

Through all this ND stayed loyal and gave him multiple raises

Now, ND is a potential playoff team and he just skips town. LSU can keep him, they just got Bobby Petrino sans motorcycles and side-pieces.

Character counts, eventually a snake will bite you.
Sounds like your brother in law should be happy that he's finally gone, not livid. Is he mentally ill?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Again, my point... as Foley said we aren't getting into an arms race... now we have been passed by. We are one of 8 universities that have pulled a profit in the athletic department on average for over the last two decades. But we aren't willing to get into the game.
See the post I already made. Just because you have the money doesn't mean it's SMART to blow it all on mediocre coaches. You go all in for Meyer's and Saban's, not Riley's and Kelly's.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To me, only proven, ridiculously safe multi-title winning coaches would ever be worthy of $15+ million a year - Saban and Meyer, that's it. I would have to think that these salaries, which are only the tip of the iceberg on the total football budget (countless millions more for staff, etc.), could definitely cause problems down the line when the big donors finally say STOP. There is not an endless pool of money.

UF is getting criticized by some of you for not doing what LSU did, spending whatever it takes to get a "top" coach. Can you really tell me they did better than us? Can you really tell me what they did was smarter than us?

You look at it as a one off in this situation, but it's not... it's a continued state of existence. We are almost two decades behind in facilities... It's not about this individual coaching hire, it's about a continued exists of always going cheap and being behind. I don't think Kelly is special, solid not special. Riley has the potential, but we will see. But instead of getting someone that at least has proven to be a guy either who can get to the playoffs, or consistently win Championships. We got a guy, who might have a high ceiling, but also a low floor. We choose not to compete when there were obvious and now verified P5 coaches with success on the market. The problem isn't the Napier hire, it's the culture.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017

No but money is ruining college football.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Sounds like your brother in law should be happy that he's finally gone, not livid. Is he mentally ill?
He was sane til he joined my family. We have that effect on people.

He was content with being in contention every year even if they couldn’t get over the hump.

It’s like getting dumped by the girl you were about to dump. The relationship is over, but I’m the one that says it’s over, not you.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Once the costs go up, they aren't going to go down. We either decide we are going to play, or become a baseball school
I was watching ESPN last night and they were discussing collective bargaining for players and that schools were going to have to start paying them when the NCAA steps away from governing the rules. Which they are in the process of doing. Now this is just me but I am not interested in colleges becoming professional sports. Given the recent rule changes we now have college players who are in essence free agents because of the new transfer portal rules this was done in advance of collective bargaining. I love college football but this is getting out of hand.

The Next Frontier in College Sports: Unionization

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was watching ESPN last night and they were discussing collective bargaining for players and that schools were going to have to start paying them when the NCAA steps away from governing the rules. Which they are in the process of doing. Now this is just me but I am not interested in colleges becoming professional sports. Given the recent rule changes we now have college players who are in essence free agents because of the new transfer portal rules this was done in advance of collective bargaining. I love college football but this is getting out of hand.

It's not going back, it's has been the D-league for the NFL for so long, that it was just a matter of time. The Ed O'Bannon lawsuit was the right thing to do, but it exposed way too much in the process. The NCAA and the universities who could have gotten in front of this issue decades ago, choose not to, and now it's going to get stupid.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
It's not going back, it's has been the D-league for the NFL for so long, that it was just a matter of time. The Ed O'Bannon lawsuit was the right thing to do, but it exposed way too much in the process. The NCAA and the universities who could have gotten in front of this issue decades ago, choose not to, and now it's going to get stupid.
100%

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
The ncaa did this to themselves by being to strict and rigid with rules for amateurs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The ncaa did this to themselves by being to strict and rigid with rules for amateurs.

I agree, again they allowed this to happen when they decided to have poor leadership and not be forward thinking. The writing has been on the wall for decades.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You look at it as a one off in this situation, but it's not... it's a continued state of existence. We are almost two decades behind in facilities... .
Way more than that.

When your staff is 1/3 a Sunbelt.staff, that says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.