Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Brett_McMurphy: Brian Kelly’s 1st game w/LSU will be vs. Florida State Sunday Sept. 4 in New Orleans SuperDome. Tigers also have home games vs. Alabama, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Mississippi State & UAB and road games at Texas A&M, Arkansas, Florida & Auburn

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That LSU intro presser for Kelly should be a laugh riiot watching him trying to understand those local reporters asking questions in their cajun accent.....which brings me to my first feeling of smugness because our guy would have not trouble at all....

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You look at it as a one off in this situation, but it's not... it's a continued state of existence. We are almost two decades behind in facilities... It's not about this individual coaching hire, it's about a continued exists of always going cheap and being behind. I don't think Kelly is special, solid not special. Riley has the potential, but we will see. But instead of getting someone that at least has proven to be a guy either who can get to the playoffs, or consistently win Championships. We got a guy, who might have a high ceiling, but also a low floor. We choose not to compete when there were obvious and now verified P5 coaches with success on the market. The problem isn't the Napier hire, it's the culture.
What does the UF program lack aside from a completed stand alone football facility?

Who would you have rather hired than Napier? I do not see a coach that can immediately stand up to the machine georgia built. I am glad we will see Saban out in a couple of seasons, and that they look beatable. I am glad that we will be facing the new guy at LSU. I am glad we will be facing NOrvell at fsu. But Napier has as good a chance as any coach to build something that will compete with georgia. The amount of talent leaving the state has to slow. With luck we hired a guy that within two years will keep all we need in-state and committed to UF.

Everything we want to see happen depends on Napier's staff. I hope UF gives him the money to attract the best but that Napier does not pull a Mullen and retain junk.

True or false, right or wrong, the problem with coaching hires and pay are that it is not based on performance. There is a bubble forming. Every win drive new revenue, every loss when there are many reduce revenue. I do not see why coaches and staffs are not seeing healthy salaries but incentives for wins and recruiting. But I guess that is not attractive when other schools are just vomiting money and guarantees.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
All these job openings and Mullen can't even get a mention :snicker:
There are still those that do not see just how much of a failure he was. Athletic Departments do. He gave up. He wanted to leave a top job when he was being treated very well. The rumors that he did not have admin support are not substantiated and what resources were not available that his misdirected staff would have used effectively?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What does the UF program lack aside from a completed stand alone football facility?

Who would you have rather hired than Napier? I do not see a coach that can immediately stand up to the machine georgia built. I am glad we will see Saban out in a couple of seasons, and that they look beatable. I am glad that we will be facing the new guy at LSU. I am glad we will be facing NorveLLLL at fsu. But Napier has as good a chance as any coach to build something that will compete with georgia. The amount of talent leaving the state has to slow. With luck we hired a guy that within two years will keep all we need in-state and committed to UF.

Everything we want to see happen depends on Napier's staff. I hope UF gives him the money to attract the best but that Napier does not pull a Mullen and retain junk.

True or false, right or wrong, the problem with coaching hires and pay are that it is not based on performance. There is a bubble forming. Every win drive new revenue, every loss when there are many reduce revenue. I do not see why coaches and staffs are not seeing healthy salaries but incentives for wins and recruiting. But I guess that is not attractive when other schools are just vomiting money and guarantees.

So basically, you don't know about the history of how far we are behind, nor our history of not competing (Mrs Stricklin is that you?)... the rest of this post has nothing to do with what I said....

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
All the people pining for someone like Kelley have lost their damned minds. I follow ND a bit because my brother in law is a huge ND dork even though he’s never set foot on a college campus. But Catholic.

Notre Dame has been the embodiment of the struggle bus even in years when they made the playoffs. Beating crap teams and getting lucky against a few blue blood schools that are down on their luck. It’s quite possibly the easiest path to the playoffs, even easier than the ACC. He gets pummeled anytime they get around a hardened, battle tested SEC team.

LSU was desperate.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
All the people pining for someone like Kelley have lost their damned minds. I follow ND a bit because my brother in law is a huge ND dork even though he’s never set foot on a college campus. But Catholic.

Notre Dame has been the embodiment of the struggle bus even in years when they made the playoffs. Beating crap teams and getting lucky against a few blue blood schools that are down on their luck. It’s quite possibly the easiest path to the playoffs, even easier than the ACC. He gets pummeled anytime they get around a hardened, battle tested SEC team.

LSU was desperate.
So, NOT Rudy?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This says it all.
Even Gator FANatics arent aware of how terrible our staff and facilities are.
That says it all. I think our staff is miserable. But what do we lack in facilities? We have an indoor practice facility and a stand alone football facility. To my knowledge we do not supply cars and hookers so there is some room to improve.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
UF was late to the game with our facility upgrade, the recruits are not going to care about that as much when they start getting compensated. It's going to be all about "what we gettin paid"

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That says it all. I think our staff is miserable. But what do we lack in facilities? We have an indoor practice facility and a stand alone football facility. To my knowledge we do not supply cars and hookers so there is some room to improve.
These kids live in the same dorms I did….that was 20 years ago

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@USCanalytics
· 20h
“On Saturday night… LSU had a catering company all ready for an announcement on Sunday afternoon. They were going to announce their coach, and it was going to be Lincoln, and Lincoln bailed on them and went to USC.” - @mlombardiNFL

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@USCanalytics
· 20h
“On Saturday night… LSU had a catering company all ready for an announcement on Sunday afternoon. They were going to announce their coach, and it was going to be Lincoln, and Lincoln bailed on them and went to USC.” - @mlombardiNFL

That is the thing that is going to hurt Riley the most... don't fuch over major programs AD's.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@PeteSampson_: Source: LSU head coach Brian Kelly reached out to Notre Dame defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman on Monday in an effort to bring him to Baton Rouge. Kelly would intend to make Freeman the highest paid defensive coordinator in college football.

RivalFlorida

We got weights in fish!
Aug 30, 2018
@USCanalytics
· 20h

Not quite a lane kiffin in the middle of the night move, but damn close. So Linc screwed over OU and LSU. He really wanted to leave OU. Rather pleased he screwed over LSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator