Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think we know something rather soon. Why else would SS pull the plug now instead of after FSU. He must have a favorite or two fairly deep sown the process.
He really didn’t have a choice on firing him. Was probably told do it or else…

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So what happens when Stoops walks into the building and says well it sure does not look like much has changed. then Stoops looks up and says that the ceiling looks a little different, is it new? Only to be told no Bob it is not new, it only looks different b/c the ceiling tiles have fallen out and have not been replaced b/c the supply chain issues have slowed the delivery of styrofoam.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Bob Stoops would interest me, in terms of recruiting and actually building a strong program from the ground up.

Honestly all the rest of them seem like the same guy. I don’t particularly like any of the candidates.

Ok. You guys were right on Mullen so curious your thoughts. I feel like Bob been away for too long but interesting...How do you feel about Napier? I wasn’t really paying attention when corndogs were discussing (even though he is in their backyard) but would we be ok with this hire?

I dont know much about him other than saban tied.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
He's just always seemed slimy. I'm gonna give whoever we hire a chance to change my mind like always if I don't like them at first. Whoever we hire, that bastard better be able to recruit though, and keep some of the studs from leaving the state.
He's been humbled and matured since USC. But he's still got the brashness. He has a chip on his shoulder now and would love to out recruit bama and Georgia.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My single biggest request is that we don’t acquire the “this is the current landscape” mindset. Yes, I get that recruiting is huge. Yes, I get that offense is key. But we have to be proactive and avoid being reactive. At UF, whenever we’ve had great success it’s in bucking the current trend not going along with it. Spurrier wasn’t supposed to be able to throw the ball all over the yard. Meyer wasn’t supposed to be able to win with the spread option. Yet both did. In contrast, WM was a knee jerk response to then’09 SECCG. McElwain was a borrowed assistant from another’s tree. And Mullen was a response to years of poor offense.

Again, Florida has always had its own identity. As long as we hire a true winner, that isn’t trying to mimic some other program and truly embraces who we are and what we have, I think we will be fine.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I think we will see a candidate that none of us expects. Kinda like the Muschamp hire, hopefully much better outcome. I have a feeling it's possible that it could be a former player or even coach.

Last edited:

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
So: yes for

Matt Campbell
Bob Stoops
Dave Aranda
Joe Brady
Cristobal
Fickell

No for:

Mark Stoops
Vance Joseph
Lane Train
Tom Herman

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Damn you. Now my wife is asking me what I am laughing at.

Sh only takes it 1 way once a month. Next month is my turn.
I've been meaning to talk to you about that. She had to bump you to early next year and move me up to December because of a scheduling conflict. She said she'd make it up to you by cooking pot roast this week.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Bob Stoops would interest me, in terms of recruiting and actually building a strong program from the ground up.

Honestly all the rest of them seem like the same guy. I don’t particularly like any of the candidates.
I just don’t see Bob having any juice.

That horse has gone to pasture.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I've been meaning to talk to you about that. She had to bump you to early next year and move me up to December because of a scheduling conflict. She said she'd make it up to you by cooking pot roast this week.

Glad you brought this up because she told me to let you know that you are getting bumped to next year and Im getting December. Also, could you let bush know that he is now February?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So: yes for

Matt Campbell
Bob Stoops
Dave Aranda
Joe Brady
Cristobal
Fickell

No for:

Mark Stoops
Vance Joseph
Lane Train
Tom Herman

Cambell is a hard pass. Anyone recommending him is obviously either related or staring down a disastrous Monday morning.

I’d take Herman all day over most on that list outside of Cristobal, Lane and Brady.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
All of this goes to show you that offense wins championships and has for decades.
FEv0JCLXoAIYwhc

Nice post and thanks for the information. However it still hides that Napier is 91st in passing so far this year and was 81st in passing last year while Kiffen is 21st and was 8th last year. This fan base is not the fan base for a run first guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.