Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Can’t fight it. No matter how hard I want to think to the contrary, Stricklin has his sights set on Napier. It’s a matter of ironing out the contract details at this point. We’ll probably have an introductory presser on Monday. He’s the guy.

I’ll get behind him and hope he succeeds in a big way. Everyone else should, too. We all have a vested interest. We’ve waited a long time for a return to championship-level football. We’re due.

Let’s go do it.
Don't you tell me what I should do, GFY
2p3k8s.jpg

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Twitter rumor but it was allegedly the demands last year too.

Given that Stricklin actually mentioned it in the firing ceremony of Cousin Eddy, it makes some sense.

I suspect we are going to have speedbumps ahead though. They last time they "improved the staff" they hired one single recruiting staffer.
How much of that is on Mullen's lazy ass? The more infrastructure, ie people that made contact with recruits, the more the staff would have to entertain, court and contact. So were the funds not available to hire a support staff of were they but Mullen did not want to build a competent machine like georgia and alabama? If Stricklin mentioned it was he not suggesting that Mullen dropped the ball?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree but Stricklin is feeling the heat. Hell the water is at a full boil. Maybe he thinks this is the way to save his stupid ass.

He’s really rolling the dice by appearing to lock in on one guy rather than take an extra week and vet the field. It’s not like Napier’s going to automatically fly the coup. He wants Florida every bit as much as Florida wants him.

An ignorant AD playing scared is not necessarily a good thing.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm hard pressed to believe that this admin will do much more than talk a big game.
What exactly have they followed through with thus far? All of a sudden they are going to show some great commitment to football that they haven't for the last decade? I don't buy it.
What have they not followed through on? We build indoor facility. We are building a stand alone football facility, hopefully both were reasonably well planned, although I don't think the pool at the stand alone makes sense unless the players get to stock it with bikini maidens and kegs.

It seems true that Foley was using football to fund the expansion and success of other sports but he has been gone for years. We pay middle of the road assistant salaries. The only area I can think of that has not been addressed is the back of house assistant/recruiting coordination/analyst part of the organization. It seems from what is posted that the few Mullen did keep around were incompetent career organizational bureaucrats that affected nothing. F--ing Mullen!

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Can’t fight it. No matter how hard I want to think to the contrary, Stricklin has his sights set on Napier. It’s a matter of ironing out the contract details at this point. We’ll probably have an introductory presser on Monday. He’s the guy.
If Stricklin was all-in on Napier it would be a bad look. That would give he and his agency the opportunity to call all the shots.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Stricklin was all-in on Napier it would be a bad look. That would give he and his agency the opportunity to call all the shots.

You’d know if there was another serious candidate out there. There’s been zero indication of it happening. Stoops denied interest, but that was only after fielding an obligatory question on TV.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You’d know if there was another serious candidate out there. There’s been zero indication of it happening. Stoops denied interest, but that was only after fielding an obligatory question on TV.
How would we know? Mullen was a surprise.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
how long has that bin going on now?
It goes without saying we are late but not as late as fsu or scUM. But we had Foley who would view the facilities thing as taking football revenue allocated for other sports. What kind of person diverts money from the source to those that produce nothing? Oh, nevermind.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How would we know? Mullen was a surprise.

Can we know absolutely for sure? No. Can we safely project that it would be highly unlikely that Stricklin could navigate through back channels over a period of days without anyone knowing? Yes we can.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
There is really no reading defenses in Mullinz offense. It's is one or two reads presnap, then basically the ball goes to one receiver, or the other. It is middle school football which is why it is 50-100th almost every single year. Statistically this year is actually his 4th best.
I can't recall every play in a game but why was mullen making AR throw over the middle into coverage against an NFL secondary? It's like he hoped AR would fail only to cover his own selfish instincts. What kind of a bum does that? Anyone that paints Mullen as a "stand up guy" can KMA.

Mullen was money with Trask when he finally gave in and had no other choice. But Trask was a great QB as it turned out. Mullen is a good OC with great talent and when that is his only job. He cannot be a HC and OC.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TL;DR - maybe maybe not.

@FootballScoop: On Lincoln Riley and LSU On Lincoln Riley and LSU

I’ve come around to thinking LSU will ink Riley. I’ll bet I’m not alone. I mean, he’s going to end up in the SEC anyway and the money offer is incredible. He’d be foolish not to take it.

That said, all the more reason for Stricklin to have acted more methodical. It’s Florida, Virginia Tech and Arizona State vying for Napier. Guess who comes out on top there?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LSU showing it will stop at nothing to get its guy and unafraid of the consequences. You gotta love that attitude. It’s old-school refreshing.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve come around to thinking LSU will ink Riley. I’ll bet I’m not alone. I mean, he’s going to end up in the SEC anyway and the money offer is incredible. He’d be foolish not to take it.

That said, all the more reason for Stricklin to have acted more methodical. It’s Florida, Virginia Tech and Arizona State vying for Napier. Guess who comes out on top there?
NGL, it does make me wonder why they didn't go after an established big fish vs the hot new fish. But it is what it is at this point.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is there anything serious that suggests that this is actually the case, or is this just twitter rumor?

there was an interview with someone on his recruiting staff, who was a student assistant at Bama. He said they had a system similar to Bama and no one else in their conference had anything resembling it. So, I’m not the least bit surprised that he’s requiring the commitment....in writing

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.