Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BruceFeldmanCFB: Ohio State OC Kevin Wilson is someone Akron has some interest in and may push to see if he really wants the Zips head coaching vacancy, sources tell me and @AkronJackson.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m more worried about getting the best coach we can get, not the best coach we can’t.

Napier and Cristobal are probably the two best we can get. If Napier can get all the support staff to compete on the trail, then fine. If Cristobal can get the same staff considerations, then fine on him too.

I honestly don’t care if we got Stoops. He’d be an upgrade over Mullen and would probably get booted in 6 years and leave us in a better place. But if I were Stoops, I’d stay at UK.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I’ve come around to thinking LSU will ink Riley. I’ll bet I’m not alone. I mean, he’s going to end up in the SEC anyway and the money offer is incredible. He’d be foolish not to take it.

That said, all the more reason for Stricklin to have acted more methodical. It’s Florida, Virginia Tech and Arizona State vying for Napier. Guess who comes out on top there?
Depends on what Oklahoma counters with and if their relationship is strong, I would think. Does he want to leave, is he looking, is he unhappy, are fans and boosters unhappy? If Oklahoma comes close would he stay? Is Oklahoma unable or unwilling to pay close to what LSU offers?

I could see Napier opting for Va Tech if the money is good, fwiw. I think he is ready to be a HC at that level. Less pressure.

LSU showing it will stop at nothing to get its guy and unafraid of the consequences. You gotta love that attitude. It’s old-school refreshing.
Once the ink dries they own the coach. Is A&M happy with Jimbo? I would think fans and boosters are not. Someone posted Jimbo's record is the same as Mullens in four years and that is with Jimbo recruiting top 8 classes on average since 2018. Not good. It seems like these schools would be more cautious but I guess with all the money available ADs and boosters get drunk with pride. I don't know. The difference between a Jimbo and Smart, who are both recruiting well, is that Smart has been close, losing a single key game in a season, usually the SECCG or in the play off. Last year was promising for A&M but they fell back to earth this season with four SEC losses.

LSU may get Riley but they better be ready to pay up if after four or five seasons they do not see a champion.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Hell no absolutely not to Stoops unless Bob is involved. Unless you love 3 yd runs and 2 yd dump off passes all game that can't score much against good teams

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No but...but...but...Napier?

Ironically, Texas A&M's athletic director at the time was Scott Woodward, who now holds the same role at LSU and is leading the search.

And O made more per year

Thanks Captain Obvious. Anyone who doesn't know that Woodward was at A&M and hired Jimbo there simply doesn't follow college football very closely.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Thanks Captain Obvious. Anyone who doesn't know that Woodward was at A&M and hired Jimbo there simply doesn't follow college football very closely.

Dude...LSU was talking Jimbo before O was gone.

Some on here still think they want Napier...they don't

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.