Help Napier pick the next OC

Who should be the next Offensive Coordinator for the Gators?

• Joe Brady

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • Steve Spurrier Jr.

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • Scott Frost

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Jeff Scott

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Other

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Kerwin Bell

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Ben Arbuckle

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Warren Ruggiero

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
UGA is making KY Jelly the 2-dolla ho that they are. Thanks for mailing in that game, Karl

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Brady seems the obvious 1st choice if he’s available. Frost ran a high octane attack at UCF that thrived with McKensie Milton but wasn’t so great without him. Still, he’s got a ton of experience.

Love Kerwin but I expect he likes being in charge and doubt he’d embrace the intense recruiting responsibilities. The guy can coach.

The ‘other’ that crossed my mind this morning was Shane. He knows his stuff but that would be a huge jump. Just a thought.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Brady hasn't done shcit. He had one year at LSU with the most loaded offense I'd ever seen and he wasn't even the OC. He then went on to the panthers only to be fired rather quickly. I don't see why you guys are still obsessed. We don't even know what a joe Brady offense even looks like. And seriously, Steve spurrier jr?

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Charlie Weis Jr. tops the list for me. Throw big money at him, and Gator nation will be very happy.

He’s young, but people in football have crazy respect for him. He’s rubbed shoulders with the right people, including Kiffin, Sarkisian, his dad. Weis is the grand slam hire from a potential/scheme continuity standpoint.

Last edited:

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
I'm telling you guys if it ain't Billy retaining the title it will be Jeff Scott.

He’s never coached QB’s, though. Joe Brady is at least getting experience coaching QBs and also has Russ Calloway on staff who has worked with him before.

If not Charlie Weis Jr, then I’d like to see this:

Brady as QB/co-OC - Passing Game Coordinator
Sale OL/co-OC Running Game Coordinator

Brady calls all of the plays, but we keep the same run scheme, which has been very effective at UL and UF last year.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Brady hasn't done shcit. He had one year at LSU with the most loaded offense I'd ever seen and he wasn't even the OC. He then went on to the panthers only to be fired rather quickly. I don't see why you guys are still obsessed. We don't even know what a joe Brady offense even looks like. And seriously, Steve spurrier jr?

He was fired because Matt Rhule wanted him to the run the ball more. What Florida needs is an upgrade in the passing scheme and the play calling. The run scheme is pretty solid. Put Billy’s run scheme together with Brady’s passing scheme and the offense could be pretty good.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to make one guess, that whoever Napier names to call plays (if he even does) will share a similar philosophy and underwhelm most of us.

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
Joe Brady with Lagway next year would be an incredible pairing, plus he's a big time passing guy and would pair really nicely with Napier's run play calling. That zone run design would be lethal in coordination with a passing game that can force defenses to keep the box light. Maybe you make Brady the primary play caller deciding run vs pass and calling pass plays, but handing runs off to Billy to keep him involved and happy.

Stricklin needs to realize his job is at stake here and get involved in making a new OC happen and ensuring Napier hands off what he needs to to be effective. It's pretty clear Billy thinks his job is completely safe, and he needs to have a little heat applied if we want to see a change.

If we want someone like Joe Brady and we want him to stick around, we need to give him boatloads of cash but attach a large buyout for anyone hiring him away (not for us firing him, just for other teams poaching). Make him the highest paid coordinator in college football but make anyone else taking him from us pay tens of millions to us to do it. It's on Stricklin to negotiate a contract like that if he wants to stay AD.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Who’s your pick sir?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'm telling you guys if it ain't Billy retaining the title it will be Jeff Scott.

crushed noo GIF

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It would be the antithesis of Napier's conservative nature for him to hire a pass-happy coordinator. Not to mention you never want to hire someone who's the logical successor to you when you fall flat on your face.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It would be the antithesis of Napier's conservative nature for him to hire a pass-happy coordinator. Not to mention you never want to hire someone who's the logical successor to you when you fall flat on your face.

Russ Calloway promotion soon come

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Joe Brady with Lagway next year would be an incredible pairing, plus he's a big time passing guy and would pair really nicely with Napier's run play calling. That zone run design would be lethal in coordination with a passing game that can force defenses to keep the box light. Maybe you make Brady the primary play caller deciding run vs pass and calling pass plays, but handing runs off to Billy to keep him involved and happy.

Stricklin needs to realize his job is at stake here and get involved in making a new OC happen and ensuring Napier hands off what he needs to to be effective. It's pretty clear Billy thinks his job is completely safe, and he needs to have a little heat applied if we want to see a change.

If we want someone like Joe Brady and we want him to stick around, we need to give him boatloads of cash but attach a large buyout for anyone hiring him away (not for us firing him, just for other teams poaching). Make him the highest paid coordinator in college football but make anyone else taking him from us pay tens of millions to us to do it. It's on Stricklin to negotiate a contract like that if he wants to stay AD.

After watching a highlight reel of Lagway that began with seven straight swing passes, I'm convinced we could get by with ChatGPT as his play caller.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
I would not be surprised if Napier goes after a Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVey, Matt Lafleur, Mike McDaniel protege we know nothing about.

FWIW…it might not be a sexy hire that would energize the fan base, but it would align with Napier’s vision for the program. And before we dismiss that type of hire out of hand, that is the exact kind of hire that just dominated us in the Kentucky game. Kentucky’s OC came from the Rams.

Todd Monken came from the Browns and the Bucs.

LSU got Joe Brady from the Saints.

Napier could do well to pick an NFL guy with a lot of scheme similarity running the ball, but who is also 10x smarter than he is in playcalling.

I don’t know who the guy is, but I think he hypothetically exists. Napier just has to find him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.