Hockey player killed on the ice; perp arrested for manslaughter

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
That looks intentional to me as well. He is kinda grabbing another player in the back to give himself leverage. At least it appears that way. They are really moving and the video isn't that good. Could be he was just trying to stop and his leg flew up. Can't be sure.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I doubt he meant to kill. OTOH, doesn't look like the nicest guy- like all of us here on GChat. I see it as a defensive reaction that had a very bad result.

Imagine dying while just playing a fuchen hockey game. Geez, onsite EMT couldn't save the poor guy?

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Hockey is one weird sport anyway. I don't know if they still do this but every NHL team had some thug enforcer on it and they always stop the game for awhile to watch them fight. Never understood that.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I mean, that was a major penalty right? I know you can't go high with your stick. That was worse. Way worse. And to my knowledge it has never happened before in my lifetime. Got to look at tossing that maniac out of the league. Even if it wasn't a criminal act, it was reckless disregard.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Hockey is one weird sport anyway. I don't know if they still do this but every NHL team had some thug enforcer on it and they always stop the game for awhile to watch them fight. Never understood that.
I always enjoyed it, but never understood it either. Until I started playing hockey. It is a very physical game where a guy or guys from the other team are leaning on you and physically roughing you up the whole game. It wears on your good nature.

But the purpose of the DT (designated thug) is to stand up for the better players - his presents precludes most cheap shots on your more skilled players. Instant consequences for poor decisions.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I mean, that was a major penalty right? I know you can't go high with your stick. That was worse. Way worse. And to my knowledge it has never happened before in my lifetime. Got to look at tossing that maniac out of the league. Even if it wasn't a criminal act, it was reckless disregard.
It has happened twice in the NHL in your lifetime (assuming you are 50 years old - may not be true). Once to a goalie playing for Buffalo (not sure on the timing, but seems like it was in the late 80s) and once to a player for the Florida Panthers (early 2000s, I think - could look it up). Both received life saving care immediately from the team doctors. Minor league teams don't often have an actual doctor there - and handling a sliced artery is a pretty tricky thing to do.

Neither of these prior incidents looked remotely intentional. Not sure if this was, but it sure looks suspicious.

BTW, I had a player on a 7-year old player on a team I was coaching get cut by a skate blade right under his chin at a full check tournament in Boston. We had just come from a tournament in Toronto and in Canada at the time - all youth players were required to wear neck guards so our team just kept them on. To this day, his younger brother wears one (at his mom's insistence) playing for Colorado College.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
g14T96TI3Trn.jpeg

Meme Smiths weighing in hard. Nice shot on goal against the Mouse.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
England still uses the old common law system, which works against the guy in a criminal case since you can still be convicted of murder for something like this even without the intent to murder, if you intended the action.

You have the knowledge your skate is a bladed weapon, so if you can prove he intended to attack him with his skate then death is a foreseeable consequence.

Though I could see some judges trying to limit it.

But history of similar behavior is almost always admissible and especially since his reputation on the ice is far from spotless. Sports incidents are tough to make into criminal cases because assumption of contact is baked into most sports (and especially hockey since collisions are part and parcel of the game); but this seems to meet the egregious standard needed to merit charges. Don't think the guy meant to kill him, but he definitely was trying to hurt him based on how he launched his foot upwards to try and make contact with the guy.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
England still uses the old common law system, which works against the guy in a criminal case since you can still be convicted of murder for something like this even without the intent to murder, if you intended the action.

You have the knowledge your skate is a bladed weapon, so if you can prove he intended to attack him with his skate then death is a foreseeable consequence.

Though I could see some judges trying to limit it.

But history of similar behavior is almost always admissible and especially since his reputation on the ice is far from spotless. Sports incidents are tough to make into criminal cases because assumption of contact is baked into most sports (and especially hockey since collisions are part and parcel of the game); but this seems to meet the egregious standard needed to merit charges. Don't think the guy meant to kill him, but he definitely was trying to hurt him based on how he launched his foot upwards to try and make contact with the guy.
My cousin, who was a five-time world champion kickboxer, almost got 10 years for something like this. A guy took a swing at him at the dog track and my cousin hit him with a right that basically ripped his face open from his eyebrow down to his chin. The guy was unconscious and my cousin reported it to the police and fire rescue via 911. The prosecutor said that he should have known that he could have done that kind of damage, given his background. He was lucky to get off with restitution and probation.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My cousin, who was a five-time world champion kickboxer, almost got 10 years for something like this. A guy took a swing at him at the dog track and my cousin hit him with a right that basically ripped his face open from his eyebrow down to his chin. The guy was unconscious and my cousin reported it to the police and fire rescue via 911. The prosecutor said that he should have known that he could have done that kind of damage, given his background. He was lucky to get off with restitution and probation.
His punch would be a lethal weapon. He’s lucky he didn’t do time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.