Hockey player killed on the ice; perp arrested for manslaughter

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I agree 100 percent with your first sentence . This is a penalty , not a crime that should be prosecuted.
You think a guy who killed someone on the ice with an illegal move should be allowed to continue playing?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You think a guy who killed someone on the ice with an illegal move should be allowed to continue playing?
No . He should be suspended, not arrested and do time

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He deserves a lifetime ban but of course it won't happen because of the difficulty in nailing him down on intent. As someone who's played a lot of ice hockey, I can tell you the skate lift he did that led to the death was an impossibly unnatural move. In other words, he intended to maim.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He deserves a lifetime ban but of course it won't happen because of the difficulty in nailing him down on intent. As someone who's played a lot of ice hockey, I can tell you the skate lift he did that led to the death was an impossibly unnatural move. In other words, he intended to maim.
I don't think he intended to kill, but you're right, it was an unnatural move. He intended something, possibly just a block or throw the guy off course at the minimum. Perhaps he did intend to do some harm, but not kill, and simply got carried away in his movement.

I think the charge is right and he should certainly never be allowed to play hockey again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he intended to kill, but you're right, it was an unnatural move. He intended something, possibly just a block or throw the guy off course at the minimum. Perhaps he did intend to do some harm, but not kill, and simply got carried away in his movement.

I think the charge is right and he should certainly never be allowed to play hockey again.

Paybacks are a bytch. That dude is a marked man.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The rest of the season
I at least understand the argument against criminal prosecution, but I don't see how there's ANY argument against a lifetime ban from hockey. He literally killed a man on the ice with a dirty play. The rest of the season, really?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I at least understand the argument against criminal prosecution, but I don't see how there's ANY argument against a lifetime ban from hockey. He literally killed a man on the ice with a dirty play. The rest of the season, really?
I’ll need to take another look at the video to consider that conclusion. I don’t see it as much different than the dirty hit against Kyle Pitts. And that SOB didn’t even face a suspension. Dirty play should never be tolerated.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Just my thoughts… and there are two things here: 1) me with a “legal” hat on, and 2) what I think will happen (but that hinges entirely on UK law, which can be VERY different from our laws).

Some Definitions:
  • Accident: an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury. An event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.
  • Intentional: done on purpose; deliberate.
  • Negligence: failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another (that's the legal, not literal, definition).
  • Reasonable care: the degree of caution and concern for the safety of himself/herself and others an ordinarily prudent and rational person would use in the circumstances.
  • Involuntary Manslaughter (according to US Federal law anyway) - an unlawful killing of another without malice that occurs:
  • In commission of an unlawful act not amounting to a felony
  • In commission in an unlawful manner, or without due caution or circumspection of a lawful act, which might produce death
My thoughts…
  • The decision to slew his foot back at a player going around him was “intentional” (clearly done to break up the play, it’s not like he was falling and his foot went up), "illegal" (by rule, not law), and "negligent" (by law).
  • He did not use “reasonable care” regarding his skates.
  • This death was not an "accident," this death was involuntary manslaughter.
That said, getting a conviction will likely be a hard, hard sell. I still think McSorely and Bertuzzi got off easy legally speaking and their acts on the ice were blatantly intentional, both could very easily have resulted in death with heads hitting ice.

There have been several notable skate disasters in the NHL, but I think this is the first case anywhere that one resulted from an intentional act vs. “schit happens.”

What do I think should happen?
  1. legal punishment like McSorely/Bertuzzi (an assload of community service and probation).
  2. banned from play.
This is very similar to the mandatory “no helmet vs helmet” change that happened in our lifetime (most of our lifetime’s anyway), and I’m guessing we’ll start to see mandatory neck guards at least at the Juniors level and below if not just about universally.

ProTip #6294: Kids, keep your blades on the ice.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Petgrave raised his left leg to head height like a dog getting ready to mark his spot. I looked at the video probably 25 times. It was as deliberate as deliberate gets. There is no logical reason for a skater to lift his leg that high unless he's dodging the front end of a Hyundai or.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Petgrave raised his left leg to head height like a dog getting ready to mark his spot. I looked at the video probably 25 times. It was as deliberate as deliberate gets. There is no logical reason for a skater to lift his leg that high unless he's dodging the front end of a Hyundai or.
I don't disagree with you, but this is what I take from that grainy assed video:
  • He definitely slewed his leg back and up in order to interfere with the player with the puck, that's "illegal" (rules).
  • Only he knows if he intended for his leg to go up that high... good lawyers with a physicist and charts 'n **** will talk about velocity and weight and "lost balance and didn't intend for that to happen"
  • Doesn't change the fact that the slew was intentional that resulted in an unintentional death.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Slew footing is a penalty in every hockey league on the planet. Depending on the result of slew footing, it can be a minor or a major, and lead to other sanctions.

So in this case, it is intentional, and because of the outcome, whether it was intended or not, I think should definitely be manslaughter or some kind of reckless endangerment. In fact, I have NEVER seen someone slew a foot like that, not even close.

I think Marty McSorely should have gone to jail for his hit on Brashear back when that happened.
I think Chara should have joined McSorely in jail for that intentional crosscheck into the open penalty box door. Dirty players gonna play dirty.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone who thinks this dude shouldn't be prosecuted, needs their head examined

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I assume this is just more troll work from you? If you kick someone in the throat with a blade, you deserve to be prosecuted and do time.
Once you get on a roll with a good troll it’s a hard habit to kick

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.