Hockey player killed on the ice; perp arrested for manslaughter

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In all my years, I cannot recollect at anytime a leg being that high. Maybe if the player had been actively knocked off both feet or sent into the air. I would say it would be very hard to prove the contact was not intentional. Saw last night on the news that guy was the most penalized player in that league last year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Egor ain't too bright
Fbi Hippie GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
If you kick someone in the throat with sneakers your trying to do them harm. If you kick them in the throat with ice skates on you can assume that the possibility exists that you could kill them. He needs to be charged.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s pretty simple. Kill someone in a car accident while driving within the normal framework of the law, it’s a tragedy, but you wouldn’t be charged. Kill someone in a car accident while excessively speeding, under the influence, or knowingly being distracted in some other irresponsible form, you are probably going to get a manslaughter charge. Hockey is a violent sport, and if a player was checked or into and hit his head and died, it would be the first car accident example. The moment you intentionally kick someone with your skate, especially high, you’re no longer within the general framework of the sport. It’s not murder, but it certainly worthy of manslaughter.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It’s pretty simple. Kill someone in a car accident while driving within the normal framework of the law, it’s a tragedy, but you wouldn’t be charged. Kill someone in a car accident while excessively speeding, under the influence, or knowingly, being distracted I some other irresponsible form, you are probably going to get a manslaughter charge. Hockey is a violent sport, and if a player was checked or into and hit his head and died, it would be the first car accident example. The moment you intentionally kick someone with your skate, especially high, you’re no longer within the general framework of the sport. It’s not murder, but it certainly worthy of manslaughter.
i think it is murder. intent is hard to prove but that video is hard to deny. he made a beeline straight for the dude, then made a completely unnatural and non-hockey related move to flip his leg around and kick him high. that intentional act to injure resulted in death.

If you walk up to someone and crack them upside the head, you may not have intended to kill them, but if they die, you are getting charged with murder. I see zero daylight between that scenario and what this sht stain did.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
i think it is murder. intent is hard to prove but that video is hard to deny. he made a beeline straight for the dude, then made a completely unnatural and non-hockey related move to flip his leg around and kick him high. that intentional act to injure resulted in death.

If you walk up to someone and crack them upside the head, you may not have intended to kill them, but if they die, you are getting charged with murder. I see zero daylight between that scenario and what this sht stain did.

Don’t get me wrong. If I wrote the rules, it would be murder. As it is, though, he’d unlikely every be convicted and, without knowing the context, it would be impossible to prove there was direct intent to kill. No question the guy should be in jail.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It’s pretty simple. Kill someone in a car accident while driving within the normal framework of the law, it’s a tragedy, but you wouldn’t be charged. Kill someone in a car accident while excessively speeding, under the influence, or knowingly, being distracted I some other irresponsible form, you are probably going to get a manslaughter charge. Hockey is a violent sport, and if a player was checked or into and hit his head and died, it would be the first car accident example. The moment you intentionally kick someone with your skate, especially high, you’re no longer within the general framework of the sport. It’s not murder, but it certainly worthy of manslaughter.
Slew footing is a penalty in every hockey league on the planet. Depending on the result of slew footing, it can be a minor or a major, and lead to other sanctions.

So in this case, it is intentional, and because of the outcome, whether it was intended or not, I think should definitely be manslaughter or some kind of reckless endangerment. In fact, I have NEVER seen someone slew a foot like that, not even close.

I think Marty McSorely should have gone to jail for his hit on Brashear back when that happened.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
It’s pretty simple. Kill someone in a car accident while driving within the normal framework of the law, it’s a tragedy, but you wouldn’t be charged. Kill someone in a car accident while excessively speeding, under the influence, or knowingly being distracted in some other irresponsible form, you are probably going to get a manslaughter charge. Hockey is a violent sport, and if a player was checked or into and hit his head and died, it would be the first car accident example. The moment you intentionally kick someone with your skate, especially high, you’re no longer within the general framework of the sport. It’s not murder, but it certainly worthy of manslaughter.
So here, I would think they can never establish intent. But he still raised his leg and the death was caused. I do not see how he can ever play again, how the league can let him. At minimum, suspension until the team can legally remove him.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Slew footing is a penalty in every hockey league on the planet. Depending on the result of slew footing, it can be a minor or a major, and lead to other sanctions.

So in this case, it is intentional, and because of the outcome, whether it was intended or not, I think should definitely be manslaughter or some kind of reckless endangerment. In fact, I have NEVER seen someone slew a foot like that, not even close.

I think Marty McSorely should have gone to jail for his hit on Brashear back when that happened.
Even the Hanson Brothers would have drawn the line at slew footing like that!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I know nothing about hockey. I have a hard time seeing how his leg should be that high. However, everyone I've seen who plays the game thinks it was just a terrible accident. I'm at a loss as to how. None of them have explained how that could happen by accident.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I know nothing about hockey. I have a hard time seeing how his leg should be that high. However, everyone I've seen who plays the game thinks it was just a terrible accident. I'm at a loss as to how. None of them have explained how that could happen by accident.
Again, I don't think for a minute he intended to seriously injure, let alone kill, the other player. However, as someone who started playing hockey at age 5, the movement he made with his leg to try to break up the play (the guy had the puck and was going around him) was intentional, is a penalty/not allowed in any league, at any age, anywhere on the planet. The question is, what do you do to him.

That said, I think this incident was 1000% less intentional than what Marty McSorley did to Brashear (and I never liked Brashear). While he never played another game, he was only suspended, not booted from hockey, and he got probation on the assault charge. Bertuzzi's sucker punch from behind to Moore was probably even worse.

But to go back to Sofla's analogy, he "broke the law" and someone died because of it.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Strange things from the UK:

Arrest him on suspicion of manslaughter.

But first, the fans of the killer's team had to give him a standing ovation in support:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Strange things from the UK:

Arrest him on suspicion of manslaughter.

But first, the fans of the killer's team had to give him a standing ovation in support:
Well, they do eat blood pudding over there.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Again, I don't think for a minute he intended to seriously injure, let alone kill, the other player. However, as someone who started playing hockey at age 5, the movement he made with his leg to try to break up the play (the guy had the puck and was going around him) was intentional, is a penalty/not allowed in any league, at any age, anywhere on the planet. The question is, what do you do to him.

That said, I think this incident was 1000% less intentional than what Marty McSorley did to Brashear (and I never liked Brashear). While he never played another game, he was only suspended, not booted from hockey, and he got probation on the assault charge. Bertuzzi's sucker punch from behind to Moore was probably even worse.

But to go back to Sofla's analogy, he "broke the law" and someone died because of it.
I agree 100 percent with your first sentence . This is a penalty , not a crime that should be prosecuted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator