How about Trask & Jones on the field together?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I doubt any modern P5 CFB program would attain more than mediocre success on a national level with an unbalanced run/pass ratio and that would also include too heavy of a passing game. Every game is different but moving the ball effectively is the key...Sorry if I see us not being able to take 6-8 yards almost at will from a crappy team like UT as a possible weakness but unless we figure something out we may struggle against better teams.
If we completed 22-28 passes for 2 or 3 TD's and ran the ball for a 5-6 ypc average and beat Auburn 31-14 would you be complaining that our game plan set modern football back 50 years?
Of course not. Dumb post. Reality is slamming the back into the line repeatedly is not working so don’t force it. Exploit what’s working. Right now, the passing game works. Hopefully, DCs over adjust to the pass so we can find balance with the run. Hasn’t happened and Trask looks good slinging it so why stop?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I only played football in HS but people need to understand some plays you run that look hopeless may be setting up plays
that are hopeful. Running into the "line" as you say may be trying to keep the LB's in so something to the TE will work over the middle. Or drawing the LBs in and then go outside.............It aint always obvious.............and sometimes you do something long enough come to expect and react but now you are doing something they dont expect. 34-3 over UT is always good.............always..........

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You either lose a skill player or a blocker when two quarterbacks are on the field. So no.
Exactly. There is only one ball to split between them.

If there were two balls, they'd be "resting snuggly on your mother's chin, Trabek."

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dumb post.
EABOD Dumbass....Open your f vcking ears and eyes. Not once have I advocated from running into the backs of the line. Finding a way to run the ball when you're beating a weak ass team like the one we were playing Saturday and this coming week would be the smart thing to do wouldn't you think? Probably not. Here's to hoping Trask is as unstoppable in October as you seem to think he is right now...Smart money certainly won't bet that way.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
EABOD Dumbass....Open your f vcking ears and eyes. Not once have I advocated from running into the backs of the line. Finding a way to run the ball when you're beating a weak ass team like the one we were playing Saturday and this coming week would be the smart thing to do wouldn't you think? Probably not. Here's to hoping Trask is as unstoppable in October as you seem to think he is right now...Smart money certainly won't bet that way.
No wonder the majority of the board thinks you’re an idiot. Let me type really slow for you...

1) Trask is talented but about as inexperienced as they come. Dude’s entire experience since his freshman year of HS has been mop up duty. Allowing him to get plenty of experience reading the defense is priority 1.

2) The coaches tried all game long to shake up the running game. Different OL combos, different RBs, different QB, under center, shotgun RPOs, etc. I’m fairly certain they exhausted just about everything they installed during the week. Nothing worked until Tennessee got tired. They were not about to start trying concepts they only practiced in the fall (or maybe they did - and it still didn’t work). It was not worth sacrificing live action for the extremely inexperienced QB to continue searching for an answer that may not be there.

3) I, and many others, remember your stupidity in the box - it is why you got booted. You hollered the entire game for more rushing attempts even though it was not working. Even in the first half when the game was in doubt. I’m guessing your favorite 1st half drive was when EJ came in and we went 3 and out - at least we had three rushing attempts, yay!

Look, I get it. You worship at the thrown of pigbert. You want to see the 80s come back. This whole passing thing is for the birds - real men strap on their concrete helmet, outmuscle the dude in front of them, create holes, and the RB runs over LBs. This whole passing offense thing is for pansies and liberals. Spurrier and his dainty friends came into Gainesville and totally screwed up a long term good thing - consistent mediocrity.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No wonder the majority of the board thinks you’re an idiot. Let me type really slow for you...

1) Trask is talented but about as inexperienced as they come. Dude’s entire experience since his freshman year of HS has been mop up duty. Allowing him to get plenty of experience reading the defense is priority 1.

2) The coaches tried all game long to shake up the running game. Different OL combos, different RBs, different QB, under center, shotgun RPOs, etc. I’m fairly certain they exhausted just about everything they installed during the week. Nothing worked until Tennessee got tired. They were not about to start trying concepts they only practiced in the fall (or maybe they did - and it still didn’t work). It was not worth sacrificing live action for the extremely inexperienced QB to continue searching for an answer that may not be there.

3) I, and many others, remember your stupidity in the box - it is why you got booted. You hollered the entire game for more rushing attempts even though it was not working. Even in the first half when the game was in doubt. I’m guessing your favorite 1st half drive was when EJ came in and we went 3 and out - at least we had three rushing attempts, yay!

Look, I get it. You worship at the thrown of pigbert. You want to see the 80s come back. This whole passing thing is for the birds - real men strap on their concrete helmet, outmuscle the dude in front of them, create holes, and the RB runs over LBs. This whole passing offense thing is for pansies and liberals. Spurrier and his dainty friends came into Gainesville and totally screwed up a long term good thing - consistent mediocrity.
You live in an alternate reality Pal....do you have imaginary friends in there with you also?
Throwing the same passes to a wide open part of the field over and over is not going to help Trask when the defenses actually change what they're doing...The game was in hand in the 3rd quarter and that's also about when EJ came into the game and had a good drive using a different look to our rushing game...did you even notice we were getting 6 plus yards on every carry of that drive? Maybe you turned it off because we weren't throwing to the same wide open field that a corpse could complete passes to.

Maybe you're not old enough to remember that SOS had RB's that were pretty damned good also...seems a few of them were named Taylor, Rhett, Jackson, Gillespie and Graham.....In fact since you don't remember go back and watch his only NC when we ran wild on FSU after having them shutdown our passing game 6 weeks earlier.....hmmm seems like SOS could find a way to run when we had to.

Now maybe you should show me examples of where all of Hal Mumme, Mike Leach and Dana Holgersons NC are.....

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You live in an alternate reality Pal....do you have imaginary friends in there with you also?
Throwing the same passes to a wide open part of the field over and over is not going to help Trask when the defenses actually change what they're doing...The game was in hand in the 3rd quarter and that's also about when EJ came into the game and had a good drive using a different look to our rushing game...did you even notice we were getting 6 plus yards on every carry of that drive? Maybe you turned it off because we weren't throwing to the same wide open field that a corpse could complete passes to.

Maybe you're not old enough to remember that SOS had RB's that were pretty damned good also...seems a few of them were named Taylor, Rhett, Jackson, Gillespie and Graham.....In fact since you don't remember go back and watch his only NC when we ran wild on FSU after having them shutdown our passing game 6 weeks earlier.....hmmm seems like SOS could find a way to run when we had to.

Now maybe you should show me examples of where all of Hal Mumme, Mike Leach and Dana Holgersons NC are.....
Stop making this so easy.

Trask is finding open receivers in part because he’s reading the defense! Something he needs experience at. Additionally, he’s manipulating the defense with his eyes - looking off safeties, etc. Another thing he needs to keep getting experience in. Finally, he showed in the 3rd quarter (he played most of the 3rd, Jones didn’t enter until the very end of the quarter) that he still needs work - both INTs resulted from overconfidence in a poor read. We did not start ripping off high YPC until he 4th when Pierce was breaking tackles, EJ had to be accounted for, and Tennessee was gassed.

I remember SOS well. He passed to open up the run. His teams ran well but generally late in games after passing built a lead. Additionally, his running game was so effective because other teams could never stack the box - that was suicide against Spurrier. I’m hoping opposing DCs start backing off earlier in games now that they’ve seen Trask’s ability to complete passes allowing a numbers advantages for the running game. I don’t think we will see improvement there until that happens - our guys just don’t win one on one against DLs right now.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I remember SOS well. He passed to open up the run. His teams ran well but generally late in games after passing built a lead.
SOS never won a big game, FSU, UM, NU when the ground game wasn't working and has since mentioned there were times where he tried to throw too often....one reason he had a losing record against FSU....Look it up, when we ran we won, when we didn't(in big games)we lost. He even changed his offense at USCe to prove it.....Again teams don't win titles strickly passing the ball....they just don't.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
How about a group of plays where both are out there together to confuse the hell out of the defense? The possibilities are endless.

What you hate to see is the defense knowing that every time Jones comes in, all we're going to do is run the ball. I'm really praying Mullen gets more creative.

Discuss.

#TheMarchToAMillionPosts

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
SOS never won a big game, FSU, UM, NU when the ground game wasn't working and has since mentioned there were times where he tried to throw too often....one reason he had a losing record against FSU....Look it up, when we ran we won, when we didn't(in big games)we lost. He even changed his offense at USCe to prove it.....Again teams don't win titles strickly passing the ball....they just don't.
No crap but you continue to miss the point. WE ARE NOT WINNING A TITLE WITH THIS TEAM. You can not magically generate a running game. It is not there right now. The passing game is our best weapon to stay competitive. Maybe that passing game becomes such a dangerous threat that teams stay in coverage instead of trying to stop the run allowing some ground success. Hope it happens soon. We’ll see come Auburn.

No matter how you look at it, you are wrong. Continuing to force a rushing attack will resort in sure losses with no chance for success due to our OL’s apparent lack of run blocking ability. Wrong. Thinking this team is a rushing attack away from a championship is delusional - it’ll never happen with Grantham on the sideline. Wrong. Artificially handicapping our best chance to win games (passing) to appease pigbert lovers brings everyone misery. Wrong.

Now, if you were arguing that we need to have balance in future seasons when our OL is proficient at blocking for both, then I’d agree. Right. If you want to recruit better OL so we can fully open the playbook and hit a 50/50 balance, I’d agree. Right. If you think Mullen prefers a solid running game to be complimented by a passing attack, I’d agree. Right.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No crap but you continue to miss the point. WE ARE NOT WINNING A TITLE WITH THIS TEAM. You can not magically generate a running game. It is not there right now. The passing game is our best weapon to stay competitive. Maybe that passing game becomes such a dangerous threat that teams stay in coverage instead of trying to stop the run allowing some ground success. Hope it happens soon. We’ll see come Auburn.

No matter how you look at it, you are wrong. Continuing to force a rushing attack will resort in sure losses with no chance for success due to our OL’s apparent lack of run blocking ability. Wrong. Thinking this team is a rushing attack away from a championship is delusional - it’ll never happen with Grantham on the sideline. Wrong. Artificially handicapping our best chance to win games (passing) to appease pigbert lovers brings everyone misery. Wrong.

Now, if you were arguing that we need to have balance in future seasons when our OL is proficient at blocking for both, then I’d agree. Right. If you want to recruit better OL so we can fully open the playbook and hit a 50/50 balance, I’d agree. Right. If you think Mullen prefers a solid running game to be complimented by a passing attack, I’d agree. Right.
Thinking this team is a rushing attack away from a championship is delusional - it’ll never happen with Grantham on the sideline. Wrong. Artificially handicapping our best chance to win games (passing) to appease pigbert lovers brings everyone misery. Wrong.
Thinking this team can't still lose 4 or 5 games relying on a one dimensional offense is WRONG....Yes you do continue to work on the running game because not to do so is certain suicide. Just because the line hasn't performed well YET doesn't mean they won't make(personnel)changes and formational changes.....small tweeks in the running game are ALL the difference.
Hell if you weren't so busy trying to argue with someone who probably has 15X as much football knowledge as you or just about anyone on this board you would take your head out of your ass and see what a one player change(Gouraige) made in pass protection the last 2 weeks...or what a difference Trask made in the passing game....or what difference an option look running game with EJ made in the second half on a couple of drives...We were playing a cupcake last week and again this week....priority one is to work out the kinks in the running game get a few passing reps in and get off the field without injuries if possible....it's football 101...

As far as TG being the reason for not winning a championship this year shouldn't matter according to your logic....hell we'll just throw it around the yard more to catch up when were behind right? Even SOS knew back in the early 2000's that was a recipe for disaster:facepalm:.
Try and get out of your fantasy football mindset and realize NO team EVER has won a championship being a one dimensional passing team....EVER. Ask Pigbert…..he has 3 more titles than anyone who advocates that system and that is saying something.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Try and get out of your fantasy football mindset and realize NO team EVER has won a championship being a one dimensional passing team....EVER. Ask Pigbert…..he has 3 more titles than anyone who advocates that system and that is saying something.
Dang dude, you’re as stubborn and dumb as they come. Why do you keep talking about championships? WE ARE NOT WINNING ONE, no matter what adjustments we make. If Trask starts throwing for 500 yards, its not happening. We don’t have the talent and Grantham is too high risk to not drop a game. @ltraz, help a brother out.

And I’m not preaching that we should abandon the running game altogether - just that its not the priority while breaking in a guy who has rarely played QB. I’m saying that you’re a moron who wanted to abandon the passing game to work on the rushing game in the first half. Its like a) you want every game to be a Muschamp/pigbert slugfest, b) you hate fun, and c) you have this insane delusion that Florida can adjust and maybe make a run. @Swamp Donkey drop some knowledge on concrete skull.

Finally, your age doesn’t mean crap. Congrats, you are old and have seen a lot of football that doesn’t apply anymore unless you think 3 yards and a cloud of dust is revving back up soon or Nebraska is on the cusp of resuscitating the wing T.

I’ll throw you a bone: One thing I think we can both agree on is that success starts in the trenches. That’s why teams like Bama, Clemson, and Oklahoma can run a spread offense so successfully. Each basically passes and runs at will because their OL is so dominant. UGA, adherents to an out of date football philosophy, will never win even with a dominant OL. They believe in a football system that you prefer - grinding running game to set up PA.

Wingtee

Mar 11, 2018
Dang dude, you’re as stubborn and dumb as they come. Why do you keep talking about championships? WE ARE NOT WINNING ONE, no matter what adjustments we make. If Trask starts throwing for 500 yards, its not happening. We don’t have the talent and Grantham is too high risk to not drop a game. @ltraz, help a brother out.

And I’m not preaching that we should abandon the running game altogether - just that its not the priority while breaking in a guy who has rarely played QB. I’m saying that you’re a moron who wanted to abandon the passing game to work on the rushing game in the first half. Its like a) you want every game to be a Muschamp/pigbert slugfest, b) you hate fun, and c) you have this insane delusion that Florida can adjust and maybe make a run. @Swamp Donkey drop some knowledge on concrete skull.

Finally, your age doesn’t mean crap. Congrats, you are old and have seen a lot of football that doesn’t apply anymore unless you think 3 yards and a cloud of dust is revving back up soon or Nebraska is on the cusp of resuscitating the wing T.

I’ll throw you a bone: One thing I think we can both agree on is that success starts in the trenches. That’s why teams like Bama, Clemson, and Oklahoma can run a spread offense so successfully. Each basically passes and runs at will because their OL is so dominant. UGA, adherents to an out of date football philosophy, will never win even with a dominant OL. They believe in a football system that you prefer - grinding running game to set up PA.
Kinda like the Wing T

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ox coming up with an idea like two QBs on the field together reminds me of Coach Cline. He PRETENDS to fake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator