How it used to be

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n271578 said:
I didn't read through the whole thread but didn't it get louder after they finished the additional seats which basically closed off the stadium?

Yes.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n271298 said:
There was a big change in the Swamp that made it much louder in 1991.

It used to be a horseshoe with the North Endzone open at the top. That made it a little cooler (more breeze coming in) and not as loud.

1991 was the first season after the North Endzone expansion.

Trust me...I saw games there before and after and it made a BIG difference. It was a combination of a lot more fans screaming and all the noise reverberating back to the field.

Plus, that's the year Spurrier named it the Swamp.

I'm not saying the fans were louder or crazier after 1991...but the stadium WAS much louder.

Alex.

Bingo. Great post.

Dec 10, 2014
T REX;n271578 said:
I didn't read through the whole thread but didn't it get louder after they finished the additional seats which basically closed off the stadium?

Uh... yes rex. It got louder when they added more seats and closed in the stadium...

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n270784 said:
Louis Oliver and Lawrence Wright are my all time favorite Gator safeties. Elam is up ther, too.

Got to add Ephesians Bartley to that list. When he laid out Kinchen from LSU back in 1990, I thought he had killed him, the poor bastard didn't move for five minutes.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Monty Grow!!!!

Man those were the days. The hit, Studstill has no clue what is going on then Lawrence return for a TD:

[video=youtube;prbk6t74rSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prbk6t74rSo[/video]

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think you are allowed to do that anymore. They've taken most of the football out of football.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n271167 said:
This was the height of the pandemonium in the Swamp, I still get chills watching it. I remember yelling so loud after that Johnson-to-Quezzie play that I nearly passed out. I also miss Sean McDonough calling our games. He fed off the Swamp's energy and loved calling games there. You could hear in his voice, he was caught up in the emotion and energy of the crowd:

Definite chills. I took a buddy from work to the game. It was his first ever at the Swamp. I've been very fortunate to have been there for all of the awesome games during Hall and SOS.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
divits;n270641 said:
Before cell phones, before 4.8 GPA requirements, before big screen TVs, before instant gratification demands and before years of agonizing offense, missing game day at the Swamp was unheard of. Even when teams like New Mexico State came to town the Swamp was packed and rockin'.

While I think we have a long way to go before teams fear playing in the Swamp again, here's hoping this Saturday sets the tone for the future in a positive way.

"But to truly understand and appreciate what “The Swamp” was like in Spurrier’s hey day, consider the words of New Mexico State coach Bill Hess, who was in absolute awe of what his team experienced.

“I don’t think you’re No. 1 just because you run up 70 points on somebody, but I’ll say this about Florida -- they’ve got a No. 1 atmosphere. I’ve never seen such a rabidness, such mania with a crowd,” Hess said. “When Florida ran on the field, the fans nearly blew the roof off the place. We’re not used to that in Las Cruces (N.M.). It was deafening. The crowd was just toying with us.”

He wasn’t done.

“I hate to see it when Alabama or Auburn comes in here,” Hess continued. “It’s probably just as awesome for them, too. This place is a different world. Those people know how to make noise.”

To the next generation of Gators fans, consider this a history lesson of what a day at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium can be. "

https://www.gatorzone.com/harry/blog/...%20years%20ago)
I just saw this. There never had been a Spurrier in the SEC before 1990 and never will be another Spurrier in the SEC (at least when what he was in the 90s)
. He was unique and one of a kind. We deserved him and embraced him. He was the antidote for all that infected UF football for 85 years. He healed all wounds and gave us all the things we wanted and dreamed about. What he did to Georgia as the HBC was the greatest thing in UF football history. We can never pay him what it was worth, Fck UGA and go gators..........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I just saw on Page five it was about loud. That FSU game when we won about 13-7 and Eric Rhett was running a lot and Matt Fryer was hammered in the endzone at the end so he missed a Casey Weldon pass..........that was the loudest fkcn stadium on earth,.........my ears were ringing and my head hurt..........and I NEVER get a headache.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n271687 said:
I just saw on Page five it was about loud. That FSU game when we won about 13-7 and Eric Rhett was running a lot and Matt Fryer was hammered in the endzone at the end so he missed a Casey Weldon pass..........that was the loudest fkcn stadium on earth,.........my ears were ringing and my head hurt..........and I NEVER get a headache.

i was there for that game. My head is still ringing.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I was sick in bed in Sledd Hall (Murphree) listening to WRUF when Kerwin stumbled in for the two point conversion. The noise from the stadium preceded the radio by a second or two and the decibel level literally made me jump - but I still think that '97 game had to have registered on a seismic scale somewhere.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
ufgator812;n270822 said:

The Joey Kent hit was so massive and momentum shifted so much that despite Ut scoring on a Danny fumble the very next play, the Gators STILL rolled them from that point forward.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The sound when SC's kicker lined up for the blocked FG in 2006 was beyond deafening

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator