Hurricane Dorian

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Until they don't warn people properly and catastrophe happens and everyone blames them for not warning people. They do the best they can with the information they have. Weather is unpredictable, especially hurricanes. This thing started off as a small storm that wasn't a threat to anyone because it was going to cross Hispaniola, weaken, and die as a tropical storm over Florida. The best anyone can do is prepare accordingly using the information they have. The worst thing that happens if the storms misses is you waste some time putting up and taking down shutters and spend a little too much money at the grocery store. That's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Is this a defense of the media or a defense of how people "do the best they can with the information they have."?

If the former, no surprise there.
If the latter, MOM.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Is this a defense of the media or a defense of how people "do the best they can with the information they have."?

If the former, no surprise there.
If the latter, MOM.
It's both. What do you expect them to do? Not relay the information the NHC is putting out? If you're upset with the sensationalizing of it, maybe just stick to following what weathermen are saying as opposed to any opinion-based programming. Either that or tell yourself it's not going to be as bad as they say every time one of these is on the way and take that chance with your life and property.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Everything you said above the picture is in the post I put up last week. Very little critical thought in the media regarding hurricane/climate science. It doesn’t drive viewership or clicks so they go the sensational route.

Sorry for the repetition. I didn't read through the previous 10+ pages.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Until they don't warn people properly and catastrophe happens and everyone blames them for not warning people. They do the best they can with the information they have. Weather is unpredictable, especially hurricanes. This thing started off as a small storm that wasn't a threat to anyone because it was going to cross Hispaniola, weaken, and die as a tropical storm over Florida. The best anyone can do is prepare accordingly using the information they have. The worst thing that happens if the storms misses is you waste some time putting up and taking down shutters and spend a little too much money at the grocery store. That's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.
You’re speaking in the ideal - not in human nature, the realistic. Stirring up mass panic a week in advance of something that history says most likely won’t happen numbs must folks to the danger. And if you don’t think its advertiser/click driven - don’t forget, this is when they are most popular throughout the year - I don’t know what to tell you.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You’re speaking in the ideal - not in human nature, the realistic. Stirring up mass panic a week in advance of something that history says most likely won’t happen numbs must folks to the danger. And if you don’t think its advertiser/click driven - don’t forget, this is when they are most popular throughout the year - I don’t know what to tell you.
Like I said, follow the people whose jobs are to monitor and project these storms. Stay away from opinion-based news sources (which is good advice in general).

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Like I said, follow the people whose jobs are to monitor and project these storms. Stay away from opinion-based news sources (which is good advice in general).
Weather personnel are generally the worst. Ever heard of this dude named Jim Cantore? He’s the eye of the media circus hurricane.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Weather personnel are generally the worst. Ever heard of this dude named Jim Cantore? He’s the eye of the media circus hurricane.
Tell you what. Next time a hurricane is headed your way, just ignore everyone and do your own thing. Hopefully you don't end up living on a concrete foundation with nothing around it.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Tell you what. Next time a hurricane is headed your way, just ignore everyone and do your own thing. Hopefully you don't end up living on a concrete foundation with nothing around it.
How about this - why don’t you keep believing all the mass hysteria instead of making your own assessment of things? Kind of like your ascertains earlier in this thread. And I’m sure I’m not the only one who noticed you whistled past by my post with relevant, scientific hurricane information. I’m guessing that was intentional as it doesn’t support your narrative.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
How about this - why don’t you keep believing all the mass hysteria instead of making your own assessment of things? Kind of like your ascertains earlier in this thread. And I’m sure I’m not the only one who noticed you whistled past by my post with relevant, scientific hurricane information. I’m guessing that was intentional as it doesn’t support your narrative.
I did make my own assessment late last week. I went to the store, got some extra food just in case, and waited to see what the storm would do. Imagine that!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Applying a worst-case scenario results in the best total protection.
Still, you can't tell me the commercially packaged stations don't have "playbooks to maximize viewership" at the ready. And they are raring to go, all out.... and they did that, because Dorian sounded enough bells and whistles.

Problem is just about nobody is experimenting or brainstorming with ways of intervention. Think outside the box. We've mastered the unmanned remote guidance systems. We can attack things from afar.

A Norwegian research firm has developed a way to lower the surface water temperature to below supporting a hurricane's cyclonic formation. They use bubble-curtain piping. Submerged 375 feet, polyurethane pipes' bubbles carrying deep cooler water to the surface to drop surface-water temp to 25 degrees centigrade, a drop of just 3 degrees from typical temps. No matter how expensive to master, each hurricane prevented will avoid around $280 billion damage per each storm, plus saving lives. Even partial success might keep hurricanes down to the cat-2 strength.??

The bubble-curtain works. Norway uses them to prevent their fjords from freezing over and clogging ship navigation. The deep waters there are much warmer than the wind-touched surface waters. Bubbles take the warmer water to warm the surface = no ice formation.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
As the originator of this post, methinks it’s time to remove it as a featured post.
Florida was barely impacted. The end.

Name and town if you wish to opine.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We don’t even get the weather channel on our TV. We have no idea where Jim Cantore is. What we do is follow local meteorologists and listen to what they say. They’ve been damn helpful the last few years and are far from sensationalist. But sure, let’s all be complete a$$holes and project. The joys of social media when everyone can sit behind a keyboard and have a dick measuring contest.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
We don’t even get the weather channel on our TV. We have no idea where Jim Cantorie is. What we do is follow local meteorologists and listen to what they say. They’ve been damn helpful the last few years and are far from sensationalist. But sure, let’s all be complete a$$holes and project. The joys of social media when everyone can sit behind a keyboard and have a dick measuring contest.

:raysgirl:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I thought Gov. DeSantis stayed away from panic-hype and was pretty steady at the helm. I also didn’t think the media went too crazy.

But on my own....I probably took more precautions than I have in the past. Not sure why but I had a bad feeling about this one.

(1) put shutters up
(2) had generator at the ready
(3) gassed all the vehicles
(4)filled a 55 gal drum with fuel with another drum ready to go if needed.
(5) bought enough beer, water and food

And nothing happened. So I’ll use the drum to fill up my Jeep a few times and save the beer and food for next Gator Party. No money wasted. Lost some time clearing the land and putting up the shutters.

Good drill for next event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.