Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
NEVER FORGET!!!

rebuild.jpg

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Note the title change - it’s headed out to sea and will dissipate.

Name and town if you wish to opine.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
After hearing a few people hope it hit Mar a lago last week I was sort of hoping it would swing in to catch Obama's beach front mansion this weekend. I was hoping I could pull up a couple of old posts I saw on another site about Mar a Lago and comment see God knows who his enemies are.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
confirmed 43 dead in the Bahamas, and they are expecting that number to skyrocket... :(

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
confirmed 43 dead in the Bahamas, and they are expecting that number to skyrocket... :(

Surprised it isnt ten times or more higher with all the crazy people there that decided to hunker down instead of seeking the few buildings that thy knew would hold up to the wind at least and only flood.

Craziest and saddest story was the guy who lost his 5 year old son because he saw sharks in the flood waters and put him on the roof and he was swept away before he made it up there with a broken leg he had sustained. I thought I was seeing stuff but in one of the early videos I thought I saw a shark swimming around but I had always heard they usually went to deeper water when they sensed a storm was coming.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you’re poor and you live on a small island that’s flat as a table, where are you going to go?
As I understood, they were ferrying anyone and everyone to other islands that weren’t expected to get a direct hit. Many (hundreds) chose to stay and ride it out. Insanity.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The areas that took the bad hit were very affluent areas, and not just resorts for affluent transients. We're talking residences in the upper 6 and 7 figure marks. The "im poor and have no option" people were the large minority.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
The areas that took the bad hit were very affluent areas, and not just resorts for affluent transients. We're talking residences in the upper 6 and 7 figure marks. The "im poor and have no option" people were the large minority.

Regardless of who you are, it's still relatively small islands. Even more so than in Florida, you can't just decide to evacuate a day before. There is a lot more to thousands of people trying to find safety when flying or boats are your only option.

I spent the last week involved with command teams prepping for managing Urban Search & Rescue teams for Florida. Remember that on Friday of last week, this storm was forecast to go right up the middle of the state as a major hurricane. Fortunately for us in Florida, the single outlier track on the spaghetti models was the winner (the orange one by the way!)

Decisions on pre-positioning US&R teams changed every day. Initially, on Sunday and Monday these task forces from all over the eastern US were spread out in Miami, Orlando and Jacksonville. Each day these teams were being moved further north as the track changed. These decisions were being made based on some pretty intensive meteorological analysis. It is hard for individuals to take all that in and come up with the right choice.

Kind of interesting being inside the Orange County Convention Center and seeing about a dozen helicopters in there, including 3 Blackhawks "stuck" in a corner. Big place.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kevin just made it back from little Abaco after a 400+ mile journey to bring 3000 lbs of supplies to some folks that were super happy to see them. Waiting on him to get home so he can write a detailed trip report.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Regardless of who you are, it's still relatively small islands. Even more so than in Florida, you can't just decide to evacuate a day before. There is a lot more to thousands of people trying to find safety when flying or boats are your only option.

I spent the last week involved with command teams prepping for managing Urban Search & Rescue teams for Florida. Remember that on Friday of last week, this storm was forecast to go right up the middle of the state as a major hurricane. Fortunately for us in Florida, the single outlier track on the spaghetti models was the winner (the orange one by the way!)

Decisions on pre-positioning US&R teams changed every day. Initially, on Sunday and Monday these task forces from all over the eastern US were spread out in Miami, Orlando and Jacksonville. Each day these teams were being moved further north as the track changed. These decisions were being made based on some pretty intensive meteorological analysis. It is hard for individuals to take all that in and come up with the right choice.

Kind of interesting being inside the Orange County Convention Center and seeing about a dozen helicopters in there, including 3 Blackhawks "stuck" in a corner. Big place.
that's great, but none of that was ever in question. My statement was in response to an emerging (false) narrative that all these ppl were poor with no options. That's all.

Last edited:

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
I have not seen any specifics on the demographics of who was affected, so I will definitely defer to you on that topic.

For the more affluent, at some point their only "option" became how well-built their house was - I suspect that there is not much in the way of hardened public shelters on the islands, no matter your income.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.